Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Is Man Just Another Animal?" Professor Steve Jones says...

Fuck you, too, Trux, MM, LBJ and so on! :D

Name dropping automatically "bad"? No, it's a shorthand. You either know it or you don't. Now, in the age of internet (IIYF) it shouldn't be a problem to check, if you don't know. If you do not - I don't care much about lazy sods. You have nobody to blame but yourselves. Nowt to do with me. If one is soooo touchy and insecure - there's no helping you, sorry... It goes in science and so on, why are philosophers banned from it especially? Really, honestly, not easy to make this shit up...

As for "jargon": what I wrote is not "dense" and whatnot - on purpose. I made an effort not to go heavily in that direction. But you don't wanna know. You don't want to make even a minimal effort to understand it on its own terms. Fine. We stop. End of. Because, to me, in that case, you guys are "dense" and "heavy".

You see, as far as I am concerned, the real differences are in "traditions", schools of thought, languages spoken, books read, one's capacities etc. - these are real and either connecting or "in the way", so to speak, and then one must work extra hard to actually communicate. Now, if one doesn't want to know any of that, if one is unfamiliar with the "other's" position, and yet doesn't want to get to know such a position full stop - why do only I have to care? In that case - it's your problem.

Johnny, you didn't say: where did you study? What were the prevailing schools of thought there? What was your more narrow field of interest?

FYI: I studied in Zagreb (Philosophy [Praxis school of philosophy, guys who established Korcula summer school, where almost the whole world of not only eminent philosophers came together, long time ago, in former Yugoslavia] and Political Sciences), London (finished my Philosophy BA and then did MA in EU Studies, plus 1/2 MA in Human Rights [never had the time etc. to go back to UCL and finish it]). My more narrow fields of interest are philosophy of politics, ethics, axiology, from a "left leaning" POV (Kant-Hegel, Marx - Lukacs, Bloch, then Frankfurt School of Critical Theory and Praxis, as mentioned).

@Anyone insinuating that I am somehow either religiously inclined or authoritarian in my stance and so on - you're a cretin!!! It means you have ideological blinkers which blind you and fool's narrow mindedness to allow yourself to pontificate about "the other" allegedly pontificating. And when I see all that:facepalm::hmm::facepalm::confused: I just go :eek: - FFS!!!:rolleyes:

It's a typically conservative little "game": the darker the Human Nature (in this case reductionism of the utmost kind, to the level of animal), the bleaker the outcomes and hence the need for greater Leviathan of the state and conservative measures to "stem" our "animal nature".

These arseholes usually never contextualise how they got to those "ideas", where we are nothing but animals at each other's throats, trying to gobble each other up without choking, which proves their shallowness to the extreme.

I stopped taking those cretins seriously long ago. I know where that leads.

Nah, OU, just those who do not want to open up to other's POV but dare to criticise others for allegedly doing something of the sort. Kinda post-imperial syndrome - superiority complex with extreme laziness...

Last edited:
Nah, OU, just those who do not want to open up to the other's POV but dare to criticise others for allegedly doing something of the sort. Kinda post-imperial syndrome - superiority complex with extreme laziness...
i think you'll find it's you who has a superiority complex.
you wish to wilfully misunderstand a taxonomic question to show off your cod-philosophical pontifications and you've been exposed for it. and now you're throwing your toys out of the pram.

God, no! :D You must be fully arrested in a swimming costume or else! :p

OU, you will never, ever get any closer to any of it - just leave it out, you're gonna do yourself an injury!

What a fuckwit with a chip on your shoulder the size of Manhattan!!!

It is there for a reason. But reason and you are not speaking...

He calls everyone lazy, yet results to insulting anyone who disagrees with him as being incapable of understanding his erudition and he can't even be bothered to tag anyone in his responses.

Name dropping automatically "bad"? No, it's a shorthand.

You wouldn't need to do it if you could apply what you have read/read about. And gorski, calm down. The disagreement is only one over different labels.

And MA's are ten a penny these days, and as I've pointed out before - somebody who has studied for a mere degree (learning for exams) is no match for a enthusiastic autodidact. With philosophy it's probably worse, philosophy lecturers tend to be doctrinaire bores, philosophy students have the disadvantage of being molded at an age when molding is easy.

Last edited:
K, keep it your pants, m8 - you have not been to ZG FF... :D

Keep embarrassing yourself.

What a moron...

He calls everyone lazy, yet results to insulting anyone who disagrees with him as being incapable of understanding his erudition and he can't even be bothered to tag anyone in his responses.

You certainly are incapable... of just about anything meaningful, I would say... All here are like you?:eek::facepalm: Thank fook:D - not the case!!! :p

Johnny, were they into analytic philosophy, logics, any Marxists, did you hear anything about the Frankfurt School, hermeneutics or... Gimme some dirt! :D

Btw, I started in early 80-ies...

OK and the rest? Heidegger, the French are usually popular, Adorno, Marcuse or was it all, more or less, Anglo-American positivist, analytical etc. stuff?

If you are so well educated why are you arguing about such trivial matters as labels and drawing lines? You do understand that it is possible to say that humans are animals but they are uniquely "historic" etc.

No, none of them would have such patience and persistence with some of the eejuts here... :p : D :p

I say animal you say humans and animals
You say animal I say animals excluding humans

Relabeling achieves nothing. It's just an unusual form of political correctness. Short or vertically challenged?

gorski you never answered any of my questions about how it would be helpful to us to view ourselves as separate from the animal kingdom. The word animal is merely a taxonomic description that distinguishes animals from other biological kingdoms. You can't deny this, so why do you seek to?

Back
Top Bottom