Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Judge Orders LA to House the People of Skidrow

Yuwipi Woman

Whack-A-Mole Queen
I knew that homeless people in LA were bad off, but I didn't realize that last year 1,388 people died on the street there. Recently, a judge ordered that LA must house all of their people experiencing homelessness by this fall:

The order comes in response to a federal lawsuit filed last year by several citizens, business owners, and community leaders who argue officials have failed to address the homeless crisis in Los Angeles, as tents line full city blocks and makeshift shelters cramp under street overpasses.

Los Angeles has lost its parks, beaches, schools, sidewalks, and highway systems due to the inaction of city and county officials who have left our homeless citizens with no other place to turn," US District Judge David Carter said in the 110-page brief.

The judge's filing follows on Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announcing his budget for the next fiscal year in which he vowed to dedicate $1 billion toward homelessness. In 2020 alone, 1,383 homeless people died, and an estimated five more die each day, according to data from the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA).

The order states specific actions for the public streets of Skid Row -- home to one of the nation's biggest concentrations of homeless people.

Los Angeles' Skid Row: All homeless people must be offered housing by fall, judge orders (msn.com)

I have to wonder how well they'll manage that, given their lack of success so far. What they need is the will of their middle and upper classes to commit to humane solutions.

Naturally, LA is appealing the ruling.

Last edited:
What are the consequences when they don't do it? Not much I imagine.

The usual approach is the apply escalating fines until the provisions of the order is met, unless LA can give a valid reason why the need more time. My guess is that they'll get more time, give that its a pretty large issue that hasn't responded to past plans. TBH, I'm astonished such an order was issued in the first place.

The homeless situation in the US is a fucking disgrace, for the richest country in the world, along side health care.

I know we have problems in the UK, but it's nowt like what it is across the pond.

The homeless situation in the US is a fucking disgrace, for the richest country in the world, along side health care.

I know we have problems in the UK, but it's nowt like what it is across the pond.

Healthcare and homelessness are connected. My brother lost his house when he got sick. My mom and I paid his rent for the last few months of his life, or he'd have been homeless. I don't think that's unusual.

Last edited:
Was in LA a year before Covid and could not believe how many people were living in tents. You would see flyovers 200 m long completely covered with tents on both pavements. The amount of unmediated seriously mentally ill people left to try to survive on the street was also striking you would regularly, several an hour, see people who were obviously in a worse state than you see here a few times a year . Speaking to people there saying that the climate and the name acts as a magnet and the city, because of its bizarre structure with individual cities within the greater LA area, means they have fuck all money despite many of the worlds richest people having houses there.

God bless America.

Back
Top Bottom