Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

HTC unveils its new Android flagship, the HTC One

I reckon there's going to be more than one Nexus next time, so should be worth holding out for. Motorola's new phone looks decent, and you'd expect them to produce at least one of the new Nexii, so it could be similar to that :cool:

HTC do make some nice kit. My One X is very swish, if only the battery wasn't so parsimonious. I think their future will be dominated by trying to compete with Samsung, at least in the Android arena. I do wish they'd stop fannying around with "beats audio". Who gives a toss? I've had my HTC phone for 8 months now and I still don't really know what "beats audio" is, or really care for that matter. Daft supposed selling point, imho.

One area where HTC is inexplicably crap on is their own website. First time I'd ever owned a smartphone, my current HTC, I thought "now I can surf on my phone, what site shall I try out?", so I tried HTC's own site. What kind of mobile manufacturer can't be arsed to make their own website work well on a frigging mobile??!?! :rolleyes:

Unless they lose the plastic and make the case metal I'm not interested.

I know it's meant to be as strong etc but plastic bodies just feel cheap and nasty to me. Every HTC I've owned has felt like I could hammer nails in with it.
My S2 has proved to be a very tough phone indeed.

It's got learning IR too so you can use it to control your home cinema, and it comes with a matching app. Neat. Very neat. Great to see HTC jumping out of the megapixel war and going for a higher quality sensor too.

htc-one-black-photos-preview-1.jpg

I'm getting tempted here now....

Hands on review here: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/49907/htc-one-pictures-preview-first-impressions

It looks lovely :cool:

I am still a bit miffed with HTC after buying the HTC Desire HD and then the software not being updated :mad:

Also I am TRYING to avoid getting into another (24/18/12 month) contract. This looks like a phone that will cost £400+ to buy SIM free. With a Nexus 4 costing £279 for the 16GB (pretty much all I need) the saving would pay for nearly a year of calls/texts/data.

I've never liked the sense interface, if they had an option to be able to use the phone with stock Android myself and I suspect a lot more people would be more interested. They are also still too slow in pushing out the Android updates because they have to integrate it with sense.

I had a Desire, now I have a Galaxy S. I miss the Desire's interface, it looked much better IMO.

IMO, the S2 was a high point for Samsung. The stuff since then hasn't been quite as nice.
So why do you think the S3 is not as nice as the S2?

However the expected S4 is going to have to be really special to beat the HTC One. That should bring back HTC to the forefront of the smartphone market.

Here's your MWC review: booooooooriiiiiiiiiing.

The One has nice build quality but nothing struck me as amazing about the software. In fact some bits like the app launch page just looked a bit bad.

The One has nice build quality but nothing struck me as amazing about the software. In fact some bits like the app launch page just looked a bit bad.
Yeah, but you can change all that with Android. I think it's one of the nicest looking phones I've seen in a while.

Things I'm hoping for out of an S4:

A smaller brother (the main reason I bought HTC - the One S was more my size)
Rid of hardware buttons (how noughties!)
Moving the bloody back key to the left side where it belongs!
Deprecation of the menu key (HTC did well there - by default it's a task switcher button as Google sets in their standard. It controls menu and task switcher with an option to decide which one is short or long press)

It'll be interesting to see if the Goog can pressure them into no SD slot and integrated battery. I don't miss either, but some people need the option.

I strongly disagree with everything above except the size. Hardware buttons feel much better, the menu button serves a valuable purpose, the back button was always there on 2.x (see also: fuck how they have swapped OK and Cancel) and overall I'm very glad Samsung bucked the trend - can't get along with the Nexus 4 for these reasons.

Back
Top Bottom