Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hybrid bike recommendations

danski

"vibey"
Hello. Excuse the repeat but the most recent threads are nearly 10 years old so nothing recommended is still available.

Looking to spend absolute max £500, ideally less and wouldn’t be bothered getting second hand if it means a better bike for cheaper.

Mainly use on roads but with some woodland and riverside paths.

I’m 6’2 but don’t really have a clue about frame sizes and would want mudguards. Either coming with or the ability for me to retro fit.

Is it wise to buy something online without trying? I assume they need to be assembled on arrival. How does that work regarding returns, or, once ridden, there’s no return?!

Would be most grateful for any pointers <3

it’d be a 58” or 60” frame. you should probably try before you buy though. no idea about which kinds though, looking for a new bike myself.
eta: actually i do have an idea. you might want to go for a wider tyre if you’re going off road a bit - the bike that got nicked a couple of days ago was an adventure road bike - mine was an Norco. it’s great for road and for off road - it copes well with cobbled towpaths and such

it’d be a 58” or 60” frame. you should probably try before you buy though. no idea about which kinds though, looking for a new bike myself.
eta: actually i do have an idea. you might want to go for a wider tyre if you’re going off road a bit - the bike that got nicked a couple of days ago was an adventure road bike - mine was an Norco. it’s great for road and for off road - it copes well with cobbled towpaths and such
Hybrids are sold in inches or S-M-L type sizing. danski you're looking for a 23" or XL frame. Ridgeback make several dependable decent hybrid bikes around that price point.

Blimey, is it still like that then?
yeah, i've been looking online and it there's not much choice unless you either want a very very expensive one (3-7 grand) or an electric. The electric is tempting me but I fear it would not help my weight control, which is one of the main reasons I ride a bike

You could get a job 50% further away from where you live than your current one and it would work out.
aye, I was thinking of going a longer route anyway, one with some climbs that are long and steady rather than steep and scary. Still resolved never to pedal unseated

I had my first ride on my new bike today. It’s so smooth. Although it’s been decades since I rode regularly I picked it up quick.
I’m hoping to avoid covid via this cycle plus get fit and get about quick. 6BA99915-E944-4937-BBF4-EB15E7DA3584.jpeg

What size is the frame? Your saddle's as high as mine.
It’s XXL I think a 23 inch frame and 700c wheels. BTW 700c? What alien measure is this?

I have a 36 inch inside leg so it needs to be big.

Where o where can I get an extra large helmet? I have a very big head. (Boomtish).

It’s XXL I think a 23 inch frame and 700c wheels. BTW 700c? What alien measure is this?

I have a 36 inch inside leg so it needs to be big.

Where o where can I get an extra large helmet? I have a very big head. (Boomtish).
Specialized make their Align in an XL.

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of bicycle tyre sizes. Grab a coffee, it'll take a while...

Ta. I’m going to read it in the morning, with my coffee.

TopCat Only in black, the other colours are mostly in stock in that size. £45 is pretty budget for a cycling helmet. They make a cheaper version of it without the MIPS cradle (protects your brain from rotational forces in the event of an impact) but I wouldn't.

Yeah it’s been nearly three decades since I cycled a lot. All the paths and Infrastrucure. It’s great.

Back
Top Bottom