Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Louis Theroux - annoying wannabe edgelord or serious journo

campanula

diminished responsibilty
Just his droning monotone voice sets my teeth on edge but Sweetheart will, no doubt, be watching Theroux do his usual faux naive performance in Forbidden America (I think?). I am convinced he is drawn to the dark side but would never have the guts to actually step into that world.

My vote would be annoying wannabe edgelord.

Exhibit A:
His documentary about Savile. Failed to expose a lifelong sexual abuser, despite Theroux admitting now that he had heard rumours of abuse.

His programmes are not serious investigative journalism. They're a branch of light entertainment.

Just his droning monotone voice sets my teeth on edge but Sweetheart will, no doubt, be watching Theroux do his usual faux naive performance in Forbidden America (I think?). I am convinced he is drawn to the dark side but would never have the guts to actually step into that world.

he not his normal self in the first of forbidden america

looks fucking pissed off for most of it

but get the sentament

he not his normal self in the first of forbidden america

looks fucking pissed off for most of it

but get the sentament

Yes I agree. He has more of an edge to him in that. More combative than his previous stuff.

Reactions: Ax^
Overall, I quite like his documentaries. I can understand why some think the 'faux naive' approach can be grating, lightweight and disingenuous. It can become tiresome, yes, in parts. But overall, his programs can be pretty interesting and informative, depending on the subject matter he is covering.

My vote would be annoying wannabe edgelord.

Exhibit A:
His documentary about Savile. Failed to expose a lifelong sexual abuser, despite Theroux admitting now that he had heard rumours of abuse.

His programmes are not serious investigative journalism. They're a branch of light entertainment.
Surely if 'failing to expose Savile' is the standard then every journalist failed? Or at least every journalist who ever wrote anything significant about Savile and therefore had a chance to get at the truth.

I think Theroux is a mixture of the two, but then I think most journalists are a mixture of serious journo and 'ignorant, over-privileged dullard with no curiousity about the world'. So in the big scheme of things I don't judge Theroux too harshly.

Surely if 'failing to expose Savile' is the standard then every journalist failed? Or at least every journalist who ever wrote anything significant about Savile and therefore had a chance to get at the truth.

I think Theroux is a mixture of the two, but then I think most journalists are a mixture of serious journo and 'ignorant, over-privileged dullard with no curiousity about the world'. So in the big scheme of things I don't judge Theroux too harshly.
He had heard the rumours but didn't investigate them. That's more or less the job description of an investigative journalist - to investigate the truth of rumours where they are only rumours so there isn't hard evidence to get the police involved. And he didn't do it. He was contented with making a documentary that showed Savile to be a weirdo who we could all laugh/cringe at while thanking the lord we're not like them.

Therefore, he isn't a serious journalist.

He had heard the rumours but didn't investigate them. That's more or less the job description of an investigative journalist - to investigate the truth of rumours where they are only rumours so there isn't hard evidence to get the police involved. And he didn't do it. He was contented with making a documentary that showed Savile to be a weirdo who we could all laugh/cringe at while thanking the lord we're not like them.

Therefore, he isn't a serious journalist.
Have you seen the film he made about his (& everyone else’s) failure to see the truth about JS? It’s a long time ago I watched it but thought it was good.

Compare and contrast with Brian Fogel's documentary Icarus. Started off making a film about his own little experiment with drugs to see how he could improve his performance. Ended up exposing Russia's state-run doping programme. You go where the investigative trail takes you. You don't start already at your destination, which is what Theroux generally does.

Tbf his faux naive style will have helped him make some of his programmes without being lynched. His style together with his English accent would have made some of his American interviewees less inclined to think that they were being held up to ridicule

Really like some of his docs on the less darker topics - e.g. brilliant one on Keith Harris and Orville, also the one on the Hamiltons.

Aww I like him. I watched the episode on far right in America and he's changed as he's matured. He's no longer capable of the faux naivety and he actually says what he thinks now.
This is probably how I feel too. It might've been the Westboro Baptist Church stuff which changed him, as that was the first time I can remember him being unable to create any kind of resonance between us and the topic.

I saw his doccumentary film about Scientology which I thought was good.
Never seen anything he's done on TV.
I'm a big fan of his father Paul's travel books, I like the way he writes.

Saw that latest one on the US nazi trolls and think that he really ought to think again about his whole schtick...when thick white supremacists can rumble what he's up to, the game looks over, tbh.

I don't watch TV (makes me swear and fidget) but I can usually sit in the (warm) living room while it's on (I especially like sport as it is supremely ignorable) but there are some programmes or presenters which drive me out into the freezy kitchen...Louis T being one of the most irritating.

He's light entertainment. Nobody thinks he's challenging Dispatches, World in Action or Panorama at their respective peaks do they? Least of all him I'd imagine. There's nothing inherently wrong with what he does. He's not my thing but I get why people are entertained (not particularly informed) by his programmes. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I used to vaguely like his work but even then it still made me feel condescended to. I can see he aped some of style from Claude Lanzmann but Louis work by comparison reeks of spoilt child smugness.

think after the scientologist stuff he was less worried and more irritated by a butch of trolls who though calling someone gay as a conversation finisher

not to defend him, but he has been with real white supremacist groups, pure nazis and the wesbros

now aside from one fella who is a dangerous fuckwit, he is dealing with failed racist youtubers who won#t admit their true intentions
and gettting filmed whilst doing it

Saw that latest one on the US nazi trolls and think that he really ought to think again about his whole schtick...when thick white supremacists can rumble what he's up to, the game looks over, tbh.
They aren't all thick. One is an arch-troll, another looks like a potentially serious coming political force. A third on the programme is an utter imbecile, but the other two are switched on and have mad social media skills to boot. They appeal to the right, incels, gamers, the lot. Probably the most cynical pair he's been round since the emperor of noncery himself.

Back
Top Bottom