Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Michael Owen retires

I was just going to say, at one point he looked very good to break that record, very possibly completely butcher it.

Isn't he often used as an example of a player who was overused early on in their career and that had a detrimental effect to their later career? Would be interested as to how that compares with someone like Giggs, who was also well known for his blistering pace, but hasn't suffered with injuries in the same way and has managed to change his game to keep playing.

I was just going to say, at one point he looked very good to break that record, very possibly completely butcher it.

Isn't he often used as an example of a player who was overused early on in their career and that had a detrimental effect to their later career? Would be interested as to how that compares with someone like Giggs, who was also well known for his blistering pace, but hasn't suffered with injuries in the same way and has managed to change his game to keep playing.

I just looked at the wiki page for English International goalscorers. I used to think Rooney would smash the record, but now I'm not so sure. And Peter Crouch scored 22 goals for England? Wow. :eek:

he has done very well out of the game - and not been stupid with money - sure he'll be fine in retirement

Christ, only seems like yesterday he was bursting onto the scene as a young goalscorer. And now he's retired. Talk about time flying.

The Kop never quite took to him in the same way as other stars. They had him down as a mercenary. He did turn out to be a bit like that but I still cheered a lot of those early goals.

Didn't he buy a village for his family? He's also a horse trainer/owner? going down the Mike Channon post football career route.

Injuries took their toll - the first serious one and he lost that burst of acceleration and had to alter his game slightly. Then tactical changes where the old 4-4-2 system where he would thrive playing off a more physical forward started to fade away, and so did his opportunities.

He has 89 caps and scored 40 goals - hardly a wasted career. And he's still (somehow) (kind of) playing for a PL team. It's not exactly an awful life, is it?

It isn't but after that World Cup in '98 it looked like it was going to be glory all the way.

Yeah, he never quite achieved that but he's still scored 10 more goals than Shearer (which I find really surprising.) :)
Shearer was injured for a LONG time, which kept him out of international football.

I remember being really frustrated as a kid that our best striker couldn't be used.

To be fair, while I was never his greatest fan it's hard to argue with his (earlier) goalscoring record. Pace alone won't bag you those goals, you've also got to be able to use your pace in the right places and finish well.
I never said it was pace alone. But he was dependent on the pace. He lacked the attributes to cope without it.

Christ, only seems like yesterday he was bursting onto the scene as a young goalscorer. And now he's retired. Talk about time flying.
I've long thought that I'd feel old when I remember a player's debut at the point he retired. Don't remember his exact debut, but definitely been watching since before he was playing regularly.

S'all downhill from here :(

Back
Top Bottom