Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth Housing Standard

Lambeth Living won't exist by 2016/17, as it'll have been re-absorbed into Lambeth's directly-funded services. The upside, for me, being that the toothy twat (i.e. LL's chairman, Keith Hill) will be out of a job.

Lambeth Living won't exist by 2016/17, as it'll have been re-absorbed into Lambeth's directly-funded services. The upside, for me, being that the toothy twat (i.e. LL's chairman, Keith Hill) will be out of a job.
A lot of ALMOs are being shut down/killed/ceased to exist/ex parroted , 10 years ago they were the future, now a lot of Councils are taking back management in-house. Hated ALMOs tbf, in house management isn't perfect but at least the councillors are more connected. I saw ALMOs as a way for councillors not to have to deal with housing because they didn't like tenants hassling them

I still can't wait. New windows is a priority as it gets fucking cold in the flat in winter. 2016 is a long wait...

Ok Guys
I have just heard that the guy in charge of these programmes (Ola Akinfi) has been sacked. it could be due to a investigation from his old work place Newham and possible dodgy procurement. The current LHS works are of so poor quality and so far behind that its very unlikely that they will hit their targets also Lambeth Living are not billing Leaseholders so the risk that revenues will suffer is very likely.

I would be writing to Lambeth and getting assurances that the planned works are still programmed,

As for damp when windows are fitted this is because the surveyor did not install adequate ventilation (simples)

Spyfly - totally right about damp and the windows. I can't understand why they don't put in good ventilation.

Not surprised about Newham and possible dodgy procurement.

I've just had my upgrade. New kitchen, bathroom and toilet. Nice to have the option of a shower. Really pleased with it. :):) I also had the rewiring. Bloody nightmare that was. No power for 7 hours.

Last edited:
well they do!
Also tiles don't have to be white and floors are not only magnolia.

so this is how kitchen are fitting in most boroughs.

Surveyor write to resident saying would you like a new kitchen.

yes?

Good these are the your choices of units work tiles, flooring etc. we will come around with a kitchen designer and work with you to get new kitchen installed.

Dear Resident are you happy with the design?

Yes.

Mr Contractor install this kitchen to this property within 10 days.

Mr Contractor thank you for installing this kitchen as a supervisor i'm happy that you have installed what the resident choose and what I have oredred.

Dear Resident are you happy with your new kitchen?

Yes thank you it is very nice and just what I wanted Thank you, you are a good Council.

Everyone is happy Simples!

Not bloody Brain surgery is it?

<snip> Surveyor write to resident saying would you like a new kitchen.

yes?

Good these are the your choices of units work tiles, flooring etc. we will come around with a kitchen designer and work with you to get new kitchen installed.

Everyone is happy Simples!

Not bloody Brain surgery is it?
Big hairy deal - what if you're quite happy with the kitchen or bathroom you've already got, but the council don't give a toss whether you need let alone want the "improvement"?

For example, if the council ever gets around to fitting new bathrooms and kitchen on this estate, unless individual tenants are allowed to refuse it, they'd unistall the wetroom and raised toilet here, remove the grab bars, in all probability remove the lever taps (which are currently fitted) when replacing the handbasin, and reinstall an unusable bath. Then there'd be at least 6 months to get the assessments, paperwork, and material work done to reinstate the wetroom etc,

I expect this because when it was decreed that all bathrooms had to be fitted with an extractor fan, the contractors insisted on ripping out the existing one (fitted and paid for by social services as part of the wetroom conversion) and replacing it with a smaller, quieter, but far less powerful fan. They could see an extractor fan already in place, they knew that it worked, and they still ripped it out. :mad:

I might add that the tiler was kind enough to offer to let VP and I choose the tile colour, as long as we bought them, and did so within 3 days. There was no way we could find so much money quickly enough, with no prior warning. White it was.

I went to the LHS workshop in Waterloo and they offer you a range of colours for tiles, cupboards, kitchen work top etc. to choose from.

I went to the LHS workshop in Waterloo and they offer you a range of colours for tiles, cupboards, kitchen work top etc. to choose from.
That's nice for you. What if your existing kitchen has adaptations which you need to keep?

Greebo ALMOs in other boroughs allow their residents to refuse or postpone 'improvements', surely Lmabeth must have that option, even if the contractors try and keep it quiet?

Greebo ALMOs in other boroughs allow their residents to refuse or postpone 'improvements', surely Lmabeth must have that option, even if the contractors try and keep it quiet?
WTF use is having that option if nobody bloody tells you about it? :mad:

Lambeth council seems to think that tenants are best treated as mushrooms; kept in the dark and fed horse shit.

That's nice for you. What if your existing kitchen has adaptations which you need to keep?

Not anything like expert on this but would have thought that the disability discrimination aspects of what's now the equalities act would be relevant here.

DietCokeGirl and Puddy_Tat just to clarify: I'm not having a go at either of you. I'm extremely bloody annoyed that even reasonably literate tenants with English as a first language are treated as bolshie ignorant ungrateful plebs the moment we even say "wait a minute" let alone "no".

The enforced removal of a perfectly good extractor fan and replacing it with an inferior one was bad enough; the cherry on it was the attitude of "she's just upset about the decor getting spoilt".

The shittily dismissive attitude continues into misrecording and ignoring repairs when they're reported - are you sure there isn't a water tank or pipe which could be making those steps wet and dangerously slippery in winter instead of it being a guttering/flashing problem? Are you sure that the float in the cistern isn't the problem? Guess what, I'm not fucking five and I've got at least a vague idea of basic DIY and where things are installed! :mad:

2MnBzp68m3vpfw7zOyIQSbKJ_400.jpg

Not at you...

i know that, but thanks...

I've found a document that may be useful - "Housing and the Disability Equality Duty - A guide to the Disability Equality Duty and Disability Discrimination Act 2005 for the social housing sector" - it's a fairly hefty document but may have some bits of law you can quote at any nitwits, which may focus minds a bit.

Due to how Google deals with links to things that open as a PDF I can't put a link here, but suggest a search on housing disability equality duty - and it's a PDF or word document you can download from the equality / human rights commission website.

Probably stating the bleeding obvious, but I can't imagine that you're alone in this situation. May be worth talking (if you've not already done so) to local Shelter / any disability organisation (I'm not Lambeth based so don't know the exact details)

Back
Top Bottom