Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lewes v Hamlet (Isthmian League) Saturday 9th December 2023

Pink Panther

One of the best days out in the division, a quirky ground just around the corner from the station, in an interesting town with plenty of good pubs and a brewery!

Unfortunately there's a reduced service on Southern Trains for this one, due to the ongoing industrial action. There are no direct trains from London to Lewes, you have to go into Brighton and change for the train to Lewes via Falmer, plus Brighton have a 3pm game so those trains will be packed close to kick-off. Last trains back from Brighton are around 8pm. I'd normally get the Thameslink from London Bridge and change at Haywards Heath, splitting the tickets there. Cheapest day return fare is a Thameslink only ticket from London Bridge or East Croydon to Brighton, then a separate ticket from Brighton to Lewes. (There are also Southern services from Victoria to Brighton calling at Clapham Junction and East Croydon.)

Hamlet have lost on all 6 previous league visits to Lewes dating back to 1990, although we did win an FA Cup replay in a shootout in 2000 plus a couple of pre-season matches.

One of the best days out in the division, a quirky ground just around the corner from the station, in an interesting town with plenty of good pubs and a brewery!

Unfortunately there's a reduced service on Southern Trains for this one, due to the ongoing industrial action. There are no direct trains from London to Lewes, you have to go into Brighton and change for the train to Lewes via Falmer, plus Brighton have a 3pm game so those trains will be packed close to kick-off. Last trains back from Brighton are around 8pm. I'd normally get the Thameslink from London Bridge and change at Haywards Heath, splitting the tickets there. Cheapest day return fare is a Thameslink only ticket from London Bridge or East Croydon to Brighton, then a separate ticket from Brighton to Lewes. (There are also Southern services from Victoria to Brighton calling at Clapham Junction and East Croydon.)

Hamlet have lost on all 6 previous league visits to Lewes dating back to 1990, although we did win an FA Cup replay in a shootout in 2000 plus a couple of pre-season matches.
Shame about the state of the trains for this game, what’s the brewery? I can see there are a few dotted around

Shame about the state of the trains for this game, what’s the brewery? I can see there are a few dotted around
Harvey's is the established brewery in the town with many tied houses across Sussex and a few beyond, including the Royal Oak near Borough Tube station. The John Harvey Tavern is the brewery tap near the brewery on Cliffe High Street. I'm not aware of any microbreweries in Lewes itself, but I'm sure other pubs will have beers from local microbreweries.

There’s also Beak Brewery who have a taproom on an industrial estate in the town. It’s decent and the site is surrounded by chalk cliffs. But it’s quite far away to walk and cabs are at a premium so allow plenty of time.

They have some food stall on this Sat, and from memory there’s a couple of other things on the estate.

There’s also Beak Brewery who have a taproom on an industrial estate in the town. It’s decent and the site is surrounded by chalk cliffs. But it’s quite far away to walk and cabs are at a premium so allow plenty of time.

They have some food stall on this Sat, and from memory there’s a couple of other things on the estate.

I came across that one just now doing a bit of research. I once went to the Snowdrop Inn and walked back to the ground, which was further than it looked on the map and a bit of a hike. This is in the same direction but further still, so well over a mile. I also discovered a second microbrewery, Abyss, with a taproom but again a bit off the beaten track.

With Beak, I’d say worth doing if you know and like them, but I wouldn’t necessarily say it should be on anyone’s list otherwise if time is a factor.

Weather not looking fantastic next couple of days hoping this won’t become a Tuesday night game! Although at least the trains might be better

Thought I'd retrieve my login for this as, weather permitting, Saturday will be my first Dulwich game since Dorking Wanderers (A) in pre-parenthood 2017 - I understand much has happened since then. Living in Lewes now, I go to the Dripping Pan most games, son in tow, but without ever having really become a fan of the Rooks in any meaningful way. It'll be nice to say hello to some old faces, hopefully.

Anyway, in terms of pub recs - of the new craft taps Beak is probably the pick quality-wise but there's not that much in it and Abyss is far nearer the ground (Beak is a proper mission) and has a bit of indoor seating and much more outside. It's a five-minute walk from the Gardener's Arms on Cliffe High Street, which is still pretty good in the real ale stakes but IMHO not quite what it was pre-pandemic. For my money, the best 'pub' pub is the Brewer's Arms (did we get chucked out of there in spring 2014 for being too noisy?) on the Upper High Street which usually has 4 or 5 guest ales on plus a couple of crafts and also does chips etc at what pass for reasonable prices in Lewes. Lewes Arms is great but not if you're in a group of more than 3 or 4 because of the awkward shape and general smallness; the Elephant & Castle is nowhere near its old levels but is useful if you want to watch the 12.30 k/o in the Premier League in the company of mostly dickheads. The John Harvey has a fire but is hamstrung by the fact it mostly sells Harveys, and the Snowdrop is decent if you like paying ten quid for an extremely recherche craft ale then walking seventeen miles back to the town centre. Lansdown is nearest the ground and where a load of you will inevitably end up, but it will be busy as Albion are at home on Saturday too. Oh, also near the ground is the King's Head on Southover High Street which was a gastropub back in my Hamlet (A) days and which G-Man and I definitely did get kicked out of but is now a pretty decent normal pub.

In the ground itself there are now two kiosks supplementing the main bar. Both sell a couple of soft drinks in addition to the Only With Love crafts (jury's out on them) iirc but not the full range; the one at the far/ open end is usually only open for busier games but I think they'll regard this as one. The other big development as far as the Dripping Pan is concerned is that you can now walk right round the ground as the bit between the grass bank and the open terrace has been opened up, and there is now hardstanding at the bottom of the bank. If you want food from the posher outlet, get it in the first half as the queues get fucking stupid during and after half time; the pie stall next to the bar is usually quite easy to get served at and is the best place to go for tea/ coffee.

I've bored myself daft writing this but I hope some of it is helpful. Fingers crossed the game is on and I see some of you.

Last edited:
I was planning to go to this, but the packed trains (with that rarity of a 3pm Saturday PL game at Falmer factored in) are a deterrent. I might walk it, seven miles over the hills from Brighton, if I feel athletic. Others have already provided goodly pub guides that I agree with, but for what it's worth from a semi-local:

THE CLUB/FANS
Lewes' support has been tearing itself apart a bit recently. There have been those quirky match reports coming out under the supporters club umbrella. Lots of Lewes fans took offence to the snarky Champion Hill write-up, whilst their manager has been arguing with the writer on social media re another report that was so critical of Lewes that he had to cancel training because of how upset his players were. Meanwhile, 68% of fans/members voted in favour of accepting £5.1m to sell 51% of their women's team to an American investment group, Mercury/13.

I was at the Lewes v Charlton women's game the day after that vote result was announced (start of November) and things weren't as tetchy as I expected, but quite a few fans have announced they were binning their STs/support as a result of the big sellout. Ironically, talks with Mercury/13 then collapsed a week or two back, so they managed to split the fan base without even getting that £5.1m. The latest drama has been elections to the fan run board. Seven of the 13 people who stood were elected on Wednesday and their AGM was yesterday. No idea if anything kicked off there, but drama is never far from the surface amongst Lewes fans.

THE GROUND
One big change for this season is super fancy seating in the stand that runs along the river side of the pitch. This is actual Club Wembley seating (picked up from Wembley itself) with individual seats going for £800 each on eBay, so probably the fanciest unreserved seating you'll encounter at this level. Go sit in that stand if you want your bottom to feel fancy. Everywhere else is standing (apart from the weird branded beach huts), ie a big covered banked terrace by the turnstiles, small one behind the opposite goal and small embankment path (that they would probably be building a terrace or stand on if they'd got that £5.1m) opposite posh bum stand.

Food wise, their loaded fries (from a hut at the north west corner) are aces, especially the weird vegan spicy seaweed covered thing (Pirate Fries) but queues are long, so worth joining before the HT whistle if this is your thing. The queue is along the embankment so in view of the pitch. There's also a pie and mash hut at the south west corner, which has a much shorter queue (because it's just taking pies out of a hot box, innit). The queue for drinks is long but surprisingly swift as they usually have half a dozen or so staff on. Various cask and keg things on offer. The pitch had £750k of FA money pumped into it recently (largely because of Lewes' Tier 2 women rather than the men's team) so is marginally less likely to become waterlogged for a pitch which is an actual flood plain (hence the Dripping Pan name).

THE TOWN/PUBS
There are 18 pubs in Lewes and many hardy souls (myself included) have done them all in a day - yes it's a thing, albeit you might not be able to fit in the football. The ground is of course right by the station and the nearest pub (other side of the station) is the Lansdown Arms - this is the only shit pub in Lewes, in that 'townie station pub' way. Almost all the rest are within ten minutes walk, and those that aren't - like the Snowdrop on the far east or Swan (owned by a mate of mine) on the far west are la-di-dah gastro places that need not concern the drunken soaks on U75.

Half the pubs here are owned by Harveys, so if you like their frankly horrible insipid brews you're in luck. The Sir John Harvey Tavern opposite the brewery has the widest selection (and a lovely view of the Argos loading bay) whilst the Rights Of Man by the town hall is the least timelocked. The Gardener's Arms is where local CAMRA members go to compare farts. It's small and narrow but the ales are comparatively cheap and the staff only LOOK like they're going to spit in them.

The best pub in town by far (as someone else has said on this thread) is the Brewers Arms, close to the castle and bang next door to the former newsagents where Tom Paine invented the French and American Revolutions. Pleasingly it has two very different sections. Sky Sports and pool for the underage drinkers in the back bar; real ale and a chat about sciatica for the rest of us in the front bar. As well as a good selection of beer they also do Biddenden, an 8.1% Kentish cider that tastes like watered down apple juice and will be cited in the paperwork for your upcoming divorce.

And that is all I can tell you about Lewes, other than that last night was the first late night shopping of the festive season, so they cancelled all the buses. Yes Lewes, this great tofu sandal knitting green paradise, is where the local bus company officially reroutes every bus away from the town centre "to avoid the late night shopping traffic". Heaven forbid that any elderly, poor or generally non-Land Rover owning person from the outskirts or outlying villages might fancy a bit of late night shopping themself. FFS.

I was planning to go to this, but the packed trains (with that rarity of a 3pm Saturday PL game at Falmer factored in) are a deterrent. I might walk it, seven miles over the hills from Brighton, if I feel athletic. Others have already provided goodly pub guides that I agree with, but for what it's worth from a semi-local:

THE CLUB/FANS
Lewes' support has been tearing itself apart a bit recently. There have been those quirky match reports coming out under the supporters club umbrella. Lots of Lewes fans took offence to the snarky Champion Hill write-up, whilst their manager has been arguing with the writer on social media re another report that was so critical of Lewes that he had to cancel training because of how upset his players were. Meanwhile, 68% of fans/members voted in favour of accepting £5.1m to sell 51% of their women's team to an American investment group, Mercury/13.

I was at the Lewes v Charlton women's game the day after that vote result was announced (start of November) and things weren't as tetchy as I expected, but quite a few fans have announced they were binning their STs/support as a result of the big sellout. Ironically, talks with Mercury/13 then collapsed a week or two back, so they managed to split the fan base without even getting that £5.1m. The latest drama has been elections to the fan run board. Seven of the 13 people who stood were elected on Wednesday and their AGM was yesterday. No idea if anything kicked off there, but drama is never far from the surface amongst Lewes fans.

THE GROUND
One big change for this season is super fancy seating in the stand that runs along the river side of the pitch. This is actual Club Wembley seating (picked up from Wembley itself) with individual seats going for £800 each on eBay, so probably the fanciest unreserved seating you'll encounter at this level. Go sit in that stand if you want your bottom to feel fancy. Everywhere else is standing (apart from the weird branded beach huts), ie a big covered banked terrace by the turnstiles, small one behind the opposite goal and small embankment path (that they would probably be building a terrace or stand on if they'd got that £5.1m) opposite posh bum stand.

Food wise, their loaded fries (from a hut at the north west corner) are aces, especially the weird vegan spicy seaweed covered thing (Pirate Fries) but queues are long, so worth joining before the HT whistle if this is your thing. The queue is along the embankment so in view of the pitch. There's also a pie and mash hut at the south west corner, which has a much shorter queue (because it's just taking pies out of a hot box, innit). The queue for drinks is long but surprisingly swift as they usually have half a dozen or so staff on. Various cask and keg things on offer. The pitch had £750k of FA money pumped into it recently (largely because of Lewes' Tier 2 women rather than the men's team) so is marginally less likely to become waterlogged for a pitch which is an actual flood plain (hence the Dripping Pan name).

THE TOWN/PUBS
There are 18 pubs in Lewes and many hardy souls (myself included) have done them all in a day - yes it's a thing, albeit you might not be able to fit in the football. The ground is of course right by the station and the nearest pub (other side of the station) is the Lansdown Arms - this is the only shit pub in Lewes, in that 'townie station pub' way. Almost all the rest are within ten minutes walk, and those that aren't - like the Snowdrop on the far east or Swan (owned by a mate of mine) on the far west are la-di-dah gastro places that need not concern the drunken soaks on U75.

Half the pubs here are owned by Harveys, so if you like their frankly horrible insipid brews you're in luck. The Sir John Harvey Tavern opposite the brewery has the widest selection (and a lovely view of the Argos loading bay) whilst the Rights Of Man by the town hall is the least timelocked. The Gardener's Arms is where local CAMRA members go to compare farts. It's small and narrow but the ales are comparatively cheap and the staff only LOOK like they're going to spit in them.

The best pub in town by far (as someone else has said on this thread) is the Brewers Arms, close to the castle and bang next door to the former newsagents where Tom Paine invented the French and American Revolutions. Pleasingly it has two very different sections. Sky Sports and pool for the underage drinkers in the back bar; real ale and a chat about sciatica for the rest of us in the front bar. As well as a good selection of beer they also do Biddenden, an 8.1% Kentish cider that tastes like watered down apple juice and will be cited in the paperwork for your upcoming divorce.

And that is all I can tell you about Lewes, other than that last night was the first late night shopping of the festive season, so they cancelled all the buses. Yes Lewes, this great tofu sandal knitting green paradise, is where the local bus company officially reroutes every bus away from the town centre "to avoid the late night shopping traffic". Heaven forbid that any elderly, poor or generally non-Land Rover owning person from the outskirts or outlying villages might fancy a bit of late night shopping themself. FFS.

Could you write all that up by hand then give out printed copies?;)

Today's team. Presumably Binnom-Williams and Jeffrey are both injured after limping off last week, so we've gone for a more defensive midfield with Ricketts in front of the back four rather than Ayuk behind the forwards.

That was an awesome afternoon. Looked for a long time that we would fall back to the familiar pattern of 'go ahead , concede' but not today. Lovely goal on the break from Wanadio to ensure the 3 points.

And what a strike from Scott for the opener. Hamlet chances were fre and far between but who cares when the points are in the bag and you climb the league.

Oh, and floyd99 the worst pub in Lewes is still head and shoulders above the best pub in almost every other away trip ...

That was an awesome afternoon. Looked for a long time that we would fall back to the familiar pattern of 'go ahead , concede' but not today. Lovely goal on the break from Wanadio to ensure the 3 points.

And what a strike from Scott for the opener. Hamlet chances were fre and far between but who cares when the points are in the bag and you climb the league.

Oh, and floyd99 the worst pub in Lewes is still head and shoulders above the best pub in almost every other away trip ...
It should be said that there were few chances for either side as Lewes had no shots on target.

Well, that was an enjoyable away day!

I think Barry Nevill must be Ryley's agent. He was Tooting manager when they got relegated in the 80s. He somehow met Mishi at a football seminar or something and they had a bit of a "bromance". (Or Mishi just slagged him and he laughed it off as a joke without realising Mishi really meant it!)

It's a small thing, but I really appreciated how at the end Hakan moved the team huddle closer to the fans, and spent a part of it gesturing to the 200+ travelling contingent.

He spent a portion of Tuesday talking about how we can build a stronger relationship between the team and the fans, and it was very clearly in his mind at the end yesterday.

It's a small thing, but I really appreciated how at the end Hakan moved the team huddle closer to the fans, and spent a part of it gesturing to the 200+ travelling contingent.

He spent a portion of Tuesday talking about how we can build a stronger relationship between the team and the fans, and it was very clearly in his mind at the end yesterday.
completely agree, also heard him talking about this at the fan forum and I think it’s been much better recently but yesterday felt really great. It’s such a simple thing but when you’ve travelled through train strikes, railway flooding and crap weather to see your team play at a ground we have no luck at it, it really means a lot. Obviously the win made it even better. To come away with 3 points with some key injuries and lads filling in who don’t play regularly it was really impressive. The most pleasing thing of all was a clean sheet, that should really boost confidence. 💖💙

Oh, and @floyd99 the worst pub in Lewes is still head and shoulders above the best pub in almost every other away trip ...

You liked the Landsdown? Ye gads.

PS I wonder what visiting fans make of the nearest pub to Champion Hill which I assume is the decidedly non 'townie station pub' Cherry Tree. (Boring side fact: a mate of mine ran it ten years ago and popping up to see her was a reason for my first visit to Hamlet. Indeed, I joined Urban75 the day she announced she was taking over said Vale/Cherry Tree.)

You liked the Landsdown? Ye gads.

PS I wonder what visiting fans make of the nearest pub to Champion Hill which I assume is the decidedly non 'townie station pub' Cherry Tree. (Boring side fact: a mate of mine ran it ten years ago and popping up to see her was a reason for my first visit to Hamlet. Indeed, I joined Urban75 the day she announced she was taking over said Vale/Cherry Tree.)
A friend of mine lives next to Lewes Station and the Landsdown is his preferred local, so I normally meet him there. I've always preferred the Gardener's Arms, Brewer's Arms or Lewes Arms, but I'm happy enough with the Landsdown and it's certainly convenient as a final stop before the journey back to London.

The Cherry Tree was owned by a father and son for many years, with several changes of name and various makeovers, before they were bought out by a small chain (Redcomb Pubs) and moved to run the Golden Lion in Sydenham. That was about 10 years ago. The Cherry Tree was excellent during the Redcomb era, smart without trying to be too trendy, good range of beers without being too expensive, but Redcomb were bought by Young's just before the pandemic. Now it feels like a poncy gastropub to me, with a limited choice of beers and higher prices. I haven't visited for well over a year.

The only other obvious choice for away fans arriving at East Dulwich Station is the East Dulwich Tavern, which means walking away from the ground, and always gets packed on matchdays. I occasionally visit on weekdays but they seem to have scaled back on the cask beer range in recent months.

Anyone travelling via Denmark Hill Station has a choice of The Phoenix in the old station building, the Fox on the Hill which is one of the better Wetherspoon's with a vast beer garden, both of which generally seem to get favourable comments from away fans. Then there's the George Canning on the main road to the ground, which recently became part of the Craft Union chain of basic boozers focused on mainstream brands at below average prices. The Canning has just taken a full page advertisement in the match programme, offering unspecified discounts to supporters for selected drinks, but I haven't visited during its present incarnation.

The Gowlett Arms is probably the best/cheapest pub, around 10 minutes walk through the backstreets, but no one's going to find it without knowing where to look.

It's 11 years this month since Hooper's closed, mainly due to lack of trade in a secluded street on the P13 bus route only 5 minutes walk from the ground. It was basically a traditional backstreet boozer, run in a rather haphazard fashion by a slightly eccentric entrepreneur based in Brighton, but if it had kept going for another couple of years until the Hamlet’s attendances took off it might have had enough of a boost to sustain it for the longer term.

Back
Top Bottom