Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Margate summer Funtimes

Callie

Pivoting
I am planning a trip to Margate soon. I will have a car so will be able to venture out of town to see STUFF!

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas of things to see and do in the Margate manor?

My list so far:
Gawp at the sea views
Play in the sand
Go in the sea
Visit Turner Contemporary
Shell grotto
Caves
Dinner at the restaurant Matthew Herbert opened (Sargasso)
Check out Faith in Strangers
Cat Neil catfitti spotting

Might swing by Whitstable either on the way there or back.

I am planning a trip to Margate soon. I will have a car so will be able to venture out of town to see STUFF!

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas of things to see and do in the Margate manor?

My list so far:
Gawp at the sea views
Play in the sand
Go in the sea
Shell grotto
Caves

I live in Margate...all of the above!

Longer reply incoming..when are you heading down?

If driving I recommend stopping at Reculver rather than Whitstable, my favourite spot on that north Kent coast. If you time it with sunset all the better, but beautiful any time of day. Likewise Minnis bay pub also does food, perfect for sunset... That's Birchington.

Talking of sunset in Margate there's a poshish restaurant called Waverley House and if you breeze in and go upstairs and go straight out onto the veranda that's a perfect spot for a sunset drink. Just ignore the restaurant bit.

A swim in the tidal pool? Water surprisingly warm right now. We go to the one a little east from the main beach, past the ' Lido'

get an ice cream from here :thumbs:
30fc9fc14a5bff97accc41a647338b48c4126e3d

I spent one night in Margate when I was visiting a friend.
We had lovely tapas at Lillies, a pop up near the Lido.
Gorgeous cocktails at Wildes in the old town bit.

Then back up to Bar Nothing for a very messy end of the night. It’s studenty, very DFL but fun.

I’ve never had as much hassle getting a taxi as I did that night though, going in and out of town.

We were so hungover the next day we only managed a terrible film at the multiplex, an oven pizza and a very early night.

I would really like to go to Dreamland. I might look for a gig there.

Talking of sunset in Margate there's a poshish restaurant called Waverley House and if you breeze in and go upstairs and go straight out onto the veranda that's a perfect spot for a sunset drink. Just ignore the restaurant bit.
Waverley is good, but the Bouy and Lobster next door is better IMO. Same balcony set up, good but pricey food. We were lucky enough to have a sunset meal there recently.

On the same street is the Fez Bar where we ended up having a fairly wild drunken night recently.

Micropub on the harbour arm, great for real ales and cider.

We stayed at the Walpole Bay Hotel. Worth popping in for some art deco splendour and a drink or cream tea on the terrace.

Plenty of decent quiet beaches east of the main beach, especially when the tide is out.

Last edited:
Waverley is good, but the Bouy and Lobster next door is better IMO. Same set up same balcony set up, good but pricey food. We were lucky enough to have a sunset meal there recently.

On the same street is the Fez Bar where we ended up having a fairly wild drunken night recently.

Micropub on the harbour arm, great for real ales and cider.

We stayed at the Walpole Bay Hotel. Worth popping in for some art deco splendour and a drink or cream tea on the terrace.

Plenty of decent quiet beaches east of the main beach, especially when the tide is out.
Tbh I couldn't remember the name of the place with the veranda, it might've even been that one you mentioned, had to check on the map

My list so far:
Gawp at the sea views
Play in the sand
Go in the sea
Shell grotto
Caves

Broadly agree with what most others have mentioned so I'll try and split this list into central Margate and Cliftonville (the 8th coolest neighbourhood in the world, according to Time Out) and list places that have not been mentioned yet or have been and are definitely worth checking out.

Margate:

Turner gallery, always something interesting on.

Lulu's gelato in Old Kent Market, opposite Turner for ice cream (OKM worth a visit in itself, an old cinema converted into mini shops/bars/restaurants.

Highly recommend Sargasso, booking advised, pricey, otherwise:

Lilies up on Fort Hill for excellent modern tapas, prob best value restaurant in Margate at the moment and completely unpretentious. No longer a pop-up, properly established.

Crab Museum (Old Town) for crab facts and crab stuff.

Dreamland for the scenic railway rollercoaster and potential gigs.

Free sauna on the Main Sands, close to the Sundeck / Station end

Sundeck for beachfront drinks/DJS/dancing/sunset
WhereElse / Elsewhere in The Centre for live music and DJ's
Justine's - new late night indie venue from Libertines Carl Barat

Little Swift or Xylo for sunset drinks looking over the harbour/main sands, or grab a takeaway and sit on the sea steps and soak it all up.
The Two Halves is here also if well-kept ales and non-London priced drinks are your thing.

Cliftonville:

The Shell Grotto is 100% worth a visit

Skinny Dip on Northdown Road for great coffee/breakfast/brunch stuff, likewise The Good Egg

Walpole Bay tidal pool for swimming. There's also the free sauna sponsored by Haekels which is free for anyone to use.

Bar Nothing for late night dancing/dive bar/anything goes vibe. Been compared to Mos Eisley cantina in the best possible way.

Faith In Strangers can be good depending on who's playing.

Margate Leisure Centre for indoor axe throwing, petanque, pizzas and drinks (DJ's sometimes)

The Wastelands - Libertines owned bar/venue under their hotel The Albion Rooms. Bands / DJ's

Margate Arts Club - late night dancing/dj's/cabaret/queer stuff (check listings) great sound system and always a lovely crowd. 'Queer-run, LGBTQIA+ femme-focused' (their words) but all (nice) people welcome (mine).

CAMP - Queer space/bar/venue with variety of stuff going on depending on the night.

The Tap Room; Picnic - 2 friendly neighbourhood bars up in Cliftonville. Tap often has DJ's on Fri & Sun.

Sete on Northdown road for Parisian wine bar vibes. Lovely bar and really good wine but at a price.

Streets on Northdown rd for Indian street food and good wines/beers.

Scotts Antiques - big warehouse full of everything, all for sale.

The Viking Coastal Trail is a lovely walk - go west towards Reculver roman fort or East towards Broadstairs & Ramsgate. Either way it's lovely.

Seeing as you have a car you could drive to Whitstable and take a boat tour of the Maunsell Forts and wind farms in the Estuary

Back
Top Bottom