Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Inverness and Fort William Attractions!

ska invita

back on the other side
It looks like I will be spending christmas up on Loch Lochy - half way between Inverness and Fort William.

It would be nice to visit both towns - any recommendations for either?

I gather Fort William has a supermarket, which will be important!

Or anything else in a smaller town thats worth a check.

Thanks!

niksativa said:
It would be nice to visit both towns - any recommendations for either?

I gather Fort William has a supermarket, which will be important!

Or anything else in a smaller town thats worth a check.

Towns in the Highlands, with the possible exceptions of the fishing ports, are never destinations in their own right. You go because you have to, not because you want to. This is certainly the case with Fort William; Inverness is marginally less purely utilitarian, but much further from Loch Lochy and probably not worth the drive. If you do go, the high road on the south side of Loch Ness is much more picturesque than the grim A82, but it is likely to be an adventure in midwinter so check the weather forecast before you set off and avoid doing it in the dark.

To make the best of your time up there, you should try to have breakfast before it gets light, otherwise it will be dark again before you've got your boots on.

The Fort William to Mallaig train journey is supposed to be spectacularly good. Mind you at that time of year you might not be able to see anything.

Whilst Inverness has all the attractions/facilities of your usual large town & plenty more in the areas around it. Fort William has only one attraction IMO, the Nevis Bakery - Pies to die-for! The rest of the place is grim & best avoided. Head a few miles further south to Appin (top pub by the foot-ferry to Lismore at Port Appin), Benderloch or even Glencoe instead. The Morrisons store in FW is nicely placed on the relief road, by the station so you can easily get in & out fast!

I'd second the South road on Loch Ness too, much nicer than the main road which has restricted views along much of its length & can be quite dangerous to-boot. Especially if you are going North as most parking is on the right. Turn right in Ft Augustus for it.

IV has all the retail you want. A small central Tesco by the main bridge in the centre & a big new one at the retail park by Raigmore Hospital, - well signed from the town & reachable from the Eastern bypass. Lidl & Asda are on the Beauly road at the other side near the mouth of the canal.

Dolphin watching at Channonry point ought to be good, most of the dolphins concentrate on the Moray Firth in Winter.
:)

Donna Ferentes said:
The Fort William to Mallaig train journey is supposed to be spectacularly good. Mind you at that time of year you might not be able to see anything.

Spectacularly scenic, and often steam-hauled during the summer months.

steamtrainbig.jpg

Steam trains and gorgeous scenery - what more could you want? :cool:

I've not been along the Fort William - Mallaig line itself, but it's one thing I plan to do at some point.

According to this page they use steam on the line between May and October, though obviously not for every service. IIRC it's one of few places where they didn't rip out, or later reinstated, the turntables, water columns and other malarkey you need to deal with regular steam operation, and it really does bring the tourists in.

Nah. I'm pretty sure that the steam train does the Mallaig-Fort William section "tender first" - no turntable at Mallaig to turn it round.

fortyplus said:
Nah. I'm pretty sure that the steam train does the Mallaig-Fort William section "tender first" - no turntable at Mallaig to turn it round.

Ah. I was under the impression they had either a turntable or a triangle, but I've not been so may be wrong...

There's also the gondolas and ski-lift at Aonach Mor, just beyond Corpach on the Mallaig road out of Fort William, which will get you up to the snowline.

Nevisport in Fort William will kit you out.

The walk up Glen Nevis is spectacular, and not too demanding.

Plenty of scenic drives around that part, without coming as far south as Appin (although I agree with Pogofish that it's pretty good). The area to the west of the Great Glen is deserted. Loch Hourn is an amazing dark, gloomy place (iirc it means Hell Loch in the Gaelic); the head of the loch never gets any sun, all year round.

But, as I said before, mostly it will be dark when you are there. I'm sure this is a contributing factor to the locals' love of a dram; there's sod all else to do in winter. And whatever you do, don't let rain put you off.

Only things worth visiting imo would be Moniack Castle(Winery) and Clava Cairns. Maybe a few hills.

Why do folk think there's anything special about Eilean Donan?? I've never understood that. There's loads prettier/cooler castles. It's just looks like a fortified house.

fortyplus said:
There's also the gondolas and ski-lift at Aonach Mor, just beyond Corpach on the Mallaig road out of Fort William, which will get you up to the snowline.

The walk up Glen Nevis is spectacular, and not too demanding.

Except that if there is more than a hint of snow, all the ski places in that area will be seriously mobbed & queuing for ages is the norm.

Indeed, although again at that time of year & especially with the combination of harsh weather & short days, any outdoor activities become that bit more arduous & as much of the land around the Great Glen is quite bleak & exponed, only the more experienced should venture out.

Thanks to this thread I now have what I believe is called an earworm...ie irritating tune you can't get out of your head....
Four-and-twenty virgins came down from Inverness.....

:mad:

pogofish said:
Except that if there is more than a hint of snow, all the ski places in that area will be seriously mobbed & queuing for ages is the norm.
That's absolutely true, it will be hectic whatever the weather around Christmas.
Indeed, although again at that time of year & especially with the combination of harsh weather & short days, any outdoor activities become that bit more arduous & as much of the land around the Great Glen is quite bleak & exponed, only the more experienced should venture out.
Be sensible, and you'll be fine. Outdoors is the main attraction at any time of year and it's worth the effort. Good, warm, waterproof clothes, good boots, a map, stay on the paths and out of mist and clouds, and make an early start to catch the daylight. The Glen Nevis walk will be busy, there's a carpark at the bottom and a well maintained path up past spectacular waterfalls and although I'd never recommend it you'd be perfectly safe in trainers.

Another good, long but easy walk is along General Wade's Road from Fort William to Kinlochleven, but you need a car to pick you up at the other end.

OTOH don't even think of going up Ben Nevis; even if you'd have time, it's a really boring walk.

Donna Ferentes said:
The Fort William to Mallaig train journey is supposed to be spectacularly good.

For a British train journey it's great and spectacular in parts (the viaduct is particularly good :cool:) but a lot of it is bleak countryside with sheep. That's not to dis it in any way, but the fact that I'd been told so many times by people that it was utterly fantastic made the reality of it a little disappointing.

Especially as it starts and ends in two especially dismal places. My advice is to leave Mallaig asap, preferably by ferry to Skye.

fortyplus said:
OTOH don't even think of going up Ben Nevis; even if you'd have time, it's a really boring walk.

I'd let people find that out for themselves rather than confirm the smug git epithet. On a nice day the views are superb and in any case many people feel a sense of achievement at going up Britain's highest.

There are more interesting ways up BN than the Glen Nevis path but they're for people with a fair bit of hillwalking experience so they're likely to know that already

Great stuff - thanks all - yep, Im a little worried about the weather - I know the roads get closed sometimes in winter.

By the way I know Mallaig well - I worked on a prawn fishing boat there for a couple of summers - I really love the west coast. never been by train though...

I had a feeling that there wouldnt be much to do in the towns - Ive stopped at FW to pick up food on the way to Mallaig - thats it. I was wondering if there was anything more to it...obviously not much.

Thanks again for the replys - really usefull.

fort william does look grim but it does have the odd attraction. the jacobite museum is quite interesting. the nevis sport bookshop has a fantastic range of books and maps on all things outdoors. if u like the sligthly crappy chicken in a basket version of scottish culture then go to mctavish's (i think) for one of their highland nights

nightowl said:
the nevis sport bookshop has a fantastic range of books and maps on all things outdoors.

That basically covers Fort William, although Morrison's is handy to stock up on food stuffs. If you want some great views of Ben Nevis follow the A830 out to Corpach and take a right by Neptune's Ladder , the B8004, and follow the road to Spean Bridge :cool: Not so sure about the sights in Inverness, only been there a few times. As has already been said, the steam engine only runs during the summer months, but it's a lovely trip to take. Have a great time :cool:

pogofish said:
Whilst Inverness has all the attractions/facilities of your usual large town & plenty more in the areas around it. Fort William has only one attraction IMO, the Nevis Bakery - Pies to die-for! The rest of the place is grim & best avoided. Head a few miles further south to Appin (top pub by the foot-ferry to Lismore at Port Appin), Benderloch or even Glencoe instead. The Morrisons store in FW is nicely placed on the relief road, by the station so you can easily get in & out fast!

I'd second the South road on Loch Ness too, much nicer than the main road which has restricted views along much of its length & can be quite dangerous to-boot. Especially if you are going North as most parking is on the right. Turn right in Ft Augustus for it.

IV has all the retail you want. A small central Tesco by the main bridge in the centre & a big new one at the retail park by Raigmore Hospital, - well signed from the town & reachable from the Eastern bypass. Lidl & Asda are on the Beauly road at the other side near the mouth of the canal.

Dolphin watching at Channonry point ought to be good, most of the dolphins concentrate on the Moray Firth in Winter.
:)

I built the relief road. Well, I had a hand in it. :D

fortyplus said:
a creel boat, or a trawler?

Done a bit of that too, in my time - didn't expect to meet another one on U75.
:cool:

A creel boat - the fisherman I know is based up on Loch Hourn, the other side of the hills of Knoydart from mallaig.

Its a pretty cool job, as long as the weather is okay - therefore its a nightmare! However, as a townie I loved it - especially the commute by dingy to the boat.

The sad part is that when he went there in the 70's he could fish for a couple of hours right on the doorstep and have a plenty big catch - now he has to chug out to sea nearly 2hrs (its a slow boat), prawn populations are suffering as much as all fish populations.

I have little sympathy for industrial fishing - trawlers are scum as far as I can see - even though I'm a vegetarian, and uncomfortable with eating any sealife, I have respect for those who can make a humble living in a sustainable way in what is a tough part of the world to live and survive in.

-

P.S> Thanks for the tip about dolphins at Chanonry point - that sounds worthy of a day trip.

P.P.S - I found out I'll be staying in Lagaan - any extra info on this particular spot would be cool too. - oh, and thats South Lagaan- South Side! bo! bo!

niksativa said:
P.P.S - I found out I'll be staying in Lagaan - any extra info on this particular spot would be cool too. - oh, and thats South Lagaan- South Side! bo! bo!

I'm afraid everyone I've ever known from Laggan has got out at the earliest oportunity.

...somehow that doesnt surprise me - I imagine what with being so close to Loch Ness its probably a bit of a tourist spot with a coach car park somewhere in town... nothing like a dependancy on tourists for a living to make you hate everyone who isn't scottish!

Back
Top Bottom