Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Increased IT spending makes productivity worse, and here is why

David Clapson

The serious point is that if we'd have settled for the functionality we had at some point in the past (perhaps 2001 with Windows XP?), business productivity would be higher than it is now.
A tiny little element of this is surely my long-observed paradox that the faster the computers get, the more I seem to have to wait around for my computer. All the extra power gets swallowed up in fancier fluff rather than calculating the same stuff faster. I’m still waiting for the day that my spreadsheets can just instantly update rather than watching the thing say “40% calculated“

I suppose that this might be highlighting the problem with using “productivity” as a business metric. What companies are really interested in is return on equity. It seems likely that the identified drop in productivity from IT is more than made up for in capital efficiency, with the result that RoE goes up even as productivity goes down.

Our IT drives me up the wall. It's all designed to restrict what you do so you comply to how the idiot directors believe you work (or should work) rather than how the work is actually done. It's also designed so that you have to be accountable for what you do on it and you have to negotiate permissions. I've had screaming rows with head office about it, because they're forcing me to phone up people to press a button in order to confirm what I've done and this person happened to be stuck in traffic and in no mood to take phone calls. It's fundamentally designed with the understanding the employees are not to be trusted in the slightest and the type of work we do is like an orderly production line (it isn't, it's operations and it's inherently chaotic). It's also painfully slow just an horrific example of slap dash coding. When they introduced it they had to make a part time administrator full time to cope with the extra work load and we're now using the client's 20 year old system for most of the admin/commercial side of things. I've never seen an example of good business IT and I've worked in a dozen places, but this is the worst. And there's a whole organisation of head office yes men out there trying to enforce its use.

There's loads of good examples of business IT out there. In most dine-in places for example, as soon as your order is taken on a tablet it appears in the kitchen, which is much more efficient and reliable than people running about with scribbles on scraps of paper.

A lack of rigorous permissions control is arguably the number one reason for IT security breaches turning catastrophic. It’s no bad thing that a company is trying to deal with that.

There's loads of good examples of business IT out there. In most dine-in places for example, as soon as your order is taken on a tablet it appears in the kitchen, which is much more efficient and reliable than people running about with scribbles on scraps of paper.
Service industries are probably a good example of IT working well. The issue is with office based work. Where I used to work there were frequently updates to processes that tendered them unusable. Often a particular tool had taken most of its life cycle to get the glitches removed, and it's smooth operation was a trigger to replace it. The firm spent well over $100m rolling out a new finance system which, reasonably enough, was meant to replace 6 or 7 existing tools that covered sales, engagement cost, billing, etc. This was so catastrophically over budget that it became a desperate embarrassment and any mention of it was considered in very poor taste. More hilariously, it didn't really work for 6 months. No one could bill clients :D There was a period of time when it was impossible to process any rebates on large projects in the first few countries it was rolled out in, and partners in those countries had to pay out of their personal accounts.

When it finally did "work", the usability was just awful, and the functionality was greatly reduced from the previous tools. Sometimes just in little front end details, and sometimes, in significant back end processes. One example of this was that we used to upload a few thousand new company details every week - new clients, changed clients etc. This was no longer possible and the work around was to have a room full of people in India manually inputting this data through the front end. A situation that went on for years... Probably still going.

Our IT drives me up the wall. It's all designed to restrict what you do so you comply to how the idiot directors believe you work (or should work) rather than how the work is actually done. It's also designed so that you have to be accountable for what you do on it and you have to negotiate permissions. I've had screaming rows with head office about it, because they're forcing me to phone up people to press a button in order to confirm what I've done and this person happened to be stuck in traffic and in no mood to take phone calls. It's fundamentally designed with the understanding the employees are not to be trusted in the slightest and the type of work we do is like an orderly production line (it isn't, it's operations and it's inherently chaotic). It's also painfully slow just an horrific example of slap dash coding. When they introduced it they had to make a part time administrator full time to cope with the extra work load and we're now using the client's 20 year old system for most of the admin/commercial side of things. I've never seen an example of good business IT and I've worked in a dozen places, but this is the worst. And there's a whole organisation of head office yes men out there trying to enforce its use.

Only laughing at the scream..
Not the frustration.
Been there.

I've a work laptop here as I am working from home.
It takes 30 mins to start and shuts down every 20 mins for an hour after that.

Initially I was frustrated and pissed off because it could shut down mid my work.

Now I get up and turn it on..go have my breakfast and by the time Im back its fully on.

I then spend 20 mins checking and responding to emails.

It shuts down. I refill my coffee as it starts up. Then I start collecting material etc and saving it.
It shuts down and I go do some stretches. It starts up and I start working on projects.

If it shuts down again I get another coffee or walk around the garden or do a small household job.

It's an old laptop. But once it settles in to work it poots along grand.

Nah, IT is a tool and it’s fine when it’s used well. The management meeting and never ending growth of middle management and admin work is a likely cause of any it related woes - I’m in a very archaic organisation so it’s very much an extreme example of this but there are dozens of processes that could be made more efficient if the management were able to actually use a computer without being spoon fed it and actually wanted to improve (if it takes more than two clicks it’s shocking how many educated people just flail and panic) or if they had any actual knowledge of what the systems could do they’d be able to streamline processes.

Instead IT is left to firefight and we never take full advantage of the tools available, flitting from one high value project to the next instead of building from ground up

I seldom freelance for corporations, but I do remember spending a few days at the office of one (I worked using my own laptop) and I could see for myself how their intranet, network and security was slowing down their productivity, massively. I do things how I want as a freelancer, usually use dropbox and icloud photo albums for sharing and discussing work because its quick, but when you work with a corporation, you can’t. Most recently I worked for a big entertainment corp and I had to log into their network to do anything. Even to ask a question. Wasn’t permitted to use my own email address, they gave me an email address. Meaning I’d have to fuck about logging into their intranet in order to ask a question. Passwords kept changing, It was slow and confusing. When I was an employee, we were slowed down by having to save our work to the main server. We were in Baker St, the server in Gloucester Place. An adobe illustrator file would take at least half an hour to save.

This isn’t bad IT though - this is bad management.

They are codifying bad processes

The serious point is that if we'd have settled for the functionality we had at some point in the past (perhaps 2001 with Windows XP?), business productivity’s
would be higher than it is now.

This would only work if the entire world stood still - you couldn’t have smartphones ( as regular webpages wouldn’t work and apps need apis ), no video conferencing, no ip telephony. So it doesn’t work.

I sI do things how I want as a freelancer, usually use dropbox and icloud photo albums for sharing and discussing work because its quick, but when you work with a corporation, you can’t.
Damn right, you can’t. We get about 300,000 cyberattacks per day on our systems. You can’t deal with that level of systematic attack without incredibly secure architecture. That doesn’t include people pissing about with whatever doors-wide-open shitware they like because it’s “faster”!
Most recently I worked for a big entertainment corp and I had to log into their network to do anything. Even to ask a question. Wasn’t permitted to use my own email address, they gave me an email address. Meaning I’d have to fuck about logging into their intranet in order to ask a question. Passwords kept changing, It was slow and confusing.
By contrast, this mostly isn’t inherent to good security, it’s just poor ways of dealing with problems. The exception being the email thing — webmail needs banning in work protected networks. It’s like having a welcome mat for hackers.
When I was an employee, we were slowed down by having to save our work to the main server. We were in Baker St, the server in Gloucester Place. An adobe illustrator file would take at least half an hour to save.
Yes, companies need to have secure backups and they need to protect their data in secure environments. That means not allowing people to stick their stuff onto any thumb drive they happen to have lying about

I seldom freelance for corporations, but I do remember spending a few days at the office of one (I worked using my own laptop) and I could see for myself how their intranet, network and security was slowing down their productivity, massively. I do things how I want as a freelancer, but when you work with a corporation, you can’t. Most recently I worked for a big entertainment corp and I had to log into their network to do anything. Even to ask a question. Wasn’t permitted to use my own email address, they gave me an email address. Meaning I’d have to fuck about logging into their intranet in order to ask a question. Passwords kept changing, It was slow and confusing. When I was an employee, we were slowed down by having to save our work to the main server. We were in Baker St, the server in Gloucester Place. An adobe illustrator file would take at least half an hour to save.
Damn right, you can’t. We get about 300,000 cyberattacks per day on our systems. You can’t deal with that level of systematic attack without incredibly secure architecture. That doesn’t include people pissing about with whatever doors-wide-open shitware they like because it’s “faster”!

By contrast, this mostly isn’t inherent to good security, it’s just poor ways of dealing with problems. The exception being the email thing — webmail needs banning in work protected networks. It’s like having a welcome mat for hackers.

Yes, companies need to have secure backups and they need to protect their data in secure environments. That means not allowing people to stick their stuff onto any thumb drive they happen to have lying about
yep, I do understand the why of it all, doesn’t make it any less infuriating, especially when you’ve not had to deal with it, It does slow productivity though, that was my point. And I also understand the email thing, the last thing they need is a freelancer leaking details of a new movie, it’s less likely to happen if you force everyone to use your email system on your intranet. Still infuriating to use though and complicated, someone I worked with on the same project literally gave up, it was beyond him.

This isn’t bad IT though - this is bad management.

They are codifying bad processes

They're also codifying the bad processes badly, it's slow and jumpy, it takes a second or two to multiply a number by 1.1 (slower than me). So 70%/30% blame. And of course they charge £100,000's for any fixes or "upgrades". The robber barons. But I blame management for hiring these jokers. So yes really 100% bad management.

I've a work laptop here as I am working from home.
It takes 30 mins to start and shuts down every 20 mins for an hour after that.

Initially I was frustrated and pissed off because it could shut down mid my work.

Now I get up and turn it on..go have my breakfast and by the time Im back its fully on.

I then spend 20 mins checking and responding to emails.

It shuts down. I refill my coffee as it starts up. Then I start collecting material etc and saving it.
It shuts down and I go do some stretches. It starts up and I start working on projects.

If it shuts down again I get another coffee or walk around the garden or do a small household job.

It's an old laptop. But once it settles in to work it poots along grand.
That's shocking, you should get your IT to check why, whatever is causing it to shut down will be in the event logs. That would drive me mad.

That's shocking, you should get your IT to check why, whatever is causing it to shut down will be in the event logs. That would drive me mad.

Unfortunately I am wfh for health reasons. And I don't want anyone coming into the house form my workplace...its currently a hotbed of covid.
I'll put in for a new laptop if I am still wfh next year.

Back
Top Bottom