Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Istanbul tips?

Meant to be flying in tomorrow for a bit over a week. Just seen there's been another suicide bombing. Hope youre all ok Istanbul folks.

Advice, people?

It's really awful. Was just there last night. Many of my friends heard the explosion. Now there are rumours all over the place.

My Turkish friend in Spain has been giving me updates, via her friends there.

"I just talked with a friend of mine and he says the city looks like an abandoned city, there is nobody on the streets, nothing is working all the shops are closed."

Definitely now need to decide that the hell to do. I don't want to appear ignorant and selfish turning up for a holiday at such a difficult time. Or get blown up, obvs.

I am going to look at possible connecting flights, buses and boats out of Istambul tho this afternoon before I make my mind up about whether to cancel the trip completely or not. I have no idea though. Would the coasts be safer etc?

That's a massive exaggeration. My boyfriend is in the area right now and says yes, things are closed there, but nothing's closed anywhere else. I've been out to my course and been shopping. Streets are quieter than usual but certainly not an abandoned city!

No one would see you as ignorant and selfish. The country needs all the tourists it can get.

I do have to say though that many people who live here are (and have been for the last few days due to warnings) avoiding shopping centres, public transport and crowded places. Monday is Nevroz, celebrations have been banned but people always celebrate anyway and that almost always causes tensions.

Ok interesting, I was wondering what you thought. Would you still travel to Istanbul as a tourist then? I suppose things will be quite affected over the next week...

If we spend less time in central Istanbul, would the islands or any of the coastal areas be a good bet?

I looked into getting anothet flight from Ataturk straight down to Bodrum or Antalya. Was quite up for that ppssibility but the friend im meeting there thought it would be too much for him etc. It was also all too much to sort out and process in one day, too...

Couldnt change my Istanbul flights n didnt catch mine this morning in Madrid. So it's off. Gutted! I bet at least good half of the flight did the same. Shame really.

In a lightning rarely strikes twice in the same place logic I think Istanbul is perfectly safe from attack for the time being at that you'd have been at greater risk in Bodrun or Antalya as they haven't had an attack yet.

2 or 3 attacks in both big cities now tho. Not sure about your theory. Gonna be on high alert and no fun in Istanbul and its hard to sort out changing everything last minute.

Like you say, the other tourist resorts and areas are possibly next. My Turkish friend's advice was avoid Izmir cos of thst and both were pretty worried about further attacks. We were gonna go Marmaris and maybe Greek islands but decided easier to just cut out losses.

In the end, nowhere is fully safe in Turkey currently really. And i don't think id get caught up in anything, chances are very low, but just not feeling it all for the moment. Maybe this summer...

To be honest Riklet I've never known a time where there hasn't been the threat of trouble in Turkey. There's always some group that's not happy.
It's never stopped me going.

Isis could bomb anywhere. Even our local high streets.

I'm still going this summer. Statistically the chances of being a victim are pretty low. And Lord knows the UK isn't exactly safe...

Back
Top Bottom