Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jerry Springer has died

I was never on the show - obviously - but I did do the Jenny Jones chat show which was filmed in the same studio in Chicago.

I saw the Springer crowd in full effect when I visited the day before as they were leaving the studio. it was quite something!

I vaguely remember him platforming the Klan. Or was that Rikki Lake?

No matter, his ouvre contributed the amplification of human misery and leaves a toxic legacy regardless of whatever personal qualities he may (or may not) have had.

Perhaps it's rose tinted spectacles - and also perhaps the transatlantic distance - but I just can't feel negative about Jeremy Springer compared to other shows of the same genre. I think the worst that can be said is that it helped pave the way for much nastier and more exploitative stuff. It was so much fun. And then there was the opera, which upset all the right people.

I quite liked him. It was a programme with its tongue firmly in its cheek and the obvious fake guests (& scenarios) were quite clearly ridiculous and OTT with Jerry playing the bemused host. Unfortunately it was the show that begat Jeremy Kyle - a copy with none of the humour and with a sinister and supposedly moral stance that paraded and exploited desperate people for entertainment. May as well have just called it “Let’s Laugh at the Underclass”. Kyle is a piece of shit.

Perhaps it's rose tinted spectacles - and also perhaps the transatlantic distance - but I just can't feel negative about Jeremy Springer compared to other shows of the same genre. I think the worst that can be said is that it helped pave the way for much nastier and more exploitative stuff. It was so much fun. And then there was the opera, which upset all the right people.

Likewise, perhaps I'm remembering the show through the prism of Kyle, Kilroy and so on. The thought of them some of the guests being actors does make it funnier tbh.

I don't think it affects in anyway people's view of his TV show but he had an interesting background

Fuu93OJXoAUGIm8

And he was mayor of Cincinnati.

Likewise, perhaps I'm remembering the show through the prism of Kyle, Kilroy and so on. The thought of them some of the guests being actors does make it funnier tbh.
I think the big difference was that Jerry didn't despise his guests. And so much of the show was obviously made up or exaggerated.

I had no idea the show lasted until 2018, I would have guessed it ended at least a decade earlier.
From a look back in 2018:

Before it debuted in 1991, television was a much more sedate medium ... by the middle of the decade, the series dropped all pretence of civility in an all-encompassing quest for ratings.

In 1999, a 15-year-old boy in Florida was charged with the sexual battery of his eight-year-old half-sister, telling detectives that he had learned about incest from The Jerry Springer Show. A year later, the subject of a segment called Secret Mistresses Confronted was found dead hours after her episode was broadcast. Her ex-husband, who had appeared with her onscreen, was found guilty of her murder and sentenced to life imprisonment.

But the show ploughed on regardless. The same year as the “mistresses” episode, Springer signed a new $30m contract. He spent the next decade churning out episodes like “Oops ... I Had Sex with a Tranny!”, “Midget Madness!” and “You’re a Virgin & I Can’t Wait”.

But nothing this sensational can sustain itself. The show began to invent characters to hurl into the fray, such as the drunk and dishevelled Reverend Shnorr. From this point on, it was be a long, slow road to cancellation.

I don't think I ever saw a full episode and wasn't aware of the Wrestlemania-esque later years, it certainly seemed like grim and exploitative stuff from what I saw of its '90s heyday. The opera was a work of genius though.

in this old video

they list , chronologically, the name/subject of every jerry springer episode
its actually an interesting watch

includes a bit of a bio about the twat

I remember the show appearing, the grotesque circus of it peoples private sufferings and madnesses served up for your entertainment, was a sort of pre internet harbinger of things to come wasn’t it.
id say it was worse than what we have now

I was never on the show - obviously - but I did do the Jenny Jones chat show which was filmed in the same studio in Chicago.

I saw the Springer crowd in full effect when I visited the day before as they were leaving the studio. it was quite something!

Didn’t you mention you had a VHS of this somewhere but it would only play out in black and white (prob cos it was NTSC).

Surely now in 2023 there must be a way now of getting this converted in all its colourful glory ;)

Back
Top Bottom