Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's hear it for Cardiff Buzz magazine!

editor

hiraethified
They've been going for 20 years and I'm going to raise my glass to this fine independent listings publication!

Buzz_Magazine_Cover.jpg

http://www.buzzmag.co.uk/

A mate used to write for it. He did a scathing review of some comedy act that were playing Glamorgan University and advised the readers to void at all costs. The Editor (a dodgy bunch all round, so I've heard - for clarity that's all editors :), not just Buzz's) changed the article and advised the readers to make sure they didn't miss it at all costs. "They advertise here every month. We can't give bad reviews!"

I did however win a free pair of Hush Puppies in one of their competitions so they're not totally evil

A mate used to write for it. He did a scathing review of some comedy act that were playing Glamorgan University and advised the readers to void at all costs. The Editor (a dodgy bunch all round, so I've heard) changed the article and advised the readers to make sure they didn't miss it at all costs. "They advertise here every month. We can't give bad reviews!"

I did however win a free pair of Hush Puppies in one of their competitions so they're not totally evil
The editor has signed up here so maybe she'll counter your mate's scathing allegation. :)

It is a tricky balancing act for independent magazines running on a shoestring though - is it worth running one scathing review from a freelance writer if it means they could end up losing the revenue the magazine needs to survive? Was the review important enough to risk the entire mag over?

When I was reviewing for a big name magazine, I always published whatever I wanted without fear or interference, but since I've been doing my one thing, I've been acutely aware of the pressures.

When I was trying to raise the advertising revenue for the first BrixtonBuzz issue, I realised that there was one or two places I couldn't ask because of my own reviews and things that had been posted up here. I'm still going to write what I like though otherwise there's no point doing it. I've never written a dishonest review.

Oh I understand the financial constraints they have to work within - after all it's free. Ever since though I've been fairly sceptical about any review. Thanks for the shoes though

Oh I understand the financial constraints they have to work within - after all it's free.
But you have just posted up a thoroughly damning and damaging unsupported critique of them and their honesty. Seemed a bit needless to me.

But I can assure you it was true. Early 90's, some Australian troupe of "comedians". I would imagine it's common practice in the freebee listings world. I was just sharing my experience of Buzz magazine, both good and bad

I'll happily retract the bad stuff for another pair of shoes. the old ones are all worn out

But I can assure you it was true. Early 90's, some Australian troupe of "comedians". I would imagine it's common practice in the freebee listings world. I was just sharing my experience of Buzz magazine, both good and bad
Actually, what you were doing was trying to piss all over a thread bigging up an independent, free magazine that has managed to keep going against the odds with an ancient, 'my friend told me' story that makes them out to be completely dishonest.

Well done. Really topical and helpful.

We're absolutely loving this thread! Always good to see both positive and negative comments!

However, I am terribly concerned about the Hush Puppies as a competition prize. Chances are it was probably a pair of shoes left in the office by someone and we just wanted to get rid of them...

Anyway, for those of you who want to read Buzz and haven't been able to get hold of a copy, you can always read it online here - http://www.buzzmag.co.uk/the-magazine/

And if you're looking for ideas for things to do each week, we have a handy feature on our website called '10 Things To Do'. You can view the current one here - http://www.buzzmag.co.uk/uncategorized/ten-things-to-do-mon-4-sun-10-mar/

Thanks for reading and for keeping us going for over 21 years!

However, I am terribly concerned about the Hush Puppies as a competition prize. Chances are it was probably a pair of shoes left in the office by someone and we just wanted to get rid of them...

You mean Hush Puppies aren't supposed to have that distinctive smell?

Back
Top Bottom