Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How is there no ted lasso thread?

newme

Giant in Pastyland now
I know them dumping the whole season in one day means there's less speculative stuff but if someone can direct me to more of the same style I won't be replaying the whole lot again when it finishes in about an hour. It was like watching Russel Howard's good news when it was good versus watching the news. People actually acknowledged as human beings and being positive about it instead of nonsensical drama. So many themes explored like a normal person did it. Not someone trying to make something controversial.

Also fuck off apple I downloaded it.

I lasted about 3 episodes of the first season because on paper it should have been good. But no, it was dire. Maybe it appeals to non-football fans, no idea.

I lasted about 3 episodes of the first season because on paper it should have been good. But no, it was dire. Maybe it appeals to non-football fans, no idea.
I would say that it's definitely not pitched at football fans. In fact, it's designed for an American audience.

It was alright. I don't regret watching S01, but at the same time couldn't be bothered to get S02.

I really liked it. Makes a change to have a programme about nice people doing nice things for each other. Complete fantasy of course , but then almost all TV drama is complete fantasy*. I really enjoyed it and thought it got better as it went on.

The story lines were good, most of what happened was character driven, almost all of the comedy bits were funny, some really funny. Also great to look at because almost all of the locations and actors were attractive and the whole thing nicely shot.

Just so sad that for many people 'drama' has come to mean violence, hatred and death.
It was very nice TV.

(*And a huge percentage complete fantasy about people murdering and raping other people in ways that are miles from the horrors of real murders and real rapes and also complete fantasy in how those crimes are detected)

Well it’s not really about football tbf. Or more specifically, football is the backdrop rather than the focus. Fundamentally it’s a typical fish out of water set up.

I generally found it enjoyable but the third season increasingly got the balance between funny and saccharine wrong, and I may have made some vomit noises at the TV at times :oops:

Well I like it. Its not perfect. It's not Succession. But it's sweet and entertaining. It's got some dreadful, dreadful acting. I mean truly awful. But it's got a lot of funny dialogue and fun storylines and its a nice bit of escapism.

And Hannah Wadingham looks ASTONISHING in every....single....scene. And that's worth the entry price alone.

It’s a brilliant comedy show. Arguably its reception was greatly aided by the fact the first season came out during one of the most depressing and unprecedented conditions the entire world had seen in decades. But even though I’m massively sceptical on principle about feel-good comedies, this show managed against all my expectations to do it right.

Some episodes are better than others, but on the whole I loved it. I don’t think this season was terrible at all, though the overall story arc wasn’t always served. But I don’t think the second season was much better.

Overall a great light relief comedy show, with plenty of genuine laugh out moments and memorable characters.

Last edited:
Well I like it. Its not perfect. It's not Succession. But it's sweet and entertaining. It's got some dreadful, dreadful acting. I mean truly awful. But it's got a lot of funny dialogue and fun storylines and its a nice bit of escapism.

And Hannah Wadingham looks ASTONISHING in every....single....scene. And that's worth the entry price alone.
Wadingham is stunning as are all her costumes and Juno Temple also. But even as a hetro chap I could appreciate almost all of the male casts' looks and costumes.

It’s a brilliant comedy show. Arguably its reception was greatly added by the fact the first season came out during one of the most depressing and unprecedented conditions the entire world had seen in decades. But even though I’m massively sceptical on principle about feel-good comedies, this show managed against all my expectations to do it right.
This is a good point. I didn’t start watching it during lockdown but I did start it whilst coming out of a period of significant stress, and seasons 1 and 2 were exactly what I needed at the time. Feel good, undemanding, and at times sharply funny. :thumbs:

This is a good point. I didn’t start watching it during lockdown but I did start it whilst coming out of a period of significant stress, and seasons 1 and 2 were exactly what I needed at the time. Feel good, undemanding, and at times sharply funny. :thumbs:
I think some people, including a few in here judging by comments I’ve seen over time, got the wrong end of the stick when they first heard the premise is about an American clueless about football being brought in as the new manager of a Premier League club.

I know at least one person who assumed the tone of the series was going to be about a Yank being parachuted in and owning the English at their own game, so he refused to give it a try. Which of course is the complete opposite of the actual premise.

I think some people, including a few in here judging by comments I’ve seen over time, got the wrong end of the stick when they first heard the premise is about an American clueless about football being brought in as the new manager of a Premier League club.

I know at least one person who assumed the tone of the series was going to be about a Yank being parachuted in and owning the English at their own game, so he refused to give it a try. Which of course is the complete opposite of the actual premise.
Yep. Northern Exposure but set at a 2020s London football club rather than 1990s Alaska. :thumbs: Except the protagonist actually wants to be there. And there’s none of the mysticism. Ok not much like NE :oops::D but it’s that kind of format.

I know them dumping the whole season in one day means there's less speculative stuff but if someone can direct me to more of the same style I won't be replaying the whole lot again when it finishes in about an hour. It was like watching Russel Howard's good news when it was good versus watching the news. People actually acknowledged as human beings and being positive about it instead of nonsensical drama. So many themes explored like a normal person did it. Not someone trying to make something controversial.

Also fuck off apple I downloaded it.
They didn’t dump the whole season in one day. Episodes came out weekly, as is good and proper

They didn’t dump the whole season in one day. Episodes came out weekly, as is good and proper
Thats annoying, I only heard about it the other day and it was all there. Figured it was all the same time, my mistake.

Don’t want to derail the thread for long, but on the subject of weekly instalments vs whole series dumping at once, I prefer the latter but respect those who prefer the former, which undoubtedly has its merits. But what pisses me off is that most platforms/ services drip-feeding episodes do so on Fridays and Wednesdays for the most part. Other than Succession on Mondays, there’s often no new episodes of any series shown on any platform on Tuesdays, Thursdays, or Saturdays. The BBC at least covers Sundays from time to time.

There should be new episodes dropped on every day of the week by at least one network or streaming service, goddamn it :mad:

Don’t want to derail the thread for long, but on the subject of weekly instalments vs whole series dumping at once, I prefer the latter but respect those who prefer the former, which undoubtedly has its merits. But what pisses me off is that most platforms/ services drip-feeding episodes do so on Fridays and Wednesdays for the most part. Other than Succession on Mondays, there’s often no new episodes of any series shown on any platform on Tuesdays, Thursdays, or Saturdays. The BBC at least covers Sundays from time to time.

There should be new episodes dropped on every day of the week by at least one network or streaming service, goddamn it :mad:
Yup I prefer the all at once cos I can binge it, tho I then binge it and am immediately wanting more episodes. Especially bad if its the last series! While we have sky and stuff I never watch anything live except football, then I can skim ads and whatever. Got too used to having a home server, its irrationally irritating to sit through a few minutes of shite because something is live.

binging shouldn’t be allowed IMO.
A disgraceful habit that streaming services encourage far too much.

Back
Top Bottom