Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Just checking I can ignore this email

panpete

Blokes name, birds body.
I got this email, copied below, I am just checking I can ignore this as he's asking for money. Not sure if one of my passwords is primrose, I have used that on previous sites years ago, but tend to get long passwords automatically generated these days, and don't fancy sifting through all my passwords.
Anyway, here it is.
"
Hi, today there are sadly some bad news for you.

Your device was infected with my private malware, your browser wasn't updated / patched, in such case it's enough to just visit some website where my iframe is placed to get automatically infected, if you want to find out more, Google: Drive-by exploit.

My malware gave me full access to all your accounts, full control over your device and it also was possible to spy on you over your cam.

If you think this is some bad joke, no, I know your password: Primrose

I collected all your private data and I RECORDED YOU (through your cam) SATISFYING YOURSELF!

After that I removed my malware to not leave any traces and this email was sent from some hacked server.

I can publish the video of you and all your private data on the whole web, social networks, over email and send everything to all your contacts.

But you can stop me and only I can help you out in this situation.

The only way to stop me, is to pay exactly 900$ in Bitcoin (BTC).

It's a very good offer, compared to all that horrible shit that will happen if I publish everything.

You can easily buy Bitcoin (BTC) here: www.paxful.com , www.coingate.com , www.coinbase.com , or check for Bitcoin (BTC) ATM near you, or Google for other exchanger.

You can send the Bitcoin (BTC) directly to my wallet, or install the free software: Atomicwallet, or: Exodus wallet, then receive and send to mine.

My Bitcoin (BTC) wallet is: bc1qtnh43ae8ur89d62y99gseejf7ud4zvrcntxzmx

Yes, that's how the wallet / address looks like, copy and paste it, it's (cAsE-sEnSEtiVE).

I give you 3 days time to pay.

After receiving the payment, I will remove everything and you can life your live in peace like before, don't worry, I keep my promise.

Next time make sure that your device got the newsest security updates.

ClientMailID: 2314410"

Thanks

This one has been going around for a few years.

Mum-tat got it a year or two ago (she is 80+ and has never had a web-cam) so we were fairly sure it was a load of tosh. I got it a bit after.

It is a bit more worrying than some, as it does include a genuine password - they will have got your e-mail address and password from one of the data breaches out there (I generally use different passwords for different sites, and think I identified the source of mine as being from linkedin, and i'd deleted my account from there by then.)

Advice is

take no notice

definitely do not click on any links in this e-mail

don't respond to it in any way

delete the e-mail (and delete it out of trash / deleted items as well)

if you do use 'primrose' as a password anywhere, change it.

Also, presume you've got reasonable computer security and do scan for nasties now and then.

I got one of those. Laughed like a drain. I don't have a camera attached to the computer.

What I know about bitcoin is somewhat less than I know about the mating habits of aspidistras. Can someone be traced by their bitcoin account? If so, then forwarding the E-mail to the police would a good move. This is classic 'Demanding money with menaces'.

I got one of those. Laughed like a drain. I don't have a camera attached to the computer.

What I know about bitcoin is somewhat less than I know about the mating habits of aspidistras. Can someone be traced by their bitcoin account? If so, then forwarding the E-mail to the police would a good move. This is classic 'Demanding money with menaces'.
Bitcoin doesn't leave a trail like electronic money. I'm no expert but afaik the whole idea originally was that you could buy things without it becoming traceable. You can pay for things on the dark web with bitcoin apparently. Personally I enjoy having no real money to spend so not having some not real money to spend is fine by me.

This one has been going around for a few years.

Mum-tat got it a year or two ago (she is 80+ and has never had a web-cam) so we were fairly sure it was a load of tosh. I got it a bit after.

It is a bit more worrying than some, as it does include a genuine password - they will have got your e-mail address and password from one of the data breaches out there (I generally use different passwords for different sites, and think I identified the source of mine as being from linkedin, and i'd deleted my account from there by then.)

Advice is

take no notice

definitely do not click on any links in this e-mail

don't respond to it in any way

delete the e-mail (and delete it out of trash / deleted items as well)

if you do use 'primrose' as a password anywhere, change it.

Also, presume you've got reasonable computer security and do scan for nasties now and then.
Thanks, I have no idea which site I used "primrose" as a password for, I don't fancy sifting through.
As I had a few in a row, I reckon this guy is a chancer.
I have a MacBook and a vpn.
I will look up apple instructions for security, thanks

If you don't have a web camera and haven't been pleasuring yourself then it's fake.

and if you do and if you have, it's almost certainly fake as well

Thanks, I have no idea which site I used "primrose" as a password for, I don't fancy sifting through.

you could try putting your e-mail address (or the e-mail address you got this on) in to https://haveibeenpwned.com/ - will tell you if that e-mail address has been in a data breach and if so which one/s.

and if you do and if you have, it's almost certainly fake as well

you could try putting your e-mail address (or the e-mail address you got this on) in to https://haveibeenpwned.com/ - will tell you if that e-mail address has been in a data breach and if so which one/s.
I disovered haveibeenpwned in 2016, it's good isn't it, of course my email appeared a few times. I have a much more secure system now, I will go on again to see if any saddos have been sniffing around.

Back
Top Bottom