Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth Mayor, Councillor Mark Bennett dies, age 43

Blimey. RIP.

On Twitter now. He's represented Streatham South since 2005 and was appointed Mayor of Lambeth only last year.

That is sad news - I vaguely knew him; friend of a friend, and he seemed genuinely to enjoy being Mayor (which in Lambeth this post is shared between the political parties, 1 year each, so he was due to step down from the post shortly)

Genuinely nice guy big on promoting the Food Banks, a hard working local Councillor reveling in the position of Mayor adding a degree of delightful eccentricity to the role. real loss for Lambeth - RIP

Poor guy, awful for his friends and family :(

The Lambeth Mayor is sort of a ceremonial position isn't it? No real powers…?

Bit like the Speaker in the Commons - Chair of the Council - Mostly Ceremonial but there is an office and the Mayoral Influence is important

It is tragic when someone dies so young. But some of the tributes have been going over top.

Brixton Blog has about 4 articles now. Including one about Blairs sorrow over the death of one his former loyal staff ( working for Alistair Campbell).

I thought he had come up on Urban before. Here is one thread on the SLP journalist accused by Bennet of physical attack

Bit like the Speaker in the Commons - Chair of the Council - Mostly Ceremonial but there is an office and the Mayoral Influence is important

yes, broadly that.

Traditionally, it tends to be a figurehead / ceremonial role allocated for a year at a time, and often the major parties take it in turns to appoint what's usually a long serving councillor.

Although a mayor usually has a 'casting vote' if a council vote is tied, and it can all get a bit more political in a 'no overall control' council.

Borough councils can now have a referendum on whether to have a directly elected 'executive' mayor, as (for example) Lewisham now has. Opinion is divided whether this is a good thing (i.e. directly elected and therefore 'accountable' high profile individual) or a bad thing (arguably personalises the whole thing too much / places too much power in the hands of one individual who may well get elected more on party ticket than as an individual.)

It is tragic when someone dies so young. But some of the tributes have been going over top.

Brixton Blog has about 4 articles now. Including one about Blairs sorrow over the death of one his former loyal staff ( working for Alistair Campbell).

Tributes are always over the top when someone dies and any press/blog will want to get the story out especially if there is elements of it being drip fed out (why write 1 or two posts when you can make it a four parter and save on creating other content). Advice to blogger suggests that at a minimum they should produce 3 posts a week to keep their audience (not too much, not too little).

Also involving famous names means the possibility of your article coming up in the search engine therefore raising the blog's profile and probably bringing a bit more traffic.

Tributes are always over the top when someone dies and any press/blog will want to get the story out especially if there is elements of it being drip fed out (why write 1 or two posts when you can make it a four parter and save on creating other content). Advice to blogger suggests that at a minimum they should produce 3 posts a week to keep their audience (not too much, not too little).

Also involving famous names means the possibility of your article coming up in the search engine therefore raising the blog's profile and probably bringing a bit more traffic.
a minimum of 3? and a maximum?

a minimum of 3? and a maximum?
I can't remember if I've read a define maximum numbers of post but a blogger has to be careful not to over do it (same with people sending email newsletters). I've probably missed loads of great new letter articles, emails and blog post due to information overload!

When I die I hope someone uses my news to drive traffic.

I only just clicked who this was, from fb mural society page.

RIP. Seemed like a jolly fellow who was enjoying his stint at being mayor and getting to wear the fancy garb.

Thanks for that info.

This does seem to be cynical use of media.

Mark Bennett was a New Labour loyalist. From what I have looked up he actually believed it. He was at centre of power whilst working in Alistair Campbells office.

A more interesting news article would look at him as a part of the the New Labour project which he clearly supported and worked for.

Looked at his blog and he is scathing of all those left and right who do not agree with the New Labour project. Seems to have no reflection on the failings of it in Blairs government. (ie Iraq).

Back
Top Bottom