Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How long are passports taking to get issued..?

Sweet FA

✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪
My (bellend) bro-in-law has booked to go to Spain with my niece at Easter & she's also going on holiday with her mates after exams - about 8 weeks later...her passport runs out in June. To complicate things, it's her first adult passport which (apparently) you can't go to the passport office to get.

Anyone had a passport issued recently - is it worth risking 8 weeks? Passport office are saying allow 10 weeks...

Bahnhof Strasse?

Couple of months ago I applied online with my own photo.
The website warned of a 10 week wait, I didn't have any choice but to go ahead.

Each step took only a few days and in about 3 - 4 weeks I had my new passport.

Replacement passports are taking ~4 weeks. First adult passport doesn't mean anything, so long as you've had a previous passport. A first passport may take longer. If you can show firm travel plans there is a way of fast tracking it, call them and beg as they don't give them out willy-nilly.

We have similar, BB2's runs out 3 months and 2 weeks after we get back from the EU at Easter, but need to go away again in July, so will need to be quick.

I’m super current with this. Going away in feb and convinced two mates to come. Neither has an in-date passport

Mate 1 submitted passport renewal on 1st Jan and got notification yesterday that passport is in the post for return (8 days flash to bang)

Other mate sent off on 2nd jan and not heard anything back

Fuck me sideways! Posted my renewal off on Friday afternoon. Monday morning at 9am got an email saying it's been received, 0920 Wednesday the new passport arrives at my house. Some kind of record, surely?

It's a good time of year to do it I reckon. Well away from summer holidays and post/pre? school-ski trip season.

Yeah, it is a quiet time of year for it.

My old passport expires mid-November, but was issued mid-June. This kind of thing will catch people out, you need 3 months on it to enter the EU, so folk may think it would be valid until mid-August, but mine would stop being valid to enter the EU from mid-March.

I got a new passport last year, early summer. It was an online reissue and my appearance hadn’t changed. Took less than two weeks.

(Trouble is, it was man frog blue rather than proper passport burgundy. )

I actually don't mind the new look passports - if they weren't so wedded to this dumb ideology about them being some sort of Brexit win, then I'd be all over it.

The irony of course that burgundy passports aren't even a mandatory requirement of EU membership - e.g. see Croatia. And in fact the blue passports have more to do with mandates from the League Of Nations in the 1920s (a multi-nation/foreign authority!) than any kind of British initiative. Take that brexit knobbers.

I actually don't mind the new look passports - if they weren't so wedded to this dumb ideology about them being some sort of Brexit win, then I'd be all over it.

The irony of course that burgundy passports aren't even a mandatory requirement of EU membership - e.g. see Croatia. And in fact the blue passports have more to do with mandates from the League Of Nations in the 1920s (a multi-nation/foreign authority!) than any kind of British initiative. Take that brexit knobbers.

And the old British passports, of which I had one, were actually black and had proper stiff cardboard leatherette covers. If we had gone back to them it would have been slightly less pathetic.

I’m super current with this. Going away in feb and convinced two mates to come. Neither has an in-date passport

Mate 1 submitted passport renewal on 1st Jan and got notification yesterday that passport is in the post for return (8 days flash to bang)

Other mate sent off on 2nd jan and not heard anything back
Update

2 seperate passports both applied for 1-2nd jan back in the post already

Unheard of government department efficiency

One thing to note, the Passport Office still doesn't properly understand the regulations; to enter the Schengen Zone your passport must be under 10 years old. My new one is 9th January 2024 to 9th January 2034, 10 years and 1 day. Of course it's nothing, but would be nice if they could show a basic understanding of how these things should work...

Back
Top Bottom