Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Intrepid Fox, Soho - closing down

onemonkey said:
hmm.. I haven't been surrounded by metallers and goffs since we got back from sziget

I take it you spent a lot of time at the HammerWorld tent then? That place was goth central. It's no wonder the Hungarian army set up a machine gun nest outside it :D

onemonkey said:
All the best bands were in HammerWorld and a lot of the worst ones :D

I ventured in once and it was shocking 80's hair metal, I couldn't persuade my gf to go back in all week.

I spent a lot of time down the world music/roma/wan2 and saw some great stuff. The covers band tent was a laugh as well, I saw the best G'n'R cover band ever in there! Faux Hungarian Axl in his tight white jockeys and big boots :D

Apologies for the derail

N1 Buoy said:
The covers band tent was a laugh as well, I saw the best G'n'R cover band ever in there! Faux Hungarian Axl in his tight white jockeys and big boots :D l
Which one was it? We saw two. Hollywood Rose who were crap and Dust n' Bones who were brilliant.

I'm up for a night at the Fox. It's been too long.

LD Rudeboy said:
Which one was it? We saw two. Hollywood Rose who were crap and Dust n' Bones who were brilliant.

I'm up for a night at the Fox. It's been too long.

We saw Dust n' Bones and they were great...If you closed your eyes it could have been the real thing. They were health concious as well: "Slash" and "Duff" never lit that fag once :D .

ivebeenhigh said:
The hairdressers, followed by Moss Bros?

Seriosuly that place is as wanky and elitest as any posh club type place, went in there a few weeks ago, I wander in just fine (I dont look like a goth, but I was probably wearing combats and cons) but my mate gets stopped and gets told he cant come in. his crime? wearing a white shirt, some pressed trousers and polished shoes.

wankers. glad their trade is down and they are being shut.
hmm let's look at the first comment goths should go to the hiar dressers and then moss bross but they wouldn't let you into their unkept and messy pub on the gorunds that thye have had considerable problems with twats over the years and very protective of their regulars, over some twat who'd tell em to dress proper and get a haircut...

funny that... i think that the wanker is else where...

nipsla said:
The beer in the Intrepid Fox was weak shite, it was full of slightly scary people, and the music policy was a bit too hardcore even for my dubious taste but I still have soft spot in my heart for the old girl :(

Not happy about this at all :mad: :mad:

that was kind of my take on it. although for scary substitute annoying scene wankers who judge you by your clothes. haven't been in years but somehow losing it seems a bit wrong.

Won't somebody think of the building!

Surely that would be a listed building in any other town but London where they still have a few similar ones left?

Also £53 million for 21 pubs in London is not very much money. It looks to me like asset-stripping my Mitchell and Butlers. Their accountants just want them to hit a certain target by the end of the next financial year and selling off pubs to property speculators is the way they have gone.

It is another case of knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Magneze said:
Yep, I've been treated appallingly in there too, haven't been back since. I clearly didn't look "rawk" enough for them. Twats.

I thought you had a good time when we went there :(

Iemanja said:
I thought you had a good time when we went there :(
Not the last time ... you ended up throwing rizlas and empty tobacco packets at the barmaid! :D

The times before were good though! :cool: As I said, probably got a bad night last time ...

onemonkey said:
hmm.. I haven't been surrounded by metallers and goffs since we got back from sziget

so anyone fancy an urban trip?

I would as its a pub with character, unfortunately its in Soho, which I really don't like*.

*read 'I fucking hate the dirty, smelly, overcrowded, over priced shit hole that they call the West End'

onemonkey said:
so when are we going?

next wednesday (13th) looks good to me..
That's not really a good night for me as it's my wedding anniversary that day. Having said that there is no harm in asking my Good Lady Wife. ;)

i went last week to say goodbye. don't bank on being able to get a table, it's rammed with people with the same idea, and people taking photos and stuff, it was a bit depressing. s'alright standing outside tho, but then you might as well just go to a shop first for cans.

Get there early folks

A mate of mine went on Saturday to say goodbye and it was so packed they weren't letting anyone else in. She ended up having a night out in our living room instead.

CharlieAddict said:
london's true landmark was 'the dive bar' on gerrard street. that place use to play all my favourite old jazz records...

Yes, that was a great little place. :cool: One of the few central nodnol places worth going to.

CharlieAddict said:
london's true landmark was 'the dive bar' on gerrard street. that place use to play all my favourite old jazz records...

That was my favourite Soho watering hole ever since the mid-80's. I'm still sad everytime I walk past where the Dive Bar used to be. :(

bluestreak said:
that was kind of my take on it. although for scary substitute annoying scene wankers who judge you by your clothes. haven't been in years but somehow losing it seems a bit wrong.
The ironic thing is the Fox had a dress code, therefore judged people by what they are wearing. So much for the be yourself ethos of rock.:rolleyes: I don't see how I can't enjoy metal in a polo shirt or how an earlier poster's friend couldn't in a white t-shirt and polished shoes.

The fox was a prentious central london pub, good riddens!

It's all boarded up now :(

intrepid-fox-01.jpg

Feature

When I get a moment I'll see if I can dig out any photos from inside the pub back in the day when I used to go drinking there with the Quireboys.

Next 'Lost London' feature: Gossips.

Please tell me there's no truth in the suggestion that the Fox's management are moving to the Angel on St Giles High St.

I really don't want seventeen year old goths spoiling my beer in one of the last un-baahified places in the West End :mad: ...

beer was crap, but I still loved the place.

Randomly I think my dad said he used deliver sandwiches there in the 60's.

....argh, i'm about two months too late (teach me for travelling too much).

I loved this place....was one of the first establishments i'd go to when i arrived in London.

:(

Back
Top Bottom