Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mask ideas for masked ball

Cloo

Approved by toads
Going to a 'masked ball' burlesque night in October; I quite fancy customising a mask rather than buying off the shelf, but I have zero artistic skills, no patience and totally unsteady hands.

I'm wondering if my best bet is to find a plain half-mask base in a craft shop or online and then just going to Hobbycraft or somewhere and finding cool stuff to stick on it (maybe something a bit steampunky or lacy/glittery sexy). If I wasn't likely to totally fuck it up I could consider wrapping a plain base in washi tape, but I don't think it's a goer, although maybe my other half would be able to do it neatly. I could probably spray a plasticote base colour to make it more interesting as well.

My other thought is buying some lace and some spirit gum and basically glueing a lace mask on, but would have to practise first.

I think my basic outfit is going to be a long black satin skirt, short corset (probably blue brocade) and a vest top underneath.

Any tips for supplies, creative things that are easy etc?

Feathers. Feathers always good, loads of drama, light to wear, come dyed every colour and you can't mess it up too badly long as you're really sparing with the glue . :thumbs:

Looking at Hobbycraft website I'm wondering about blue-themed decoupage and maybe some extra sequins/feathers. They sell plain mache masks that are easy to add to; I think I can probably manage that (possibly overoptimistic though)

Looking at Hobbycraft website I'm wondering about blue-themed decoupage and maybe some extra sequins/feathers. They sell plain mache masks that are easy to add to; I think I can probably manage that (possibly overoptimistic though)
I suggest you buy a couple of bases - one to experiment on and one for best. :)

BTW lace can be tricky to glue onto a 3d surface. If you go down this route, I recommend using Spray Mount (the repositionable version) and not attempting to do it as a single piece of lace.

Last edited:
Enjoy...

Dog.gif

Cloo what I did before turning a blank white mask into a Day of the Dead themed one was to use google images to look at umpteen different masks which others had done.

A similar search (burlesque mask) might give you a clearer idea of what you like the look of when it comes to decorating your half mask or domino mask.

Back
Top Bottom