Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Matrix’s PowerWatch 2 needs no charger, uses body heat and solar power

Fuck it. I'm out of here. I'll leave you two to chat about how this can run on 93mA for the next three million years, and power China at the same time... Ffs

To be fair, I’m a bit fuzzy.
I'm going to bookmark this thread and come back to it when V2 doesn't arrive or doesn't work as advertised, and I'm going to laugh, a lot, because it cannot possibly work. It's a scam. V1 was to convince idiots to buy into V2, and V2 is a complete scam!

Apologies, 8ball. I didn't mean to be insulting. At least you seem genuinely interested in whether or not it could ever work, as opposed to merely trying to score points.

Apologies, 8ball. I didn't mean to be insulting. At least you seem genuinely interested in whether or not it could ever work, as opposed to merely trying to score points.

It only looks like the push notifications that are pushing it, going by that list (the companion apps will run on a phone).

It’s also a lot bigger than the previous model.

The GPS and some other things that were mentioned were never claimed by the manufacturers, and I think the heart rate sensor is on the current model.

I’m not an electronic engineer, but I have a basic understanding about which functions suck up a lot of power.

Oh, just noticed the GPS.
Let’s exclude that one. :D

Edit: one “hands on” review said the prototype manages an hour of GPS then it needs a breather.

It only looks like the push notifications that are pushing it, going by that list (the companion apps will run on a phone).

It’s also a lot bigger than the previous model.

The GPS and some other things that were mentioned were never claimed by the manufacturers, and I think the heart rate sensor is on the current model.

I’m not an electronic engineer, but I have a basic understanding about which functions suck up a lot of power.
I'll be amazed if it manages fully functioning GPS.

Which makes it even more useless.

I kind of think there can’t be that many ultrarunners out there that can’t get to a charge point once a day or so.

I can see applications for the body heat charging that might be useful in terms of medical devices, though.

Still comes down to the fact that carrying batteries isn’t hard, though.

Yeah, a good bit of detail.
It certainly underlines that the aims are ambitious. I missed the GPS on the feature list, but that looks like both the USP and what might kill it.
A watch that lasts a single hour is already dead in the water. It's beyond useless. I can think of one single scenario where it might be of some use, and that's to review it for one hour.

Which makes it even more useless.

Well, that’s the thing - it seems it works just fine until you start wanting the GPS, which isn’t on the prototype that the very first reviewers were playing with.

Because of the “body heat” thing, maybe it will come out without that.

A watch that lasts a single hour is already dead in the water. It's beyond useless. I can think of one single scenario where it might be of some use, and that's to review it for one hour.

60-90 mins in “full on” continuous GPS. I’ve got myself to places with little bursts of GPS on my phone before.

60-90 mins in “full on” continuous GPS. I’ve got myself to places with little bursts of GPS on my phone before.
I've got myself to work on foot when my car ran out of petrol, but I'd have been mightily pissed off if the car had been advertised as never needing petrol.

Me too. It's clear that the watch isn't being advertised as a do-everything sportsperson's dream watch. It's a set of compromises like every other gadget out there and people can decide if its limitations and plus points suits their needs or not. Constantly slagging it off because it can't do absolutely everything as well as its rivals is a fruitless exercise.

I've had smartwatches for several years and battery life is the biggest pain in the arse. I'd happily lose a few whizz-bang features to gain a watch that doesn't need charging all the time. My Sony smartwatch didn't have GPS but was still able to relay 'next turn' notifications from the phone. Suited me fine.

My Sony smartwatch didn't have GPS but was still able to relay 'next turn' notifications from the phone. Suited me fine.
Where was your phone at the time? Let me guess. It was within a few feet of your smartwatch, rendering the watch more useless than this one :facepalm:

Where was your phone at the time? Let me guess. It was within a few feet of your smartwatch, rendering the watch more useless than this one :facepalm:
It suited my needs just fine so I've absolutely no idea what you're going on about now. It wasn't useless at all, It was exactly what I wanted.

I thought you'd left this thread anyway? I mean, how many times do you intend repeating the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom