Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kent driving tour?

Fortunately I am a lover of bleak landscapes so Dungeness attracts me, I’ve wanted to visit since learning about Jarman’s garden in the 90s.
yeah, there are signs on that cottage saying that people are living there so don't peer through the windows :D

Thanks all for these suggestions. I’ve been to that church at Tudeley, with my folks a few years back. In memory of someone who drowned IIRC

My dad appears to be quite keen to go to the Tenterden folk festival on one of the days, so looks like I have a surfeit of options to fill my time.

that looks quite good for a freebie
Leaflet%20front%20TFF%20-%20May%202021-ts1624103042.jpg

Obviously depends on what your bag is; there are some great NT places down that way - Sissinghurst is great for gardens, Scotney Castle for a bit of history.
Lamberhurst looks nice with a good looking pub or tearoom for refreshments. Some great vineyards also own that way.

Last edited:
Most importantly we want photos of queues in petrol stations or better still fights in forecourts :thumbs:
I can report most stations are closed, huge queues at Cobham services as I passed. Managed to get 20 litres near Faversham which will keep me going for a few days. Was very little queue but incredibly slow speed to pump the fuel.

So far I’ve been to Warden Point, Sheppey and Reculver.

nice day for it!
coastline inland to the east of there was underwater in the past, making Thanet a proper island - supposedly in danger of becoming so again with rising sea levels

394A9B1F-B487-4336-8AC6-F808D33C5CE7.jpeg4BB5C152-008D-4374-A5C7-61BD8CDDEB9E.jpegEnjoyed the latter part of my drive. Stopped off at Botany Bay, luckily the tide had not gone fully in. Also enjoyed the drive down Alkham Valley road on the way to the Abbotscliff sound mirror and finally the Battle of Britain memorial at Capel le Ferne. Views were good and I could see across to France. The memorial has an immersive experience which you have to pay for, at £6 it’s well worth it. My Grandad was RAF but didn’t fight in Battle of Britain to my knowledge.

Aching a bit as a lot more walking than I usually do but I suppose it’s good for me.

Thanks all for the suggestions. More tomorrow or Friday.

Lovely photos. Glad you got to reculver and could park by Botany Bay - not always easy!

walking through the Leas at Folkestone is nice and if you drive/walk along the coast to sandgate, there“s a little shack on the beach near the Ship which does lovely mackerel and horseradish rolls. Or a lobster shack in Hythe

Lovely photos. Glad you got to reculver and could park by Botany Bay - not always easy!

walking through the Leas at Folkestone is nice and if you drive/walk along the coast to sandgate, there“s a little shack on the beach near the Ship which does lovely mackerel and horseradish rolls. Or a lobster shack in Hythe
Yes! I wasnt sure about mackerel and horseradish but delicious

Wish I’d seen your post in time trashpony - I could have had that for my tea if it was still open. I did drive through Folkestone on my way back to base camp. Quite like the vibe of the place along the front. I’ll have to explore it properly when I can walk better.

I was very pleased to park at Botany Bay given how small the parking area was. It was surprising to have such a nice beach at the end of a road with little fanfare for it.

Wish I’d seen your post in time trashpony - I could have had that for my tea if it was still open. I did drive through Folkestone on my way back to base camp. Quite like the vibe of the place along the front. I’ll have to explore it properly when I can walk better.

I was very pleased to park at Botany Bay given how small the parking area was. It was surprising to have such a nice beach at the end of a road with little fanfare for it.
The lack of fanfare isn’t much fun for the residents - we had fights during lockdown :eek:

I’m sorry didn’t see your post earlier. If you go to dungeness, the little white pub just up the road from Derek Jarman’s house does very good chips.

The lack of fanfare isn’t much fun for the residents - we had fights during lockdown :eek:

I’m sorry didn’t see your post earlier. If you go to dungeness, the little white pub just up the road from Derek Jarman’s house does very good chips.
I can imagine that all too well :) I find it much nicer to visit anywhere out of season when it’s much quieter.

Dungeness is on for tomorrow. Fancy some chips now!

Sadly Dungeness wasn’t a great day out for me, my sciatica didn’t let me walk very far so I had some lunch and then drove back. Another time. I think exploring the area by bike may be a good option for the future.

I did however pop over to Wye with my dad and took in the outstanding view from the Devils Kneading Trough up on the North Downs.

Tomorrow I go down to Rye Harbour for a FEB via the Brenzett aeronautical museum in Romney Marsh which is having some sort of WW2 reenactment event which sounds like fun.

Down in Kent for Christmas I’ve been for a drive through Romney Marsh to Littlestone on Sea. The rain hasn’t abated sadly but I’ve had a brief damp look at what remains visible of the Phoenix Caisson (abandoned part of the Mulberry harbour which got stuck in the mud) at high tide

A24F1B54-AD11-4501-B40B-255E90A4091A.jpeg

Put this here as there didn’t seem to be a mundane pictures of the South thread

Huzzing it down with rain in Hythe too which I’d never visited. Not too bad.

F6EE2245-D25E-4498-B7D4-08CD30F937AE.jpeg

Attachments

• C1A9C4A7-E190-4AD8-BC9D-BC3FCA5570F5.jpeg
    C1A9C4A7-E190-4AD8-BC9D-BC3FCA5570F5.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 3
  • BAADCD61-895F-44BA-A2E1-608D7F5EBC00.jpeg
    BAADCD61-895F-44BA-A2E1-608D7F5EBC00.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 1622D9D1-1508-4536-932C-24B500CB5ECE.jpeg
    1622D9D1-1508-4536-932C-24B500CB5ECE.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 4
  • F2C6A12E-5642-4B51-A5AF-ED128A1FD9FA.jpeg
    F2C6A12E-5642-4B51-A5AF-ED128A1FD9FA.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 4
I was going to Sheppey today, but it was so bleak even the dog refused to come. So Hythe was a compromise.

Will manage next time.

Back
Top Bottom