Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Queer Social Centre opens in squatted Joy store, Coldharbour Lane, Brixton

I've just had a text saying that it looks like the police may have got the squatters out already. Anyone know any more?

Fair play to Brag...the weeks sounds good! The films and free (mostly vegan) food would be interesting...i hope they get what they want from their 'wish list'

Its their comment about the need for their own communities to be more 'inclusive' that surprised me....should be a good debate, quite a personal one too, for those partaking, i imagine....
There really isn't such a thing as a 'gay community' although there may be communities of gay people sharing similar interests.

And Onket is right - very few people spend more than a relatively small amount of time fucking, and the statement by this group seems to suggest that gay people do nothing but fuck.

There really isn't such a thing as a 'gay community' although there may be communities of gay people sharing similar interests.

And Onket is right - very few people spend more than a relatively small amount of time fucking, and the statement by this group seems to suggest that gay people do nothing but fuck.

I didn't read it that way at all. It to be about how queer communities can be more inclusive to asexual people and variations on that. They are often much neglect groups because in a lot of cases people are still trying to understand what it all means. Including highlighting the distinction between queer and gay. Which I guess has been shown by the comments here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming to be an expert.

I wasnt thinking that - it was the bit about those who choose NOT to, for whatever reason - it is obviously an issue that some folks among communities of gay people object to or they wouldnt have brought it up....

This discussion would be intriguing...

'We will also be exploring ways in which our queer communities can be more inclusive of those who can’t fuck, won’t fuck, don’t fuck, or who chose to only fuck some of the time.'
And the results might be appalling. Talk about reductionism.

This discussion would be intriguing...

'We will also be exploring ways in which our queer communities can be more inclusive of those who can’t fuck, won’t fuck, don’t fuck, or who chose to only fuck some of the time.'
Actually this seems a bit less puritanical than one propounded doctrine in my Manchester GLF days c. 1975. There we were told by several influential intellectuals that sex, particularly of the penetrative variety was a form of "objectification" and that the only way to go was "polymorphous perversity" (which I presume is a spiritually pure form of groping).

I too would be interested in this debate - not least because I think that the commercial gay scene, saturated as it is with alcohol, sex-drugs etc is much less congenial as one gets older.

I think Peter Tatchell has alluded to this problem - and I also should add there is a local group - South London Gays (SLG) which caters to social needs of older gays.

I didn't read it that way at all. It to be about how queer communities can be more inclusive to asexual people and variations on that. They are often much neglect groups because in a lot of cases people are still trying to understand what it all means. Including highlighting the distinction between queer and gay. Which I guess has been shown by the comments here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming to be an expert.
Yeh the assumption means only gay comes up a lot. Pride was first started by Stonewall was it not (?) And is meant to be all encompassing not just about homosexuality. Even the LGBT label doesn't fit for a lot of 'queer' peoples.

They squatted The Duchy Pub last year.

Just walked past and there's less OB but still a presence. One policewoman and a PCSO taking photos of the signs in the window. Should be a civil matter at this stage surely given it's not illegal to squat business premises yet?!

Just walked past and there's less OB but still a presence. One policewoman and a PCSO taking photos of the signs in the window. Should be a civil matter at this stage surely given it's not illegal to squat business premises yet?!
I bet Chucka 'Obama' Umunna must be really upset by their presence.

Update :The Bragsters have been working round the clock to get the space ready for tonight’s first event @7pm: Squatters Legal and Practical Workshop with dinner & queer squatting documentaries from 9pm.

Tonight’s programme is pretty relevant as the new space has been under constant police surveillance and our comrades have been subject to intimidation and this morning we had one of our crew arrested. The show of solidarity from fellow squatters, queer & trans peeps, local activists and the community of Brixton has been incredible.

We still need ongoing support as our electricity and water have been cut off and the cops are trying their best to make everything much harder since they can’t find any legit legal reason to shut us down. We are grateful for spare hands coming round to help clean, build and adapt the space to wheelchair users’ needs.
http://houseofbrag.wordpress.com/2014/07/02/quick-important-update/

I would disagree about there not being a community, yes there are lots of special/general interest groups/ organisations, but like any community based on locality, race or language, there isn't homogeneity.

I think its the one good thing Thatcher ever did (bloody hell did I say that?) was to unite us all against political oppression and against clause 28.
We have some things in common - mostly that we were fighting together for freedom just to live and love. Maybe the fight and the scene has changed since then - but it has left us with an infrastructure of helplines, media, charities, groups, etc, etc, beyond the scene of bars, clubs and businesses.

Of course living in London it's easy to see more of a visible gay/lesbian/trans/etc presence. Around Brixton there are a lot of us.

Not sure what they are on about fucking - but would be really interested to hear.

I think Peter Tatchell has alluded to this problem - and I also should add there is a local group - South London Gays (SLG) which caters to social needs of older gays.

Do the Goldies still meet? There was a group of very interesting and engaging 'Gay Oldies' that met at the Vida Walsh centre a few years ago - I went down with a load of our archive material and one of the founder members of Gay Sweatshop (then based at Ovalhouse) for a discussion on the history of gay theatre. Fantastic discussion, I remember.

Do the Goldies still meet? There was a group of very interesting and engaging 'Gay Oldies' that met at the Vida Walsh centre a few years ago - I went down with a load of our archive material and one of the founder members of Gay Sweatshop (then based at Ovalhouse) for a discussion on the history of gay theatre. Fantastic discussion, I remember.
Don't know. I joined SLG in 1994 - partly because it was a successor group to Streatham CHE and WAGS, both of which I had been involved with.
There was a guy called Dirg who worked for Age Concern and at one time worked with a gay group at a residential home in Lingham Street which I believe was called the Pimpernel Group. I think that might be the group you are referring to as now being at Vida Walsh. But I don't know if its still around.

Back
Top Bottom