Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"I was disturbed to see one of your pictures...."

I might be ashamed and be upset that my house was being made an example of.
But, as has been said, your sense of personal shame doesn't hold sway over the legal right to document what you want to, with due respect to privacy laws. It's an important right too - not one to be taken lightly.
But this is a neighbour we're talking about, not the owenr.
I'd prefer it if we just assume that the owner complained. It'll make for a much bigger and better bunfight.

But, as has been said, your sense of personal shame doesn't hold sway over the legal right to document what you want to, with due respect to privacy laws. It's an important right too - not one to be taken lightly.

I'd prefer it if we just assume that the owner complained. It'll make for a much bigger and better bunfight.

Possibly it is the owner and he was too embarrassed to admit it!

For the record, where I live has been shown on TV and photographed in the press several times, and always described in derogatory terms. Couldn't give a fuck.

For the record, where I live has been shown on TV and photographed in the press several times, and always described in derogatory terms. Couldn't give a fuck.

Not everyone is gritty and urban like you though, are they? Some people don't like pictures of their street looking shitty up for them arty Metroolitan snots on the internet to see and judge. They get upset and confused about why this should be allowed. I can se their point, as I am a reasonable person what can play devils advocate when I chose to.

Not everyone is gritty and urban like you though, are they? Some people don't like pictures of their street looking shitty up for them arty Metroolitan snots on the internet to see and judge. They get upset and confused about why this should be allowed. I can se their point, as I am a reasonable person what can play devils advocate when I chose to.
Have you actually bothered to look at the rest of the photos in the series?

I'm getting 'run-down and ripe for redevelopment by an enterprising property tycoon'.

Am I in the right ballpark?
ok, maybe not. I've seen the rest of them now. Nice, and I can understand your objections. The broken window makes for a pleasing contrast to the serenity of most of the other shots.

I think you've got issues.

I'm playing devils advocate because I can imagine how someone might feel in the neighbours position. They felt strongly enough to email you and as I said 'Fuck you, I can do what I want' doesn't demonstrate much feeling for this particular fellow man, does it?

it's a quite ridiculous request to make in the context of that set of photos, imo. the language is quite ott, 'disturbed' ffs, its a picture of a broken window is all, next to a street sign.

seeing as how they are asking why the photo was included, you could turn it around and ask them exactly what it is about the shot that disturbs them and what interest it is of theirs (as well as reminding them that neighbours has an apostrophe before the 's' - if they're this pedantic, it's worth throwing some back i reckon.)

I'm playing devils advocate because I can imagine how someone might feel in the neighbours position. They felt strongly enough to email you and as I said 'Fuck you, I can do what I want' doesn't demonstrate much feeling for this particular fellow man, does it?
To be honest, I can't ever imagine ever getting worked up enough about one photo of my neighbours house in an overwhelmingly positive feature on my town.

She was the one barking the law at me. I politely told her the facts.

it's a quite ridiculous request to make in the context of that set of photos, imo. the language is quite ott, 'disturbed' ffs, its a picture of a broken window is all, next to a street sign.

seeing as how they are asking why the photo was included, you could turn it around and ask them exactly what it is about the shot that disturbs them and what interest it is of theirs (as well as reminding them that neighbours has an apostrophe before the 's' - if they're this pedantic, it's worth throwing some back i reckon.)
Here's my exact response:

Hi

I'm a photographer. I take pictures of what I see.

I do not need 'permission' to take photographs of buildings. What is
your objection to the photo? It hasn't been altered or tampered with
in any way.

Look at the series of photos and see if you can work it out.

No, I need you to do it!

For all I know it could just be that you hate people who litter the street with plants, with their embourgeiosing attitudes. Kuntz!!

No, I need you to do it!

For all I know it could just be that you hate people who litter the street with plants, with their embourgeiosing attitudes. Kuntz!!
Tell you what: next time you buy a CD, I'll see if I can arrange for the band to pop around to your house and explain each track as it comes up.

:D

Is the idea?

..HB can look a bit grim, but it needn't

People think of grim when they think of HB, but that's not the whole story

A quick trip to the local garden centre could transform HB. Please stick £25 in the bucket

times is tough but the spirit of the place survives

er...

Why don't you say?...

So you're an artist now? :p
I am indeed. I were a beret and smoke Gauloises cigarettes. Love to chat, but I have to go out now and do some sketches on the Left Bank before retiring to my garret with a case of red wine.

*holds out upward pointing thumb at arms length and squints through one eye

If you were taking photos only of the rundown places in Hebden Bridge, and putting them all together in a package to show how awful Hebden Bridge is, then there'd be grounds for complaint. Perhaps not legal grounds, but you could understand them getting narked.

In the context of the whole set of photos, it's clearly just there to show that not every single part of Hebden Bridge is well-kept. It's so that you're not photographing through rose-tinted lenses, so to speak, as if you were working for the tourist board.

Perhaps, if the person replies, you could politely direct them to view the rest of the photos.

I am indeed. I were a beret and smoke Gauloises cigarettes. Love to chat, but I have to go out now and do some sketches on the Left Bank before retiring to my garret with a case of red wine.

*holds out upward pointing thumb at arms length

What a coincidence, I was once a Panama hat! Your dialect seems to have been infected by the Northerners of Hebden, though.

Back
Top Bottom