Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Large indestructible house plants

Termite Man

zombie flesh eater
I need to get some house plants for my flat and I want big ones, I do tend to kill plants off quite easily though so it has to be hardy, any recommendations?

We've got a huge Peace Lily that we haven't managed to kill
images

cheese plant, aspidistra, peace lily, umbrella plant. Avoid fig trees, though they're pretty they're a bugger to keep alive.

Dragon plants are very common + I've got a hosta which refuses to die despite being neglected.

dracaena deremensis - much stronger than d. maginata (dragon tree) and less likely to get spidermites.

sansevieria (snake plant) - a massive one might be expensive, but its SO indestructable its probably the one thing id be tempted to invest in.

dracaena massangeana (corn plant) - not nearly as tough as the others, but will probably look good for a long while anyway even if you dony get on with them and ikea do 130cm ones for £20.

fiddleleaffig.jpg

Fiddle-leaf fig. Have had one for years which was rescued after severe neglect in an office (that's not mine in the pic)

I'm hopping back on this thread after I've managed to kill several cactuses so am looking for some kind of easy-going smallish houseplants that don't need a whole lot of light and are tougher than Desperate Dan after a cowpie.

Something like spider plants but a bit prettier would be good. And cheap, obvs, as they'll probably end up being a sacrificial offering.

I went down the yucca pathway and has a range of them in size order and it was going well till no one opened the blinds in the front room for three months....who knew plants needed sunlight :facepalm::D

Sansevieria ("snake plant" / "mother in law's tongue") and zamioculcas ("zz plant") are both pretty indestructible and will cope with fairly low light. Overwatering plus a potting mix that doesn't drain well can kill them though - something to be careful of, since you mention killing a few cactuses and that's often what does it.

I've got loads of pelargoniums (indoor geraniums) which I was always prejudiced against but they've done really well and they've converted me. Lemon geranium too which smells lovely. Plus a massive aloe vera which has been percolating along for a few years now. I've actually managed to grow avocados from stones which was very satisfying.

Concrete block.

543048BA-0D1B-4D5B-BC17-D969D96A6255.jpeg
Pros: nigh on impossible to kill.
Cons: not really a plant.

I like Devil’s Ivy, in a pot on a high shelf. It will trail down beautifully, and as far as I am able to ascertain will survive a nuclear holocaust. Doesn’t even seem that bothered about sunlight. I think it feeds on the brainwaves of humans around it.

Caveat for anyone completely new to horticulture: cheese plants never bear fruit.
My Mum had one for ages and not so much as a mini babybel.

Nettles are probably good - they seem to grow anywhere.

And there's that Japanese knotweed (which is also good in desserts and stir fries).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom