Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

In The Flesh BBC3

I watched the first one last night and thought it was excellent. Some really good twists on the theme. Having it after the zombie event is very clever. Also the little touches, like fencing everywhere, and the way the family straightaway pick up their weapons and take up their usual posts. Hints of the usual zombie apocalypse that has been and gone.

I'm enjoying it so far. I like that it has a completely ordinary and PC name :D Some of the characters are utterly unlikeable, but I suppose that's the point. Some are stupid to the point of somewhat lazy caricature too, imo, but again, perhaps that's the point. The main character is so totally emo, but I guess if you'd just come back to partial-life after having killed yourself you wouldn't be feeling the best, nevermind having to deal with being a zombie.

Interesting now we're starting to find out the reasons that he killed himself. I want to punch the soldier dude in the face. His new friend Amy is insane.

And I like the nurse the best.

Caught a bit of the second one last night so watched them both on I player today. Very good.laughed out loud a couple of times. Very promising.

There are some real comedy moments, in the middle of it being quite dark. Mainly the woman's face on the 'Understanding Partially Deceased Syndrome' leaflet. :D

See two episodes and enjoyed it, like that actor who plays the head of the HVF and always pleased when he gets bigger roles. Does seem like they round up every even vaguely northern actor for these things so you get a supposedly insular community with a right mix of accents :D Maybe there was a big steel mill back in the day like Corby.

yeah, it's a good take.
very well done...this has re-ignited my interest with British TV - such an improvement (I'm still morally wounded with shitty Black Mirror).

I watched all of it last night and thought it was pretty good if not great. Somehow this had to become another story about bigotry which played out rather predictably, with a throughly hissable villain. The story between Kieren and Rick, which I presume was supposed to be a love story, was a subplot which was handled so ambiguously it felt like the series itself was shy of coming out of the closet about it. Otherwise it was well made, involving and nicely shot, but not as good as the similar Les Revenants/Rebound.

Is this a one off mini-series or will there be more ?

Slightly disappointed with the predictably schmaltzy ending. A cop out. The aids/ gay/ foreigner/ different other bigotry theme seemed to miss out the inconvenient eat your brains issue. The rotters are a risk not an unreasonable bigotry.
I do hope there are more, but without the spoonfed liberalism.

I liked the ending in that
he doesn't kill himself again and that he realises that he did harm to more than himself.
That was the story and I thought that was dealt with well, had a fair point to make, so not sure why that would be a cop-out. In the Flesh was inspired by the high rate of suicides among gay teenagers, especially in rural and isolated areas. I just didn't like how the bigotry and prejudice was handled with a sledgehammer when it comes to its villain Steve, who might as well have been twirling his moustache.

That part isn't a cop, but the plot threads left hanging, such as the interweb presence, the rotters in the woods, blue oblivion, were all begging more attention.
Perhaps less is more.

That part isn't a cop, but the plot threads left hanging, such as the interweb presence, the rotters in the woods, blue oblivion, were all begging more attention.
Perhaps less is more.
I suspect they are angling for a second season and the writer has suggested as much. It has concluded its main story line, so maybe we next get to follow Amy, who I think was the best character, to the undead radical group.

I got through the first episode, albeit with a little bit of clock watching, I'm trying to pluck-up the stamina needed for the remaining two but fearful of it becoming too 'worthy'.

I suspect they are angling for a second season and the writer has suggested as much. It has concluded its main story line, so maybe we next get to follow Amy, who I think was the best character, to the undead radical group.
This would be good, although it would take the action out of the claustrophobia of Roarden, and give us a vision of post apocalypse Rochdale.

Started this last night, thanks to the hype, a recommendation from a good friend and it being on you tube.:p

Liking it, but the metaphors and desire to twist conventions is heavy-handed. Heard it gets better with every series, though.

How do people feel it compares to The Walking Dead and The Returned (both of which I won't hear a word against :D)?

First series of this was good, the second was brilliant. Don't know why this hasn't received more attention on here. All very political and shows Britain slipping into a fascistic way of thinking in a very convincing manner. Undead Liberation Army were an interesting bunch and their appeal was made vivid despite the undertones of terrorism and disturbing mumbo jumbo. Kieran also comes into his own in the second series. Less moping about. Several central characters flip flop too easily, though. All sorts of implicit commentary about contemporary British politics and islamophobia and homophobia. Last episode is bit anticlimactic but then so much is built up and up throughout the series. Barely about flesh eating zombies at all that's more a plot device for the real story which is about small town extreme politics, so it's not really comparable to other zombie series (edit: might be comparable to The Returned which I haven't seen).

Last edited:
One thing I really liked about this was how both Victus and the ULA talk sense but arrive at unreasonable conclusions. Its an astute commentary about how politics actually works but brought to boiling point by extreme and fantastical circumstances. For the most part this felt very real. Do watch it.

Back
Top Bottom