*Jessie Ware, "That! Feels Good!"
*Jockstrap, "I Love You, Jennifer B"
*Lankum, "False Lankum"
*Loyle Carner, "hugo"
*Olivia Dean, "Messy"
*Raye, "My 21st Century Blues"
*Shygirl, "Nymph"
*Young Fathers, "Heavy Heavy"

I've never been a big Arctic Monkeys fan, but with their older stuff I can see the attraction - it's great high-energy rock and roll, just not my thing for those intangible reasons I can't quite put my fingers on.

Their latest album though, I really don't get at all. It's beige, vanilla, radio 2 friendly, ballady dirge. Yet there it is on the Mercury list - help me out here, what are other people seeing and hearing that I'm not?

I've never been a big Arctic Monkeys fan, but with their older stuff I can see the attraction - it's great high-energy rock and roll, just not my thing for those intangible reasons I can't quite put my fingers on.

Their latest album though, I really don't get at all. It's beige, vanilla, radio 2 friendly, ballady dirge. Yet there it is on the Mercury list - help me out here, what are other people seeing and hearing that I'm not?
Pound signs

I've only listened to the Ezra Collective album out of all of those on the list, so I think that should win.

Obviously it'll be Arctic Monkeys instead though.

Mercury Prize = beige, radio friendly music so it makes perfect sense.

Its a no from me on that lankum track . 8 minutes of avante garde dirge folk? stick in the wheel far superior in the gritty alt-folk stakes IMHO.

Watching it tonight while the OH is swearing to the rugby. So you get to have my thoughts.

Jessie Ware - never understood why she is as famous as she is. Quite bland pop most of the time with what I think is a weak voice.

Artic monkeys - I find it quite amusing seeing them as bland as they are now considering how they were when they started. Quite like his voice though.

Ezra Collective - really like their stuff. And glad to see them do it.

Olivia Dean - hadn't heard her before but loved that performance of Carmen and will listen to more.

J-Hus - not heard before but the one I heard is cool, again will listen to more and having an album with 19 tracks feels like good value!!

Jockstrap - what I have heard of their stuff feels very early 2000s to me and not of now or different at all. Very surprised they were nominated.

Young Fathers - love them. But don't think this album is as good as their first, even though I like it lots.

Lankum - not heard of them at all and have to be in the mood for that type of stuff. But they are obviously good at it.

RAYE - love her to bits. Amazing voice with Amy Winehouse vibes but more reality and variety.

Fred again - not heard before, but seems quite happy and chilled. Will add to the list to listen more of. Although it seems this nominated album isn't on Spotify

SHYGIRL - yet again not heard of before. (Probably need to change the way I am finding new music). The song that was performed I liked. Although not particularly ground breaking.

Loyal Carner - I have a massive crush on him and his voice literally makes me wet when ever I hear it. Looked at seeing him live but was very grumpy that his cheapest tickets anywhere in London were £80. Not OK, especially considering where he has come from and some the things he talks about. But yeah, still love his shit.

Over all happy with the result. And the new stuff I have been introduced to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom