Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London good drum and bass clubs for older crowd

BigMoaner

We will all go together
Due to an ongoing mid life crisis, I started going clubbing again before lockdown. What good d n b clubs in London with a pref older crowd?. I'm forty. Enjoyed jam in Brixton. Anymore? Thanks

Due to an ongoing mid life crisis, I started going clubbing again before lockdown. What good d n b clubs in London with a pref older crowd?. I'm forty. Enjoyed jam in Brixton. Anymore? Thanks

Don’t know about d n b but I’ve been to Phonox and XOYO a few times and am 49. Middle-aged clobbers unite!

Rupture at Corsica Studios in Elephant and Castle.
Went there a few years ago (late 40's) very diverse crowd including age.

Launch DnB, 4 parties a year or so, nothing lined up for 2021 yet, but its a crowd of lifers, selection errs towards mid-skool sound, but far from only - goes till 6
Rupture errs towards amens, or did in the past at least

old flyer
EBeDs2oWsAAeCyU

Launch DnB, 4 parties a year or so, nothing lined up for 2021 yet, but its a crowd of lifers, selection errs towards mid-skool sound, but far from only - goes till 6
Rupture errs towards amens, or did in the past at least

old flyer
EBeDs2oWsAAeCyU
Oooh!
Whilst I have a house to myself in North London (likely for the next year or so) then I'd be very interested 😀.
BigMoaner let me know if you want to go for a dance sometime. Maybe even have a ' Hot off the dnb press' u75 night.....

You'll probably find that many if not most drum & bass nights automatically have a good proportion of >40s in attendance :thumbs:

I also went to the fridge in Brixton to I think a "jump up" drum and bass night. Was easily the oldest there. Was horrendous. Didn't recognise a single tune. Where as the night in Brixton jam recognised most of them, I guess a more old school set.

Back in early 00s used to love one nations, fabric, mass at Brixton, the end. Stopped in 04 or so and started again before lockdown.

I also went to the fridge in Brixton to I think a "jump up" drum and bass night. Was easily the oldest there. Was horrendous. Didn't recognise a single tune. Where as the night in Brixton jam recognised most of them, I guess a more old school set.
Any night you are considering, it's usually worth doing a bit of research on the DJs if you don't know anything about them. Youtube and soundcloud and all these things are now quite handy for that. Often a good way of clarifying whether their idea of a certain genre matches yours.

Noisy drum tunes build around the amen break
like this for example

its become a bit of a dividing line in some quarters - Ive hit my limit with amen tunes, and stay clear of new amen productions

....was thinking about this yesterday funnily enough, i think older tunes, 1994 and backwards had a slower tempo, 160BPM and slower, and thats about the limit when the amen break starts to get too noisy. It can be a bit of a headache in faster modern DnB

(dont get me wrong there are many great DnB amen tunes , just I think they need playing sparingly)

Lets see what clubs open this summer....

Printworks is in the shit Ive heard
That was the last place I went to before the first lockdown came in. "See you after the pandemic" I remember saying to someone at the end of the night, thinking that meant in two or three months.

Not quite the same thing though.
Your friends who moved out of london when they started a family are not going clubbing, this is true. Whereas those who've stayed and don't have children still go out - that division exists elsewhere in the country too. The having childcare responsibilities thing is the dividing line, not the living in london thing.

Your friends who moved out of london when they started a family are not going clubbing, this is true. Whereas those who've stayed and don't have children still go out - that division exists elsewhere in the country too. The having childcare responsibilities thing is the dividing line, not the living in london thing.
I know there is obviously a having children element and there is obviously some correlation with having kids and moving out of London. There is also a correlation between staying in London and carrying on doing things that lots of people give up altogether once they reach a certain age. I know several people with young kids who still live in London and still, now and again, go out. What my impression is, is that it's much easier just to casually pick a night that looks good and go along for a bit and no-one really bats an eyelid at there being a scattering of older people. I don't mean nights or "scenes" that are targetted at or centred around an older crowd. There are those in London too, but they are certainly not your only option if you're over 40 and want to go out without feeling like an abnormality.

It's actually one of the first things I noticed when I arrived in London as a "young" person, that many nights had a much wider spread of ages than I was used to where I was before (which was Glasgow).

Of course I may be wrong but I'm not sure how we can settle this objectively.

Not sure about that. Lots of people without kids who did loads of clubbing in their 20s and 30s don't want to do it once they're in their 40s. Some still do! Whatever floats yer boat.

Not sure about that. Lots of people without kids who did loads of clubbing in their 20s and 30s don't want to do it once they're in their 40s. Some still do! Whatever floats yer boat.
and some people who have kids go out clubbing. it's a general trend, not a strict rule.

Back
Top Bottom