Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London pirate radio - news and discussion

I need a digital mixer and some jingles. Plus a logo. This is great. I have been so bored.

There’s loads of people who do custom jingles for cheap, eBay is a good resource.

Also consider throwing up some shows on Mixcloud. For those of us who can’t get you on the FM!

Just lurking

That used to be an interesting place, but most the decent posters disappeared as the loons took over. :(

I am banned from there, because I dared to debunk nonsense posted by the covid-denying & anti-vaxxer main mod, Geoff Hutton, not that it's stopped me from poking him every so often, using a proxy server. :D

There's a breakaway board, not so busy, but more sane, where there's ex-pirate operators that could offer advice on setting-up, etc., here -

That used to be an interesting place, but most the decent posters disappeared as the loons took over. :(

I am banned from there, because I dared to debunk nonsense posted by the covid-denying & anti-vaxxer main mod, Geoff Hutton, not that it's stopped me from poking him every so often, using a proxy server. :D

There's a breakaway board, not so busy, but more sane, where there's ex-pirate operators that could offer advice on setting-up, etc., here -

Thanks.

The coverage from a crappy indoor Ariel that has not been trimmed and tested is surprisingly good.
A little station for bits of Brockley.

There does not seem to be anything of note there on that forum I was on. Old adverts for rusty gerda keys. Veronica kits links.

You have to be an extreme anorak to actually buy this, 'London Pirate Radio Adverts 1984-93 double album', but it was featured on Radio 4's 'Today' show yesterday, available to play again for 28 days, starts just after 2 hours 45.

Luke Owen from Death is Not The End Records talks about the impact of pirate radio in London then together with some extracts from the LP.

The double album is available to stream or purchase on Bandcamp.

Ahem, that'll be me then. I bought it today. It's great and made me grin from ear to ear. It's also a goldmine of potential samples.

There does not seem to be anything of note there on that forum I was on. Old adverts for rusty gerda keys. Veronica kits links.

We maybe talking about different boards, I thought you had started this thread, as the OP is TOPCAT, who only appeared a couple of days ago:

Both that one, and the one I linked to earlier, are crappy free message boards hosted by Boardhosts, so threads only stay up for a few weeks, so useless for finding any historic tips, but if you ask a question about how to get a decent range from that transmitter, I am sure you'll get tips.

We maybe talking about different boards, I thought you had started this thread, as the OP is TOPCAT, who only appeared a couple of days ago:

Both that one, and the one I linked to earlier, are crappy free message boards hosted by Boardhosts, so threads only stay up for a few weeks, so useless for finding any historic tips, but if you ask a question about how to get a decent range from that transmitter, I am sure you'll get tips.
It’s an ursurper. A bogus top cat.

I think Codesouth may just be my new favorite radio station.

And I only discovered by accident while playing around with the map on Radio Garden app (which bizarrely listed the feed as 'Angel Radio' broadcasting from Newport, Wales, with a website linking to an Angel radio in the Isle of Wight?!) To confuse matters more the DJ (Rich Mathias) sounded very Welsh so I was convinced this was indeed a Newport based underground station with an incorrect website link. Finally googled the mobile number and got to the bottom of it. Live DJs from 7am til 2am and some very good music.

And I only discovered by accident while playing around with the map on Radio Garden app (which bizarrely listed the feed as 'Angel Radio' broadcasting from Newport, Wales, with a website linking to an Angel radio in the Isle of Wight?!) To confuse matters more the DJ (Rich Mathias) sounded very Welsh so I was convinced this was indeed a Newport based underground station with an incorrect website link. Finally googled the mobile number and got to the bottom of it. Live DJs from 7am til 2am and some very good music.
ABOUT US
Codesouth was set up to fill a hole on Brighton’s radio airwaves. At the start, we were a local group of about 15 DJs

It's Brighton based, but has been a bit weak on FM recently, breaking-up on my van's radio even in Shoreham, whereas a few weeks back the signal was banging out, it was even listenable in the van, in Worthing, almost as strong as Capital Brighton (formerly Juice FM).

They have been getting away with it for years, with occasional breaks in transmission, with them popping up again, often on a different frequency some time later, but I've never read any reports of actual raids, which I would expect the Brighton papers to cover.

It seems bang up my alley.

One thing that's begun to bother me with a lot of the pirates is not knowing if they're in fact live or just some server pumping out a bunch of pre-recorded mixes. It really matters to me knowing that there are actual live DJs behind the decks, and responding to texts and interacting with listeners.

It seems bang up my alley.

One thing that's begun to bother me with a lot of the pirates is not knowing if they're in fact live or just some server pumping out a bunch of pre-recorded mixes. It really matters to me knowing that there are actual live DJs behind the decks, and responding to texts and interacting with listeners.

IIRC former urb, sealion, did some sets for them years ago, but I seem to remember he was going legit with one of the community stations in Brighton, they have loads for a fairly small city - RadioReverb, 1BTN, Platform B, and Gaydio.

I just searched for 'Codesouth' on the Argus website, to see if there's any reports of raids, but there's only two pieces that mention the station, as if it was legal.

3... SLS
The Coalition, King’s Road Arches, Brighton, Saturday, March 15

BBC 1Xtra’s DJ Dubl is special guest for King Of Clubs’s R’n’B and hip-hop night, with Codesouth FM's DJ Outbreak in room two.

That's from March 2014, and this from July 2020.

A RENOWNED drag queen joined city DJs on their fledgling podcast.

Bianca Del Rio joined the three DJs from Brighton who have been keeping in touch during the lockdown while nightclubs were closed.

The drag queen has more than two million Instagram followers and won series six of RuPaul’s Drag Race on television. Bianca is described as the “most powerful drag queen in the world”.

She joined Brighton Music College (BIMM) and former Juice radio host and Shakedown Festival founder Steve Jones, DJ Toby Lawrence who works at nightclub Heaven in London, and Alex Ryan who DJs at Codesouth.

Back
Top Bottom