Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Istanbul- what to see, esp with children

muvva

Ok, so what should go on my itinery?
I've already got the Blue Mosque and the big bazaar, where else should we visit?
Probably a trip on the Bosphorus?
I'm hoping to visit a hamam for an interesting experience!
I'm a bit clueless really, so ideas would be good.
I'll have a baby and two children in tow...

I've already got the Blue Mosque and the big bazaar, where else should we visit?
Paging phildwyer.... Seriously though, ask him. AFAIK he knows the area and should know which bits are childfriendly.

Thinkin about going to Turkey next month so will stay tuned with this.

Is Istambul a good city to fly to, or would urbz recommend elsewhere and then internal travel within Turkey? I shall be on a budget. Heat shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as it's not over 40 all the time...

I'd get a charter to Dalaman (which ever is cheapest) and then a bus to Coppadacia or wherever you want to go the buses are overnight and cheap as long as you're not overly concerned with elf and safety.

Paging phildwyer.... Seriously though, ask him. AFAIK he knows the area and should know which bits are childfriendly.

Hiya, I live in Istanbul much of the time and am here now.

Obviously Aya Sofia, the Cistern, the Blue Mosque, the Grand Bazaar, Galata Tower and Topkapi should be on your list. Take a public boat down the Bosphorus, don't bother with the private companies. You can stop off at Rumeli castle on the way. Don't forget the Asian side--especially Kadikoy. Istanbul has the best nightlife in Europe, try and visit a club called 360, and generally wander around Taksim/Beyoglu. Visit the soon-to-be-gentrified gypsy neighborhoods but only in the daytime (Istanbul is the safest city in Europe, and only a couple of bits are remotely dodgy, but they do exist.) Take a couple of trips to the Princes islands: Buyuk Ada but also Hybeliada or the other small ones.

Anything else you'd like to know?

How far does money stretch at the mo? What would be a reasonable daily cash budget for 2 adults, 2 kids and a baby for trips, food etc? Is there anything special going on during the first few weeks of august?
Thanks Phil

Some of my friends visited me in Istanbul with two small children. They liked the Bosphorus Cruise, Ortakoy, cats and kittens everywhere. You can also go to Rumeli Hisari, which is a big fortress, good for clambering over. If you're on the Asian side you could go to the toy museum.

Try to plan your days..it's a tiring and huge city, and will be more so with kids.

Back
Top Bottom