Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Main line to the west out for weeks as tracks washed away at Dawlish

PS- I know Mr Gallop of Network Rail , apart from being Welsh , he is an excellent engineer and very passionate on doing a good job. Top man in all respects , and very much on the ball IMHO.

Ah, That wasn't meant to be picking on a fellow Aber'ist davesgcr !
and maybe I should have included valley lines [nor excluded some overseas] in various places around the UK.
The reason the Cumbrian coast gets dealt with quickly may well be to do with that large plant just near Drigg ... certainly quite a few bits from just south of Workington down to Barrow are subject to erosion events. As well as sinkholes, some good ones historically - the Furness Railway had a spectacular one in 1892 at Lindal that swallowed an engine.

Ah, That wasn't meant to be picking on a fellow Aber'ist davesgcr !
and maybe I should have included valley lines [nor excluded some overseas] in various places around the UK.
The reason the Cumbrian coast gets dealt with quickly may well be to do with that large plant just near Drigg ... certainly quite a few bits from just south of Workington down to Barrow are subject to erosion events. As well as sinkholes, some good ones historically - the Furness Railway had a spectacular one in 1892 at Lindal that swallowed an engine.

Of course , we need to organise a day out to recover that long buried engine , - an 0-6-0 Tender one I think :D

Of course , we need to organise a day out to recover that long buried engine , - an 0-6-0 Tender one I think :D

Not an expert on train wheel's termonology, but doesn't 0-6-0 means 6 driving wheels and no front / rear freewheeling wheels? Suerly a tender has no driving wheels?

Not an expert on train wheel's termonology, but doesn't 0-6-0 means 6 driving wheels and no front / rear freewheeling wheels? Suerly a tender has no driving wheels?

0-6-0 is no front pony truck, 3 connected driving axles (6 wheels) and no rear pony truck. If a T is added, it means Tank engine, so actually no tender. There are designations applied as to the design and where the tank is located.

Normally, the tender is discounted, however there are exceptions as in certain designs there is a powered unit or bogie under the tender.

For example the layout of the NGG16 Garretts used on the Welsh Highland Railway is "2-6-2+2-6-2"

[will add image as edit or look up this wiki page - it has some good side views ; South African Class NG G16 2-6-2+2-6-2 - Wikipedia ]

Reactions: OzT
They're going to build a wall!

6e22c772e0fb4d37b64c8e22c9d25ef7_w268.png

A 360 metre-long, 7.5 metre-high sea wall will be built just west of Dawlish station to strengthen the Great Western Main Line in Devon against extreme weather - if the Government commits the £35 million that it is expected to cost.

Network Rail submitted a reserved matters planning application for the extended sea wall to Teignbridge District Council on February 4 - five years to the day since storms washed away an 80-metre section of the main line, cutting off most of Devon and all of Cornwall from the National Rail network and costing an estimated £1 billion in economic damage to the South West.

Five years on, Network Rail reveals first plan for Dawlish resilience

There's a bunch of trainspotters on there now - actually waiting for trains - next one expected 15.43.

High tide 19.02 - fairly rough seas already.

Ah yes. Good old David Cameron made all those promises 5 years ago didn't he. Then he fucked the country up and left.

We should send him over it at high tide.

Work is starting. Be nice if they opened the old alternative route too :)

Work is beginning on a £30m scheme to protect a coastal railway line that washed into the sea five years ago.

A new 25ft (7.5m) high sea wall is being built at Dawlish, Devon after the line collapsed during storms on 4 February 2014.

The track which links Devon and Cornwall with the rest of the country was left dangling in the air after waves gouged out holes in the defences.

Network Rail aims to "secure the future of the line for the next 100 years".

Sea wall to secure line 'for 100 years'

Latest plans released:

New promenade view towards accessible footbridge

Wall and promenade at Dawlish station

New link bridge and Dawlish Water stilling basin

That looks an interesting solution.

Although, I would have been inclined to reduce the squareness of that projecting area and the vertical walls. A corner like that is likely to be vulnerable to storm damage. And I hope that it isn't just a mass of concrete.

Back
Top Bottom