Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help MacBook Pro Crashing and I don't know why.

ATOMIC SUPLEX

No updates, nothing new installed.
My 2015 MacBook Pro has taken to blinking off. First the mouse freezes then seconds later it's all gone black and restarts.
It has definitely done it in Logic Pro X and it sounds like it's struggling with just before it pops, but the projects are not outrageous by any stretch of the imagination and have been working happily for a couple of years without problems (or updates).
I don't think it's Logic Pro X though because it's also popped off while doing remote access work that us usually not very taxing at all to my powerbook. I thought that might have been because I had a that AI art webpage open too and something overloaded? Again, I'm never doing anything all that taxing, and nothing has changed. I can't find anything out on line. Is there a perhaps some kind of bulging cache I need to clear?

I think it might be the USB lead between the focusrite scarlet and the computer causing the trouble. This might be predominantly why I thought it was a logic problem, as I don't usually have it plugged in for regular non Logic Pro work, but may well have done from time to time when remote editing.
Is that a likely crashable offence on a Mac?
If I waggle the lead (the usb, not the audio leads) I can hear the speakers getting a bit flustered. Annoyingly the lead seems pretty good.

I’ve just had to pay a small fortune for a battery service for my 2018 model. It was giving a warning on the battery diagnostics.

No updates, nothing new installed.
My 2015 MacBook Pro has taken to blinking off. First the mouse freezes then seconds later it's all gone black and restarts.
It has definitely done it in Logic Pro X and it sounds like it's struggling with just before it pops, but the projects are not outrageous by any stretch of the imagination and have been working happily for a couple of years without problems (or updates).
I don't think it's Logic Pro X though because it's also popped off while doing remote access work that us usually not very taxing at all to my powerbook. I thought that might have been because I had a that AI art webpage open too and something overloaded? Again, I'm never doing anything all that taxing, and nothing has changed. I can't find anything out on line. Is there a perhaps some kind of bulging cache I need to clear?

Mine started to do that, turned out it was a short in the USB C power cable. So if your USB lead is shorting out internally that may be frightening the mac into shut down.

Mine started to do that, turned out it was a short in the USB C power cable. So if your USB lead is shorting out internally that may be frightening the mac into shut down.
Been playing with the lead and the focusrite audio interface seemed stable. Even so, I disconnected for now and carried on in logic with the in-built thunderbolt monitor speakers. It's been fine since my last post about an hour ago, but it's just done it again.
No warning, no explanation. I was using logic again though.
Not ideal.

My previous MacBook did similar and I think it was the logic board on the fritz. AFAIR.

There’s a guy on Hackney road that fixes Macs. Macsmiths.

What is AFAIR?

I'm nowhere near Hackney Road unfortunately and I'm going to need this thing for work. Yikes.

Aw shit. . . . and again. Bluetooth has gone. . . and now when I load up logic it says "Error Initialising core midi" "Warning midi services not available"
Something inside has gone tits up hasn't it.

And poof it went again.
Bluetooth is back.
Basically the first thing I noticed before crashes the first time around was that the mouse stopped working.
I just don't flipping know, and I don't know what to do. I wish it had just been the focus rite interface.

It's quite an old laptop now,2015, but it's in good nick, never leaves the house and rarely gets used without a power supply.

I think it might be the USB lead between the focusrite scarlet and the computer causing the trouble. This might be predominantly why I thought it was a logic problem, as I don't usually have it plugged in for regular non Logic Pro work, but may well have done from time to time when remote editing.
Is that a likely crashable offence on a Mac?
If I waggle the lead (the usb, not the audio leads) I can hear the speakers getting a bit flustered. Annoyingly the lead seems pretty good.
I've had similar issues with a Mac and a faulty USB in Serato.

How do I approach this? Sounds like a bit of work.

This is the simplest guide I can find for macbooks of that era. You'll need an external hard drive to do a time machine backup. Then when everything is factory reset, restore your data like it's a brand new machine from the time machine HD.

I guess so. Doesn't fix your problem though, is everything external unplugged?
I just unplugged everything except an external drive and ran Logic and i still crashed. Last three times I tried to just do a bounce down of a track (something I accomplished with two other songs today) but it crashed every time, even when it was just the laptop connected. Could it be the external drive?
I have remembered that I did install a safari and Catalina update on Thursday, but that was because I had already had some unexpected shutdowns and was hoping it would fix it.
I can't update logic because the version is now beyond the Catalina OS and if I switch to Monterey I lose my plug ins. . . . but is that even the problem? As I said, it has happened without logic being engaged (which is why I thought it was the dodgy audio interface).

This is the simplest guide I can find for macbooks of that era. You'll need an external hard drive to do a time machine backup. Then when everything is factory reset, restore your data like it's a brand new machine from the time machine HD.

Thanks, are there any dangers?
If I do a back up of all my stuff won't I just be putting any errors straight back on again?

I just unplugged everything except an external drive and ran Logic and i still crashed. Last three times I tried to just do a bounce down of a track (something I accomplished with two other songs today) but it crashed every time, even when it was just the laptop connected. Could it be the external drive?
I have remembered that I did install a safari and Catalina update on Thursday, but that was because I had already had some unexpected shutdowns and was hoping it would fix it.
I can't update logic because the version is now beyond the Catalina OS and if I switch to Monterey I lose my plug ins. . . . but is that even the problem? As I said, it has happened without logic being engaged (which is why I thought it was the dodgy audio interface).

I honestly don’t know mate. I’m now beyond my knowledge of what could be going wrong. Hope you get it sorted.

Had a look in the Library/logs/diagnostic reports and found something about an error 210 osx issue.
A look on line says getting rid of some preferences might solve it, or it might be a bit of corrupted software that needs to be reinstalled.

I don't know how much of a problem it would be to re-install logic pro x. Do i have to download the whole thing again? I can't remember what I did last time

Reading more into it. It does look like it's the mac security update that's fucked it.
Program probably crashed due to a regular overload and the focusrite scarlet issue, but is now fucked properly because of the security update.
Is there anyway to undo the security update? Mac are utter cunts for this. It's not like logic isn't their own bloody program.

Used the Mac chat. I forgot how good they are on that. Helped me out before in no time. Anyway, without admitting blame they seemed to immediately concede that it was the update that did it. They want me to upgrade to their new OS, monetery, but I am worried it will cause even more issues. My third party plugins, other software I have installed for remote work. I have a scheduled call back for 9.30 am. For now at least, the rest of the Mac appears to be operating as normal.

I just moved from Catalina to Monterey without incident on my ‘17 model…the space was a problem but I asked the guy to reformat the disk when he fixed the battery which clears out a lot of “other” on the disk.

I just moved from Catalina to Monterey without incident on my ‘17 model…the space was a problem but I asked the guy to reformat the disk when he fixed the battery which clears out a lot of “other” on the disk.
Do you use logic pro X? That's my only issue really.

Back
Top Bottom