Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition (23 Aug)

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!

IMG_4649.jpeg

“On the night of 22 to 23 August 1791, in Saint Domingue, today the Republic of Haiti, saw the beginning of the uprising that would play a crucial role in the abolition of the transatlantic slave trade.

It is against this background that the International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition is commemorated on 23 August each year. It was first celebrated in a number of countries, in particular in Haiti (23 August 1998) and Gorée Island in Senegal (23 August 1999).

This International Day is intended to inscribe the tragedy of the slave trade in the memory of all peoples. In accordance with the goals of the intercultural project "The Routes of Enslaved Peoples", it should offer an opportunity for collective consideration of the historic causes, the methods and the consequences of this tragedy, and for an analysis of the interactions to which it has given rise between Africa, Europe, the Americas and the Caribbean.”

I'd also, in reference to the last line, include the interactions between Africa, the Middle East and South Asia. It started earlier and lasted longer (some would argue it's still going on in the Sahel) but wasn't as 'industrialised' as the Atlantic trade.

I won't forget Bagamoyo, the fort on the beach. The Cathedral built in the site of the Zanzibar slave market. The manacles in the museum. Some were traded with the Portuguese in the south headed for Brazil, but most ended up in the Gulf or India. Many more remained as de facto slaves for generations on the Zanzibar plantations, until the Brits left and the revolution happened.

Wtf. Probably need to go to bed now...

I cant seem to get the UNESCO website to work. The publications they have done on slavery seem unavailable.

Pre Gaza was reading on the Slave Trade.

Old classic like The Black Jacobins by CLR James and Capitalism and Slavery by Eric Williams are definitely worth reading.

I would recommend first an up to date general history like Slave Empire by Padraic X Scanlon on British Slave Trade. Its called Slave Empire.

Blood on the River I thought was the best book I've read on slavery

A forgotten major slave revolt. Pre dates Haiti. They almost pulled it off. Historian found a box of papers of the interrogation of the slaves after the revolt. And reconstructed the revolt from them.

Fascinating look at slavery and resistance.

It's also gripping read as at points it looks like this is going to be Haiti

Back
Top Bottom