Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mavis Nicholson has died.

Hadnt heard of her. Seems to be quite psychoanalytical a style ... really interesting interviews there for sure. I watched some old Parkies on Youtube and he comes across a bit arselicky to me now

There's a certain innocence to interviews from those times. For the Bowie one, for instance, he doesn't appear to be plugging anything in particular. I don't think you can do that now. People appear on talk shows to promote something or other and the nature of the interview is dictated by that.

There's a certain innocence to interviews from those times. For the Bowie one, for instance, he doesn't appear to be plugging anything in particular. I don't think you can do that now. People appear on talk shows to promote something or other and the nature of the interview is dictated by that.
I was listening to Ron Brydon interview podcast and he was interviewing Alan Davies, and he made the point that Alan wasnt doing any tours or had a product out to sell and how unusual that was...made the point exactly that you made, I forget what examples he gave but people like Peter Ustinov or Kenneth Williams spring to mind for me in that they would just go on to talk and quite regularly at that

Daytime telly as well. You won't hear those questions on The One Show.

Totally agree. I watched the Maya Angelou and Bowie interviews and, to be fair, they were great. In fact, the full Bowie interview with her was maybe the most revealing one I've ever seen of him. Watched it on youtube last night.
To be honest I'd never heard of her, but she seems to have interviewed lots of well known faces. These two in particular I found fascinating:

The great author and civil right activist James Baldwin:

Quentin Crisp:

Will certainly watch more of her stuff.

Back
Top Bottom