Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Istanbul tips?

Idaho

blah blah blah
Going for three nights next week. Will do the usual big sites plus am hoping to visit a hammam. Any tips or suggestions?

Bosphorus cruise. Istanbul City Council (or whatever they're called) run trips on boats which seem quite cheap.

I think we did four nights/five days - got to see the Bazaar, Ayia Sofia, Blue Mosque, the underground cistern (which is amazing!) and did a lot of walking about. It's a fabulous city - I'd love to go again.

The archaeological museum is great but it's huge. We spent half a day there and got artefact fatigue by the end.

Cruise is a good idea. Also the markets were great. General wandering about is recommended.

Kadikoy for the ferry rides and market.

Day trip to Buyukada.

Walk around the gypsy quarter of Tarlabashi, daytime only.

Beyoglu is the place to go at night.

Have a drink in the Pera Palace Hotel.

Club 360 after midnight.

Go see a Fenerbache game if possible.

Check out Rumeli Hisar and the Bebek/Arnavurtkoy area.

Went to Kadikoy today and wandered about. Went to a hammam and was scrubbed and wrenched. Then got the ferry back and saw the cistern. Very pleasant. Only got the morning tomorrow. Haven't been to the hagya sophya yet. Might do that.

I have yet to experience actual hunger here. Whenever even the faintest hint of it appears, I smother it with huge amounts of tasty food.

This enough for you? :)

For foodies: http://istanbuleats.com/
Personal recommendations would be breakfast at 'Kale' in Rumeli Hisari or 'Namli Gurme' in Karakoy.
Lunch: going to be less colourful due to Ramazan but fuck it. 'Helvetia' in Tunel/Asmali Mescit or House Cafe in Ortakoy.
Drinks: Nu pera teras on Mesrutiyet Caddesi (Mesrutiyet road near Taksim) and 360 on Istiklal caddesi for sunset cocktails. Also fish and beer on Nevizade in the evening. Or fish and wine along the Bosphorus in Bebek or Arnavutkoy. Anjelique in Ortakoy is nice, as is Reina.
Princess Islands: Really pretty, no cars, hour away by ferry.
Turkish Bath: Cemberlitas is the oldest and most lush
Afternoon strolls: Visit Cihangir and have coffee in one of the cafes. Narrow roads and antique shops, independent designers, boutiques etc.
Galata tower: Do it.
Basilica Cistern: Do it.
Hagia Sofia: Do it.
Blue Mosque: Blah. Essentially a big mosque that isn't actually blue.
Grand Bazaar: Would be lovely if it were void of over pushy salesmen shouting at you in German/Dutch/Japanese
Topkapi Palace: Nice to stroll in the gardens but not worth paying to get in to see the armory or harem unless you are into that sort of thing. A bit blah inside. Beautiful on the outside.

Smoke a sheesha by the bosphorous at sunset, whilst sipping an apple tea + nibbling on a rose water syrup soaked baklava.

Agree with TitanSound suggestions above although I would go into the Harem at the Topkapi only because you do get the get a sense of the public and private facades of both the building and the lives of those who lived there :)

Also Sulimaniye Mosque is worth a look - but then I quite like looking round mosques and churches :oops:

Im going in 2 weeks.

Any tips on good daytrips or nice places to stay near Istanbul?

And also where to stay or in which areas in the actual city?

Im gonna be alone for the first 4 days so might get out of the city and go stay somewhere cool/chilled/different nearby after the first night. But then a friend is coming out and we have 4 days together to see the city. Neither of us have been before.

Near the Galata tower, karakoy, is bustling and interesting. Just a stroll over the bridge to the tourist sites.

I enjoyed getting the ferry to the Asia side.

Loved Istanbul.

Although it's tourist central, I'd stay in Sultanahmet for a first visit. It's just easy to get to the main spots and has some lovely quaint streets as well. If you want something a bit cooler, try Galata, Karakoy or Cihangir. Don't stay up in Taksim.

Hmm.. Hagia Sophia was amazing and beautiful but the blue mosque was just like all mosques - calm, grand and dull.

Thanks folks.

Any recommendations for day or 2 day trips out of Istanbul?

Princes' islands look great, i was thinking about spending a night or two there before my mate arrives.

Islands, but not at weekends. Day trip is enough. Boat trip up to almost the end of the Bosphorus. Sile or Agva for a beach. Day over on Asian side. You're spoilt for choice really.

Out of interest, is the pudding shop (sp?) still there?

I've only been to Istanbul once, maybe 15 years ago, but it was properly weird /amazing to be in *that* cafe, where *that* film was placed in it's opening moments.

Meant to be flying in tomorrow for a bit over a week. Just seen there's been another suicide bombing. Hope youre all ok Istanbul folks.

Advice, people?

Hmm.. Hagia Sophia was amazing and beautiful but the blue mosque was just like all mosques - calm, grand and dull.

* Hagia Sophia worth the price of admission.
* Topaki palace (sp?) worth going in.
* Blue mosque... Look at the outside of it (it's close enough to the others) but there really is little point going inside if you aren't a Moslem wanting to pray inside a famous mosque.

Midnight Express presumably. Poss the worst film ever imo.

The Pudding Shop has changed a bit since the '60s...
What's the deal with the pudding shop?

A quick google street view revealed to me that I've walked past that place over 20 times* but it never made any impression on me.

* to get to a cheap cafe we liked up the road.

Back
Top Bottom