Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Main line to the west out for weeks as tracks washed away at Dawlish

editor

hiraethified
rail.jpg

Looks like no one's going to be able to enjoy the spectacular view form the trains it hurtles to Plymouth for some time now. :(

article_img.jpg

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-02-05/30-people-evacuated-as-high-seas-hit-dawlish/

R4 described the tracks as 'blowing in the breeze' but until now I'd not seen any pictures

Wow. I'm really glad I don't live in Devon any more. But I am supposed to be going to Newton Abbot for a wedding on Saturday! :eek:

There was an interview on the radio earlier with someone who lives in one of those houses. They've been told the whole terrace is unsafe and will have to be demolished :(

There was an interview on the radio earlier with someone who lives in one of those houses. They've been told the whole terrace is unsafe and will have to be demolished :(
I was thinking that those houses must already be seriously undermined.

Were'nt there proposals to reroute the coastal Dawlish section of track inland i seem to remember ??:confused:

That line through Dawlish is a lovely journey, and a real shame it's so badly damaged. Economically it's serious for the south-west too, since Cornwall and west Devon are cut off until it's fixed. There might be one good thing come out of it, though, in that it's got people talking seriously about trying to reopen the inland route, which in the long run makes a lot of sense.

I think they might be being slightly optimistic there. This landslip in Yorkshire took about six months to repair:

image_update_ce3fd6995602fe0c_1360771803_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

It did, and it was a real nuisance since it severed the Doncaster-Goole-Hull line. It was probably an easier engineering job than restoring Dawlish too...

Were'nt there proposals to reroute the coastal Dawlish section of track inland i seem to remember ??:confused:
Nothing serious or costed. The pre-Beeching alternate inland route via Moretonhampstead is half in operation for freight and half built on for a bypass. Building an entirely new route would cost far more financial and political capital than any recent government has to spend.

I think they might be being slightly optimistic there. This landslip in Yorkshire took about six months to repair:

Might be easier though - it's "just" the stone track bed that they'll need to rebuild - I guess that there's likely to be less problems with deeper subsidence than the Yorkshire one.

Well, maybe the Tories are looking for an acceptable excuse to get out of HS2. :D

Do not link HS2 with the maintenance of the existing railway please let's say £40M to repair and protect this bit of line - (wearing his railway cap) - HMG can cover that , no issue. May even spur some economic things - (like local work and quarried stone) - and before people go off on a "lets rebuild the long closed diversion routes via the Teign Valley or Okehampton" - the cost would be £100m+'s. It is off season - there is no perishable freight - buses can manage for a while - the engineers can get stuck in. (I suspect they will need a breakwater of sorts - hard rock brought in by sea no doubt ..) - not good to lose a rail line - but it can be reinstated. Railway staff are expert at dealing with these things.

BR fixed the ECML north of Newcastle in 1980 in about 6 weeks - following a landslide / tunnel collapse - so it can be done. Lot of hard work though.

Nothing serious or costed. The pre-Beeching alternate inland route via Moretonhampstead is half in operation for freight and half built on for a bypass. Building an entirely new route would cost far more financial and political capital than any recent government has to spend.

Spot on - best repair the existing line and make it as tough as can be done :thumbs: (the "diversion" was a bit bucolic and lacking in capacity to say the least)

I hope they get it sorted quickly for the sake of those living in the SW. A reminder, if one were needed, of the sheer power of the sea. It always amazes me that the lines is that close to the sea though.

I used to love going on a section of the ECML between Newcastle and Edinburgh (somewhere around Berwick I think) where the line ran quite close to the cliff edge over the North Sea - an impressive view on a lovely day, if a bit unnerving!

Earlier on I was wishing I was in Newquay. Now I'm glad I'm not!

This weather is taking the piss now.

There have been some other coastal rail routes the weather has taken out - I'm thinking of the area around Llanbedr / Barmouth and on the Cumbrian Coast.
It is going to be rough again at the weekend, which will - almost certainly - mean more damage. Proper repairs will take time and resources.

It all depends on the underlying ground, of course. More likely to be solid further down in Devon and Cornwall.

Then there's also the priority of things to consider. There's a lot of rail links in Yorkshire, plus it's not high on Network Rail's list of big priorities. Think about the landslip they've got on the Dorking-Horsham route. It'll probably be months to fix because it goes through the middle of nowhere. If it was the Brighton Mainline, it would've been up and running 4 days after it happened.

The Exeter -Waterloo line now shut at Crewkerne (landslip) and the routes via bristol or Castle Cary flooded the Exeter St Davids live departure board is looking v sad.
I live in Exeter and in next 10 days I need to visit Birmingham and London for work. :(

Network Rail has chosen a route from Okehampton to Plymouth via Tavistock as an additional alternative railway route to avoid Dawlish.

Crucially, "There is no timescale for the plan, which Network Rail concluded in outline proposals last year would cost hundreds of millions of pounds," so it's all a bit pie in the sky.

What a wierd news story.

"A non-identifiable entity at Network Rail reveals that they are a thinking about a plan which was already announced last year and is non-specific and without any timescale or budget."

Quite a scoop for the BBC there.

What a wierd news story.

"A non-identifiable entity at Network Rail reveals that they are a thinking about a plan which was already announced last year and is non-specific and without any timescale or budget."

Quite a scoop for the BBC there.

not quite, the existing plan was only to reopen the section of the branch line from Bere Alston to Tavi. which was to be single track, like the rest of that branch line. I've been hearing people say they want that route reopened since I moved here; it certainly appears to be the most popular option. I'd think the waryness mentioned in that story is more along the lines of 'we'll believe it when we see it being built' because we could have run the region on the hot air generated from discussion of the issue in the run up to every election

oh, and reopening the tavi line was a bribe to get people to accept a huge new housing development there. well, huge for a place the size of tavi

oh, and the plymouth library turned this up during the week.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Doe...-washed-away/story-20589201-detail/story.html

Back
Top Bottom