*Hears mum shouting that tea is ready*

*Tells mum how much she is hated and how little she understands*

*Goes upstairs to do art homework*

*Sits in corner*

*Masturbates*

*Hides sock*

lightsoutlondon said:
I'm Upside Down at the news.

I'm sowing seeds at the news. Oh that doesn't work.

I saw them live just before automatic came out and they were utter shit.

Jesus! Have you seen the lineup on that mutha? Some festy, though let down by being full of langorously drawling Kaliforn-eye-ay septics.

ATOMIC SUPLEX said:

A superb proposition on vinyl, and, as you say; utter shite live.

Again - not wishing to beat the drum for any particular shop, but Sister Ray were doing a J&MC compo for about a fiver a while back. Just in case any young 'uns wonder who the fuck we're on about.

Don't ask me to explain the constant masturbation references. I don't have time: too busy washing socks.

lightsoutlondon said:
A superb proposition on vinyl, and, as you say; utter shite live.

Again - not wishing to beat the drum for any particular shop, but Sister Ray were doing a J&MC compo for about a fiver a while back. Just in case any young 'uns wonder who the fuck we're on about.

Don't ask me to explain the constant masturbation references. I don't have time: too busy washing socks.

They were not shit in a fucked up and could not play way, it was just boring and very very straight and restrained.

Boooorrrrinnnnngg.

lightsoutlondon said:
^ they were the acceptable sound of surf music/Beach Boys wannabes IMHO.

I like the records. Still play em.

I still love psychocandy, upside down and all that b sides and more stuff. Went a bit limp for darklands, Sidewalking was a bit of a comeback but automatic was shitola. I gave up after that.

did anyone else feel a sense of UK pride when they turned up at the end of 'Lost in Translation.' It certainly made me feel that this stuff, which i'd forgotten about for ages, was just as good as i remember. Was re-hearing some of 'Honey's Dead' in a record shop the other day, it hasn't aged.

DJWrongspeed said:
did anyone else feel a sense of UK pride when they turned up at the end of 'Lost in Translation.' It certainly made me feel that this stuff, which i'd forgotten about for ages, was just as good as i remember. Was re-hearing some of 'Honey's Dead' in a record shop the other day, it hasn't aged.

I was too busy wanting to smack lost in translation in the head to notice.

bendeus said:
Jesus! Have you seen the lineup on that mutha? Some festy, though let down by being full of langorously drawling Kaliforn-eye-ay septics.

Yup - like totally awesome duude.

However I see the fun-fascists are on the case ...

"No alcohol, glass containers, weapons, drug paraphernalia or drugs allowed. (There will be a clubhouse serving cocktails)"

bendeus said:

It all looks pretty shit to me apart from maybe CSS.

Unless the jazz and mazz chazz can pull something out of the hat.

Always thought they were a bit dull really. Neither as cool and spacey as stuff like spacemen 3, spiritualised, etc, nor as rocking as sonic youth or whatever.

el_starkos said:
Yup - like totally awesome duude.

However I see the fun-fascists are on the case ...

"No alcohol, glass containers, weapons, drug paraphernalia or drugs allowed. (There will be a clubhouse serving cocktails)"

and that's on the campsite not the actual venue!

Feel free to bring your own food and beverages into onsite camping, but unfortunately there will be NO open fires, gas, charcoal, propane or any other cooking devices allowed.

Sounds great

I thought I'd permanently damaged my hearing after seeing them sometime around then. 3 days later and my ears were still ringing.

Still the best gig I ever went to was Kilburn National in 1986 to see J&MC in their prime and at their loudest. I might have been the only person there who wasn't presenting as goth. If there was any possibility that I had photosensitive epilepsy I would have known that night. And my ears were still ringing, and my shoes were still sticky, into the following week.

Lost interest in the band around the mid 90s and when i went to see the reformed J&MC at the forum a decade later i was bored shitless.

But - I have to say - they always had very good support bands, at least the half a dozen times i saw them they did.

Saw them on the Rollercoaster tour which if memory serves Voley also did, although of the four bands on that lineup (Blur, Dinosaur Jr and MBV) the JAMC were the only ones that seemed to have the sound right - the others clearly wished to see the audience deafened. This was at Sheffield Arena.

Was this the tour you saw them at Voley ?

Saw them on the Rollercoaster tour which if memory serves Voley also did, although of the four bands on that lineup (Blur, Dinosaur Jr and MBV) the JAMC were the only ones that seemed to have the sound right - the others clearly wished to see the audience deafened. This was at Sheffield Arena.

Was this the tour you saw them at Voley ?
Yeah, at Brixton Academy. They were great that night. So were the others, although Blur were still finding their feet a bit at that point.

They're playing Newcastle on the same night as younger shoegaze upstarts Diiv. As much as I absolutely love them, I'm going to see the new guys instead.

Back
Top Bottom