Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How realistic are these London train transfer times?

AnnO'Neemus

Is so vanilla
Please help! Which is the best option? Are either of them remotely doable? I'll be travelling on Sunday, 23 April - which I've *just this minute * discovered is on the same day as the London marathon.

Option 1) via Tottenham Hale

13:55h Arrive London Euston train station

14:10h catch Euston underground to Tottenham Hale

- Isn't it a bit optimistic only allowing 15 minutes for that? The Manchester trains often arrive on one of the far platforms at Euston, so I think it's pushing it, especially as I'll have a wheelie suitcase with me. Or am I being too pessimistic?

14:39 Arrive Tottenham Hale

14:52 catch train to Stansted airport

- again that leaves 13 minutes to change platforms. I've never been to Tottenham Hale, so I don't know how many platforms it has or if that's reasonable or optimistic? I'm guessing that's more doable?

Alternatively, option 2) via Liverpool Street

14:12h Euston underground to Liverpool Street

- allows a generous two more minutes for transfer, 17 minutes in all

14:25h Arrive Liverpool Street

- allows 15 minutes to transfer, and it's a big station

14:40h Liverpool Street to Stansted

I was thinking it wouldn't be busy in the city on a Sunday, but it's London marathon, is that likely to impact my journey?

i've checked TFL's website and there isn't engineering work on any underground lines you'd use (i think they tend to try and lay off the engineering works for london marathon day)

euston and liverpool street aren't all that close to the finish of the marathon, so shouldn't be too much of an issue but there will be more people in central london that day than usual.

both sound a bit too tight for comfort, to be honest, especially if anything goes wrong and you're late in to euston or anything.

i've never changed trains at tottenham hale, but you'd be going from underground bit downstairs to national rail bit upstairs, not just crossing platforms. someone did a thread about travel to or from stanstead a few weeks back but i can't remember who.

and euston to liverpool street isn't a direct underground journey - would either mean changing somewhere (either kings cross or moorgate, and both involve a bit of a trek underground), or walk round to euston square circle line station (it's not that far, maybe 5 minutes' walk or so, but not sure of the walking route - don't think i've been to euston station since they started buggering about for HS2)

AnnO'Neemus, I'd definitely go for option 1. But yeah, the change onto the tube at Euston looks a bit too tight. Again, pretty tight to change at TH but the station is small (think there are only three platforms) so that should be just about doable.

Euston and LP St stations are always busy tbh but at least neither Arsenal or Tottenham is playing at home that day.

Please help! Which is the best option? Are either of them remotely doable? I'll be travelling on Sunday, 23 April - which I've *just this minute * discovered is on the same day as the London marathon.

- Isn't it a bit optimistic only allowing 15 minutes for that? The Manchester trains often arrive on one of the far platforms at Euston, so I think it's pushing it, especially as I'll have a wheelie suitcase with me. Or am I being too pessimistic?

- again that leaves 13 minutes to change platforms. I've never been to Tottenham Hale, so I don't know how many platforms it has or if that's reasonable or optimistic? I'm guessing that's more doable?

I was thinking it wouldn't be busy in the city on a Sunday, but it's London marathon, is that likely to impact my journey?

The transfers look do-able assuming the trains are on time, but there's always the possibility they won't be.

In your situation, I'd be asking myself these questions

How crucial is it that you catch that particular train to Stansted?

If you miss that one, what time is the next one, and how much time does that give you at Stansted?

And depending on the answers to the previous questions, can you get a train which gets you to Euston earlier that 13.55?

Opt 1, going to LS will be slow and involve a lot more walking. Victoria line is the fastest underground line. Make sure you prebook Stansted ticket so you can walk straight onto platform at TH.

You have nearly an hour with the first option. It should take 22 minutes to get from Euston to Tottenham Hale. Obviously, if your train to Euston was seriously late, that might make it tight or impossible.

Either of those would probably be ok, but if you’re worried about missing a flight from Stansted, why not get into Euston earlier?

Used to live in Tottenham. The station is quite small, 3 platforms, but only 2 are used mostly, it has just been modernised making it easier to use and the transfer time is ok (could do it in 5 mins tbh) and there are regular Stanstead trains. I would prefer to change there over Euston which is massive.

Tottenham Hale is a relatively small station (maybe just the 2 plaforms?) so changing there is fine - one of your options involves getting a tube from Euston to Liverpool Street - there isn't a direct tube - you can either walk to Euston Square - maybe 8 mins walk - or get a Northern Line (bank branch) to Moorgate from Euston - Moorgate is linked to Liverpool Street station, just follow the signs for the Elizabeth Line station and you'll get to Liverpool St Rail Station - about 8 mins walk. Best option would be getting the Victoria Line from Euston to Tottenham Hale.

I posted the link in #12 in my #7, all worked out nicely with the appropriate time and date.

These transfer times both look fine even if your train is a couple of minutes late, and it's a lot less faff to cut out Liverpool Street. Probably a little cheaper as well, but not by much - the Stansted 'Express' (yeah right) is a bit of a rip off.

Whatever you choose, my advice would be to have a look at the next train to Stansted after the one you're planning on catching as well. If you think you'd still be ok with that one, it takes the pressure off in case there are delays.

ETA: Should really read the thread. :D Advice above all covers this really. Wot andysays said.

Back
Top Bottom