Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Marine Electrics Query

eoin_k

Lawyer's fees, beetroot and music
Anybody know anything about marine electrics? We're helping some friends find their feet with a new canal boat.
When they tried to run a mains hook up the socket on shore was larger than the plug on their cable. Any suggestions of how to work round this? I've searched online for an adaptor, but can't find anything...

Anybody know anything about marine electrics? We're helping some friends find their feet with a new canal boat.
When they tried to run a mains hook up the socket on shore was larger than the plug on their cable. Any suggestions of how to work round this? I've searched online for an adaptor, but can't find anything...
The easiest way (having established that it's their plug at fault, and not the socket) would be to get a new plug wired onto the cable. They should be easy enough to source, and it's not much more tricky than wiring a standard 3-pin plug, so perfectly within the capabilities of a moderately tech-clued-in individual.

I'm by no means expert here, but would have thought that it's probably some sort of waterproof arrangement to plug a canal boat in to an outdoor socket.

is it anything akin to this? (presume other suppliers are available)

alternatively, can they ask whoever owns the mooring?

I'm by no means expert here, but would have thought that it's probably some sort of waterproof arrangement to plug a canal boat in to an outdoor socket.

is it anything akin to this? (presume other suppliers are available)

alternatively, can they ask whoever owns the mooring?
That's what I had in mind. The only thing I'm wondering is if the boat plug is one of those site (usually yellow/white) 110V plugs? There's no danger that the boat's rigged for 110V, is there?

Medlock sell the correct size hook up plugs, some of the mooring ones are oversized. Ours used to be like that.if you can, take a photo of it and go in the store. Medlock Electrical Distributors | Largest UK Electrical Wholesaler Who runs the moorings? Is it CRT or someone else? Most CRT hook ups are rated for 16amp but not all. Id see what the neighbours have and ask them.

Or someone who knows the score. :)
Yeh its a pain, they dont tell you that some services use massive plugs, we bought the caravan cables from Halfords only to find out the plugs dont fit into the service posts. So we had to cut them off and get the bigger plugs. Then they upgraded the mains on our mooring and we’ve had to swap back to small ones!

Yeh its a pain, they dont tell you that some services use massive plugs, we bought the caravan cables from Halfords only to find out the plugs dont fit into the service posts. So we had to cut them off and get the bigger plugs. Then they upgraded the mains on our mooring and we’ve had to swap back to small ones!

That's mad, I have the caravan one and it's a standard 16a 3 pin single phase connector. You'd expect that to be the standard. Wonder why they do that?

We need pictures, can't possibly advise without!
Marine electrics not my bag though.
Did the boat come with any paperwork? Eg test certificate for electrics? Before hooking up you really need to know that the boat electrics are safe and are not going to trip the supply for example

I appreciate everyone's concern, but it looks like the issue is the most foreseeable one of the boat having a 16 amp socket, but the mains supply point having a 32amp socket. I can see short changeover leads available online, but this doesn't seem ideal, since both ends are outside. I can't see longer cable's that do the changeover, so wiring a 32amp plug onto a 16 amp cable seems like the better solution.

s-l300.jpg

Or using one of these.

Are you sure you're trying to connect up the right voltages? Often in electrics, different size/types of plug indicate different voltages and/or systems, e.g. a 24v system.

Pics of both plug ends would be useful.

There are also some very useful Facebook groups, e.g. the London Boaters one that are busy and full of people willing to give sensible advice.

It's all 240 volt kit, but rated for different current, so far as I can tell.

It's all 240 volt kit, but rated for different current, so far as I can tell.
Will need photos of both plugs and outlets, and what the amp ratings are for each that are different. Like I said, in all electrics if plugs don't marry up, it's for a reason - usually safety. Running too many amps through an electrical system will cause it to overheat, wires melt, etc.

My ex is a marine engineer, and we're still on speaking terms. If you send pictures and all the voltage, amps, etc for both connections I could ask him. Definitely don't let your mates chop a plug off and "make" it fit without further advice, as it could easily cause a safety hazard (fire, electrocution, burned out equipment, etc).

Back
Top Bottom