Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lambeth Housing downsizing a property

aurora green

Tectonic
Long story short, I’m a lambeth council tenant and I’ve been trying to downsize my flat from 3 to 2 bedrooms, since August last year. It ought to be as easy as getting a bidding number and making a bid right? But unfortunately, because I already have a bidding number from 2003 ( which incidentally I was never informed of at the time) and most crucially does NOT work, I am unable to be issued a new one and therefore unable to make a bid.

You might have thought that seeing as essentially, I am doing the council a good turn by downsizing, they might want to assist me or help in some way, but unfortunately I caught in this eterrnal frustrating loop, with my housing officer ignoring all phone messages and not replying to any of my emails.

I have now reached the point where I need to complain, but I do not know who to.

I was wondering if any of you lovely people know any specific personnel in Lambeth housing (I need names) that it might be worth me complaining to? If anyone could help me out, I’d be so grateful.

I work for a London Council , we can make direct offers to Housing applicants if there are certain circumstances, downsizing is one of them. I don't know anyone in Lambeth, but you can complain via the complaints process , and then move in to the ombudsman if that isn't resolved. Or via local Councillor/MP. Or contact the Chief Exec , they hate getting emailed.

I work for a London Council , we can make direct offers to Housing applicants if there are certain circumstances, downsizing is one of them. I don't know anyone in Lambeth, but you can complain via the complaints process , and then move in to the ombudsman if that isn't resolved. Or via local Councillor/MP. Or contact the Chief Exec , they hate getting emailed.
Thanks so much for replying

Have you considered Mutual Exchange too? Might give you more choice.
Yes, I’ve been trying for years, but I’m on the 3rd floor with no lift or balcony and can’t get anyone to swap. Now that my kids have left home, Im ready to downsze and that should (in theory) be simple. It I didn’t live in Lambeth...

There is also a pan-london letting system, you can bid for properties in other boroughs. Fairly limited scheme, but people do move via it , one of my tenants is being re-housed in this way. I can't remember the website atm, but will post a link.

There is also a pan-london letting system, you can bid for properties in other boroughs. Fairly limited scheme, but people do move via it , one of my tenants is being re-housed in this way. I can't remember the website atm, but will post a link.
Yes thanks, the Lambeth scheme covers some other boroughs too, but it all goes back to me needing a bidding number.
As I am unable to bid without one.

This is the website for pan-london bidding. I spoke to mrs21, who works in Allocations, she doesn't understand why they can't let you reregister.

Long story short, I’m a lambeth council tenant and I’ve been trying to downsize my flat from 3 to 2 bedrooms, since August last year. It ought to be as easy as getting a bidding number and making a bid right? But unfortunately, because I already have a bidding number from 2003 ( which incidentally I was never informed of at the time) and most crucially does NOT work, I am unable to be issued a new one and therefore unable to make a bid.

You might have thought that seeing as essentially, I am doing the council a good turn by downsizing, they might want to assist me or help in some way, but unfortunately I caught in this eterrnal frustrating loop, with my housing officer ignoring all phone messages and not replying to any of my emails.

I have now reached the point where I need to complain, but I do not know who to.

I was wondering if any of you lovely people know any specific personnel in Lambeth housing (I need names) that it might be worth me complaining to? If anyone could help me out, I’d be so grateful.

Email your Ward Cllrs. Officers are expected to reply to query from Cllrs.

Yes thanks, the Lambeth scheme covers some other boroughs too, but it all goes back to me needing a bidding number.
As I am unable to bid without one.

You can register to join the transfer list which will give you a bidding reference number.
If you are a lambeth housing tenant:

If you are a HA tenant you can join the housing register:

Specific info on downsizing:

We get these sorts of Kafkaesque nightmares at work sometimes and it really is ridiculous. Does Lambeth have a local Shelter branch or law centre or similar type of setting? They will often have direct contacts of team managers which may help to resolve matters.

lambeth (like many councils) appear to be keen on people doing this and offer a cash sum and pay for the removal. (more here)

i'm some years out of touch with all of this sort of thing (and no personal knowledge of lambeth as either a resident or worker) but wondering if the system has got in a tangle with a bidding number from 2003 (was this when you first applied for housing or were considering moving house?) and you're getting a 'computer says no' response?

and also worth bearing in mind that most organisations have a proportion of people on work from home so all communications are slower than usual at the moment.

lambeth council complaint process here

You need to know what Ward you are in.

Try to keep email short and to the point. Cllrs have loads of emails every day.
Thanks this is very useful
You can register to join the transfer list which will give you a bidding reference number.
If you are a lambeth housing tenant:

If you are a HA tenant you can join the housing register:

Specific info on downsizing:
I have already done this, but do not have a working bidding number

lambeth (like many councils) appear to be keen on people doing this and offer a cash sum and pay for the removal. (more here)

i'm some years out of touch with all of this sort of thing (and no personal knowledge of lambeth as either a resident or worker) but wondering if the system has got in a tangle with a bidding number from 2003 (was this when you first applied for housing or were considering moving house?) and you're getting a 'computer says no' response?

and also worth bearing in mind that most organisations have a proportion of people on work from home so all communications are slower than usual at the moment.

lambeth council complaint process here
Yes I am definitely stuck in the system, that is why I need to complain, as no one will help me out if it

As Gramsci said, first Port of call should be your ward councillors. As they’re all busy with the election at present, and, as has been mentioned many council staff are either working from home or diverted to Covid related duties, you should expect some delays but they will get back to you and I’m sure they can chase this up quite easily and resolve the issue. If they don’t then there is a complaints procedure - stage 1 for local resolution escalating through timed stages as necessary, but I’m sure you won’t need to go that far

Back
Top Bottom