Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kew Gardens and the Treetop walkway

editor

hiraethified
kew-gardens-treetop-walkway-01.jpg

We visited Kew gardens over the weekend and went on the treetop walk. It's rather splendid. Anyone else been?

kew-gardens-treetop-walkway-04.jpg

kew-gardens-treetop-walkway-08.jpg

More photos: http://www.urban75.org/blog/kew-gardens-treetop-walkway-wobbly-but-fun/

It was very wobbly when we went and I am not great with heights.
Very glad I got up there though as it a was lovely view.

It was great to see little kids bounding along with nothing to fear while the adults where clinging to the edge :)

I went to Kew (first visit; I had HRP Membership and wanted to visit Kew Palace) in May. The Tree Top Walkway was on my list of things to do. When I got to it however I thought no way in fuck am I going up there! I did attempt to climb the stairs but chickened out part way up.

I could manage that fine. It looks very solid.

It is Go Ape that bothers me.

At Go Ape, recently :

Go-Ape.jpg

I watched my nephew having his 10th birthday party at Go Ape. I nearly shat my pants :oops: I like the idea of the treetop walk but I'm a bit shite with heights so I suspect it's going to be a theory forever

Nice pics, and lots of my favourite place - the Palm House :cool:

I don't think I've been since 2006 as I don't recognise that Alpine House. Don't think it was open then

Nice pics, I will have to go there it looks like a nice place to spend an afternoon.

Liked this one especially:

kew-gardens-london-24.jpg

I went last year for the first time - very nice day out. The skywalk up in the trees things wasnt bad at all

81199878.jpg

I *adore* Kew... at one point I used to try and get down there yearly. Some misc snaps from a couple of years back...

6108574604_0c880810ee_b.jpg

6108028827_17afdf570a_b.jpg

6108574610_b7c6651f58_b.jpg

6108574612_8e30266471_b.jpg

Never done the treetop walk though... one for the list!

The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew has a vital role in conserving the diversity of plant life on the planet and providing world-class research scientist in plant life and the impacts of climate change. Kew wide range of life and preserve plant exhibits also makes it a popular tourist attraction that brings joy to many visitors.

Bit cut and pastey that, Arline Ryan. :hmm: The second sentence is very clunky and all.

Anyway, I went with a school group but the disability access isn't working so I had to stay at the bottom with the pupils with mobility difficulties which was a bit meh :(

Yeah, only like 2 years ago (or maybe even earlier). Can't you post something new?

It's not recommended with a hangover on a windy day. Does give a different perspective on the trees though

Ive been to go ape. Was awesome fun, basically flinging ourselves of the platforms and hoping for the best (and checking the stewards weren't looking, but i think they knew we were gonna mess about and turned a bit of a blind eye).

The Kew walkway looks brilliant.

Is it included in the general admission price?

Oh - I just checked and the general admission is now £13.90. :eek:

When I lived in the area the the early 80s, it was something like 10p to get in, which you shoved into a slot on the turnstile. We'd get the Sunday papers, go to Kew Gardens, find a nice spot, then head to a pub on the green or along Strand on the Green.

I've just spent the last hour on TFL and Nstional Rail website as I had plans to take a friend to Kew but have now come across this

The Xstrata Treetop Walkway lift remains out of order

The Xstrata Treetop Walkway lift has proved unreliable since it was brought into service. After exhaustive investigation it has been decided that an alternative solution to the current lift will need to be found. Investigations are underway as to what the options are.
Please note that the lift is for disabled access only and the main route of access to the top of Xstrata Treetop Walkway is up a staircase (118 stairs).
We sincerely apologise if this affects your visit. If you have any questions concerning the closure of the lift and how this could affect your visit, please contact our Visitor Information team on 020 8332 5655 or send an email to info@kew.org.

:mad::mad:

It was out of order when i went over a year ago - has it worked since then??

It was out of order when i went over a year ago - has it worked since then??

Probably not according to the below on their website.

The Xstrata Treetop Walkway lift has proved unreliable since it was brought into service. After exhaustive investigation it has been decided that an alternative solution to the current lift will need to be found. Investigations are underway as to what the options are.

Please note that the lift is for disabled access only and the main route of access to the top of Xstrata Treetop Walkway is up a staircase (118 stairs).

We sincerely apologise if this affects your visit. If you have any questions concerning the closure of the lift and how this could affect your visit, please contact our Visitor Information team on 020 8332 5655 or send an email to info@kew.org.

I would normally have had no problem going up but my legs were fucked from pushing wheelchair around for 4 hours

Back
Top Bottom