Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London railway station to be renamed Tottenham Hotspur

editor

hiraethified
Fucking ridiculous

The railway station near Tottenham Hotspur’s new stadium is to be renamed after the club lobbied the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, and his transport office, who had insisted that the club should pay more than £14.7m for the privilege.

The north London Premier League club first approached Transport for London (TfL) more than two years ago wanting to change the name of White Hart Lane station to Tottenham Hotspur.

A memo of understanding between the club and TfL, controlled by Khan, is now being drafted but Spurs won’t have to meet the multimillion pound asking price which it has vigorously contested.

The club, one of Britain’s wealthiest, will regard the decision as a win as it seeks to cash in on a new 62,000-capacity stadium which has been hit by delays and escalating costs. However, the move is likely to spark concern about the loss of revenue and the precedent it sets for the corporatisation of London’s heritage transport network.
London railway station to be renamed Tottenham Hotspur

Did Spurs pay for it; I think not. I remember Spurs where trying to wriggle out of some of the cost of policing matches and were demanding the entire area
be "cleaned up" for them.
I see they are opening with a huge match that will at least ensure there is some atmosphere in the place :D

Back
Top Bottom