Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lost Pubs of London: The Old Rose, The Highway, Wapping E1

editor

hiraethified
Anyone ever get to visit this boozer?

wapping-old-rose-pub-05.jpg

Lost Pubs of London: The Old Rose, The Highway, Wapping E1 – ‘vinegar beer, green interior and odd locals’

Used to drink in here lunchtimes whenever i was working in the area, which was quite often in the late 90's as almost every building in wapping was being turned into luxury flats. Not a bad pub as i remember, you could always get a cold lager and a plate of chips for dinner. Normally had a few old boys in there watching the racing.Remember one summer we were talking to the landlady about how hot it was getting and she told us her teenage sons had spent the summer swimming every day in the Royal Albert Docks.The previous day one of them had dived in and broke his collar bone/ shoulder on a submerged car that had been dumped there.

I am interested in the article about the Old Rose. It states that the Ratcliffe Highway murders took place there, but the address for the old Rose is 128, while the murders took place at 29 Ratcliffe Highway. Was the pub called the old Rose in 1811 when the murder took place or was it the Marr business in 1811 and converted to a pub later. The discrepancy in the street number could have changed over the years. Also, there was a block of flats on the same side of the road as the pub going toward the Tower that is not there now. I used to deliver papers to that bldg. and I cannot remember the name. It was opposite or just past Betts Street. My g.g. grandparents lived at #29 1n 1851 and he was listed as a "Beer Retailer", so I am interested in the exact location. Thanks I hope someone has some information.

Used to spend (extended) lunch breaks in The Old Rose with colleagues from the Irish desk of News of the World (the NoW was known as 'The News and Screws' - the Irish edition, under Irish editor Alex Marunchak, took out a lot of the Scews and put in more News, including a double-page spread on a historic Irish personage which I often had the pleasure of sub-editing). Anyway, it was G&Ts all round - my usual drink, Guinness, wasn't up to Dublin (or even west London) standards! The food was always good although one of our company, the grizzled Irish chief-sub John Marley, insisted that pubs were for drinking; restaurants were for eating! Recall the stories of old Fleet Street and the banter which kept us talking, and drinking, way beyond our allotted 'lunch-hour'. Mind you, the headlines written in the afternoon were always better than the morning ones, many of which were changed! The late evenings, especially after the paper went to press on Saturday night, were equally entertaining. So, whose round is it anyway?

Back
Top Bottom