Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ian Lavender (Pike from Dad's Army) RIP

424667381_722941683366615_3313394941840460549_n.jpg

Ironically, my sister who lives in the south of Germany messaged me yesterday to say she had heard the news about Ian Lavender over there :D
In Dusseldorf once I met a security guard who told me he'd grown up on the Dutch-German border, and had learned English by watching Dad's Army on the Dutch telly - it was his favourite tellybox thing, he said.

I was saying to Mrs. Idris that it's remarkable that Dad's Army was so good for long (I don't think I've ever seen a dud episode) given that this is a product of the same industry that gave the world "On the Buses".

In Dusseldorf once I met a security guard who told me he'd grown up on the Dutch-German border, and had learned English by watching Dad's Army on the Dutch telly - it was his favourite tellybox thing, he said.

I was saying to Mrs. Idris that it's remarkable that Dad's Army was so good for long (I don't think I've ever seen a dud episode) given that this is a product of the same industry that gave the world "On the Buses".
Even Perry and Croft didn’t manage to produce another of the same quality. It’s the character acting that obviously provides so much of the success.

Aye. A lot of what Lowe/Mainwaring does is just reaction shots - but with it's not just reaction shots.
There’s a lovely line in the last ever episode where Mainwaring is discussing his wife with Wilson.

Mainwaring - “She led a very sheltered life, you know, Elizabeth…you know she hadn't even tried
tomato sauce before she met me?

I soon put that right.”

Wilson - “Marrying you must have opened up a whole new world for her!”

It’s very funny in their hands.

Back
Top Bottom