Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jesus and Mary Chain ...

They're a good support band themselves. Popped up unexpectedly and did 3 songs supporting Cocteau Twins one time. I was very pleased.
The only time i saw them as a sort of support band was on the Rollercoaster Tour 1992. It was the last really good J&MC performance that i saw but can't remember the order the bands played - i seem to remember they rotated, but i think MBV were on after J&MC on my night. MBV were magnificent, of course, and Blur were better than i expected.

The only time i saw them as a sort of support band was on the Rollercoaster Tour 1992. It was the last really good J&MC performance that i saw but can't remember the order the bands played - i seem to remember they rotated, but i think MBV were on after J&MC on my night. MBV were magnificent, of course, and Blur were better than i expected.
IIRC they headlined with the other three rotating...but now I need to know for sure :D

On that subject there are few gigs i went to with my first wife and we really did not have similar tastes in music so i had to just grin and bear it when i went to see one of her bands. One time we went to see Dave Stewart out of Eurhythmics doing a solo performance (it was awful as you would expect), now i can remember seeing both Terry Hall and Difford and Tilbrook in support and having to tell all the DS fans around me to please be quiet as I want to watch the support act. I know both didn't play support, but can't work which did, and then it leaves the question of, where did i see the other act?

And that reminds me of another time we wet to see a support act - a new band that was just starting out and I'd been blogging about them so they invited me to their gigs (freebies) and my wife got into a row with the headline band because they were talking too much during the performance we were there too see, only I was so fucking embarrassed because the headliners were The Mekons, a band I virtually worshipped. I really wanted to see them too but my now ex wife fucked it up for me!

And finally - like your Edwin Collins moment, I found out years later that I'd seen Pulp in support of someone in early 90s (Morrissey?) when i found the ticket and it had Pulp written on it!! Have no memory of that at all.

We saw them way back, must have been sometime in the late 2000s as we went together, I seem to recall quite enjoying the gig even if they're not really my sort of thing.
N reminds me (he has a far better memory than me when it comes to music related stuff!) that Evan Dando or The Lemonheads were supporting and it was most likely at Brixton Academy.

40 years ago i would have been tempted to find out what you liked and called that shit, but I honestly don't care what other people think about my music. I just think its odd for someone to be so adamant that something is shit given how subjective the experience of listening to music is.

40 years ago i would have been tempted to find out what you liked and called that shit, but I honestly don't care what other people think about my music. I just think its odd for someone to be so adamant that something is shit given how subjective the experience of listening to music is.
I just hate the fucking Eagles, man.

JMC were fucking cool. A band is more than their music, or should be, even if the music is what you might mainly judge them on. Upside Down, Some Candy Talking, Reverence...I could go on. They were from East Kilbride, not some posho background. This matters. Their original 15 minute mayhem gigs were part of what a band should be. I was at PNL. Seen them quite a few times since (yes I'm old and am referring to the 90s mainly). They probably tailed off, my interests in music shifted. But 80s and 90s JMC - proper band.

Their original 15 minute mayhem gigs were part of what a band should be.
I'm sad I missed that - I was stuck in the west country till late in 1985, but I saw them twice in 86 so that nearly makes up for it. I'm pretty sure that their gigs were still a bit on the short side even then.

ETA - the gig I went to in Brixton - my first time in Brixton, 3 or 4 years before i moved there - was the first gig i ever went to with football match style policing, and police horses. So I thought it was going to be pretty hard core, but nothing really happened outside of the gig itself.

Last edited:
IIRC they headlined with the other three rotating...but now I need to know for sure :D

Went on two nights - mainly to see Dino and MBV, wasn't really into Blur (Damon was rat arsed and dropping his keks) JAMC were ok - but it seemed like they had turned in a "show" band.

Back
Top Bottom