Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mark Lanegan RIP

For those who haven't seen that Mad Season stuff he did posted up above. It's utterlly brilliant. I used to watch it on repeat when I was a teen. Layne Staley, Mark Lanegan, Mike McCready from Pearl Jam, the Screaming Trees drummer and bizarrely the bassist is a random who McCready met in rehab. They only played two shows and that was that. Layne didn't last much longer I don't think. You can see he's a bit fucked but still, his voice. The two of them as a duet were incredible.

Here's another clip, which doesn't feature Lanegan (I think he only cameod on a couple of songs). But anyway, it's pretty good. Heartbreaking if you consider the context of what Layne was going through but still. That scene in Seattle in the mid 90s was quite special.

I've just read that -- shocking!!! :eek:

RIP :( :(
Yeah horrible stuff and sadly his mind took him on a hideous journey in the pandemic well before that period where Covid left him near death.

Take this May 2020 interview for example, which is full of paranoid bullshit about 5G and technology and people being out to get him in implausible ways.

He seemed to be in a better place by the follow-up interview in late 2020, but there were still some subtler signs that the underlying mindset hadnt really gone away:

By October 2021 he had learnt something about previous nasty pandemics and concluded the current one was natural. But still managed to draw some negative conclusions about nobody giving a fuck about each other, and seemed to be struggling to recognise the difference between paranoia, reasonable fear, and people trying to do the right thing vs being selfish.

By late 2021 he was honest about how wary he had been about vaccines, but how he had since seen the light:

RIP to him. He seemed like a vivid example of how damage and self-destruction and mental turmoil can foster creativity in some individuals. Personally it makes me sad that these tragic characters are sort of celebrated as a result, as we see with so many rock & roll myths, legends and stories of personal tragedy, just like we saw with other sorts of artists in previous ages. I mean its understandable that people see something impressive in that, something that resonates, when the people in question are able to communicate pain and suffering via beautiful art. But in middle age I tend to find that I cannot overlook the tragedies, I cannot laud the lifestyle, I find myself much preferring people to get better and to escape damaging attitudes and cycles and some grizzly fate, even if that comes at the expense of their art and the opportunity for music journalists to have some lazy, sensational fun.

Yeah horrible stuff and sadly his mind took him on a hideous journey in the pandemic well before that period where Covid left him near death.

Take this May 2020 interview for example, which is full of paranoid bullshit about 5G and technology and people being out to get him in implausible ways.

He seemed to be in a better place by the follow-up interview in late 2020, but there were still some subtler signs that the underlying mindset hadnt really gone away:

By October 2021 he had learnt something about previous nasty pandemics and concluded the current one was natural. But still managed to draw some negative conclusions about nobody giving a fuck about each other, and seemed to be struggling to recognise the difference between paranoia, reasonable fear, and people trying to do the right thing vs being selfish.

By late 2021 he was honest about how wary he had been about vaccines, but how he had since seen the light:

RIP to him. He seemed like a vivid example of how damage and self-destruction and mental turmoil can foster creativity in some individuals. Personally it makes me sad that these tragic characters are sort of celebrated as a result, as we see with so many rock & roll myths, legends and stories of personal tragedy, just like we saw with other sorts of artists in previous ages. I mean its understandable that people see something impressive in that, something that resonates, when the people in question are able to communicate pain and suffering via beautiful art. But in middle age I tend to find that I cannot overlook the tragedies, I cannot laud the lifestyle, I find myself much preferring people to get better and to escape damaging attitudes and cycles and some grizzly fate, even if that comes at the expense of their art and the opportunity for music journalists to have some lazy, sensational fun.
Normally I'd agree with you about hellraising rockstars being celebrated for their excesses, but it doesn't really feel like Lanegan is being celebrated for all that stuff - rather, he's being celebrated as someone who came through all that stuff and the person he's been in recent years. The tributes I've seen to him have almost all been fans talking about how kind and generous he was with his time, and collaborators talking about how empathetic, thoughtful and talented he was.

It's sad to read he got on the covid & 5g conspiracy train - the first interview you quote seems to be the words of someone suffering from an episode of something or the other though, I find it hard to judge that stuff too harshly

I'm not judging that stuff harshly, I tried to describe it in terms that imply empathy on my part.

I dont have a firm sense of his sobriety in the last decade or so, due to the way he talked about various pills when recounting his stay in hospital due to covid. And the state of mind implied by his covid conspiracy stuff may offer some explanation for the need to self-medicate throughout his life, although to run far with this idea requires too many assumptions.

Back
Top Bottom