Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Inside HMP Belmarsh

Why so sad? incarceration is the best form of remedy for these twats, if u cant handle the punishment, then think before doing a crime. Zero Tolerance is the way to go, not giving them sentences and then letting them out on good behaviour,
pipe-to-pipe bushman

Have you never made a mistake in your life? Many people in prison are there because they’ve never been shown the right way to live a life. Surely you must have some sympathy? Charlie and his brothers clearly never stood a chance of living a normal, decent life. They grew up in a house where crime and drugs are the norm. It’s all they know.
OK Agreed, but whose fault is that, also im sure they were / are not the only family around living as such. What is the state to do if these idiots do not want to be reformed?

Yep if you think people in prison are the lowest scum try it in there for being a nonce.

Last edited:
As in social care? What could you do there that would influence the prison population?

Well at the moment if you've been in the care system your more likely to go to prison then university, so a pretty major failing right there.

There's loads that's broken about the care system, I could go on for ages and certainly don't have all the answers.

Treat children kindly
Well at the moment if you've been in the care system your more likely to go to prison then university, so a pretty major failing right there.

There's loads that's broken about the care system, I could go on for ages and certainly don't have all the answers.

Define kind? As someone who worked in social care for years and visited many clients in prison, I struggle to see to link between something social services did/didn't do and the reason why they were in prison. I understand that the lack of stability (change in workers\care homes) may contribute, but thats the nature of the system which is unlikely to change. In my experience, those in care had more access to health/education opportunities that most others. The family home and the reason they were taken into care plays a much bigger part.

Define kind? As someone who worked in social care for years and visited many clients in prison, I struggle to see to link between something social services did/didn't do and the reason why they were in prison. I understand that the lack of stability (change in workers\care homes) may contribute, but thats the nature of the system which is unlikely to change. In my experience, those in care had more access to health/education opportunities that most others. The family home and the reason they were taken into care plays a much bigger part.

Maybe. I remember from some training just how much damage can be done before a child reaches one, but many young people are in the system a long time. I think it's shocking just how poorly equipped most care leavers are to go and deal with the real world at 16. I know technically they are in care till they are 18, but some of the "semi independence" type places I've seen are awful in terms of support. I'm not sure for many kids being dumped in a pupil referral unit or having a tutor for a couple hours is great. As you've identified the lack of stability is a big factor. Troublesome kids get moved from placement to placement, even before you count the number of foster placements that probably broke down before they got moved into residential. I'd also say staff are a big factor. There are some fantastic people working really hard in the care system, but for not much then minimum wage and it's not uncommon to get assaulted and deal with all sorts of nasty stuff. Most care is now in the hands of private companies who charge a huge amount per week and OFSTED is far from great. Honestly I remember having lunch with one the inspectors and a few of our more settled young people and they just came across as completely clueless, but provided the paperwork is good then boxes are ticked.

Treat children kindly

What do you mean by kind?

I've never seen any abuse in the system. I've seen plenty of staff giving kids what they want for an easy life. :(

Maybe. I remember from some training just how much damage can be done before a child reaches one, but many young people are in the system a long time. I think it's shocking just how poorly equipped most care leavers are to go and deal with the real world at 16. I know technically they are in care till they are 18, but some of the "semi independence" type places I've seen are awful in terms of support. I'm not sure for many kids being dumped in a pupil referral unit or having a tutor for a couple hours is great. As you've identified the lack of stability is a big factor. Troublesome kids get moved from placement to placement, even before you count the number of foster placements that probably broke down before they got moved into residential. I'd also say staff are a big factor. There are some fantastic people working really hard in the care system, but for not much then minimum wage and it's not uncommon to get assaulted and deal with all sorts of nasty stuff. Most care is now in the hands of private companies who charge a huge amount per week and OFSTED is far from great. Honestly I remember having lunch with one the inspectors and a few of our more settled young people and they just came across as completely clueless, but provided the paperwork is good then boxes are ticked.

My role within the local authority was preparing care leavers for the real world between ages 18-21 - in the last 3 years the upper limit has increased to 25, so all care leavers are eligible for support until that age. Previously, you only got support until that age if you were in education/training. I'm also aware that nowadays there is more flexibility for care leavers to stay with a foster carer up until 21 - obviously some positive changes are being made.

In my experience, the issues within semi independent were rarely to do with the support staff. It was inability to manage responsibility (mainly new financial ones) and/or issues sharing with others, who have more than likely got there own set of issues and upbringings. Coupled with the territorial issues of where people can/cannot live, it can really limit resources. Had the utmost respect for those working in the hostels, i could never of done it.

Some clients just preferred to be in prison and there was fuck all social services could have done to change that. It wasnt all doom and gloom...many success stories (including completing uni) made it worthwhile that unfortunately, the general public rarely hear about it.

Last edited:
I'd challenge some of that, principlely the system has failed, to allow that in the first place, but I'd be intrested in your experiences more. I do think this is worth of its own thread. I certainly don't have all the answers and although I no longer do it full time, I've still been pulling some 50 hours weeks recently over winter, at the front line as it were. I'm shattered tonight, but if you havnt by then I'll try and start one tomorrow. I might even be therapeutic for me. :)

Last edited:
I'd challenge some of that, principlely the system has failed to allow that in the first place, but I'd be intrested in your experiences more. I do think this is worth of its own thread. I certainly don't have all the answers and although I no longer do it full time, I've still been pulling some 50 hours weeks recently over winter, at the front line as it were. Im shattered tonight, but if you havnt by then I'll try and start one tomorrow. I might even be therapeutic for me. :)

Deal! I didn't wanna derail either...

Back
Top Bottom