Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How can I get broadband for less than a year?

AnnO'Neemus

Is so vanilla
I understand most broadband providers require customers to sign up to a contract for at least one or two years.

Are there any providers who don't? I've no idea how long I'll be staying in a flat I've just moved to, might be three months or six months, might be a year, might be longer, I don't know. But I don't want to sign up for a 12 month contract in case I only end up spending, say, five months here.

Or what happens if you do sign up for a 12 month contract and try to cancel it sooner on the grounds you no longer live at that address? Do they still make you pay for the whole 12 months? Any way round it?

A PAYG dongle might be an option but the connection can be a bit naff. I think mine is from Talktalk but when I tried to buy it they claimed they don't do one.

I remember having a month by month proper broadband contract in 2013 but it was £50 a month even back then. the company was useless and has since disappeared and it would have probably worked out cheaper to do a years contract and just pay it all off or break it.

I believe you might be able to take contracts with you when you move?

Tagging on to this thread but just generally anyone have a suggestion for best broadband supplier (not necessarily for less than a year)? I've actually just signed up for zen but they've this morning told me they don't offer e-mail accounts any more (e.g. xxxx@zen.co.uk) which seems very strange behaviour.

Tagging on to this thread but just generally anyone have a suggestion for best broadband supplier (not necessarily for less than a year)? I've actually just signed up for zen but they've this morning told me they don't offer e-mail accounts any more (e.g. xxxx@zen.co.uk) which seems very strange behaviour.

I don't think that's uncommon. Most people don't want their email to be tied to their Internet provider, in case they change.

Virgin has been fantastic for me, by far the fastest, although I've heard in other areas people's milage may vary.

Ah fair enough.

Don't like Virgin as a company though although probably no worse than any other. Not keen on BT either so I'm cutting down on my options.

Yes I may do. I do actually have one now that's not tied to isp but I was hoping to do away with the £100 a year it costs for forwarding.

I phoned the zen helpline yesterday and hung up after 20 minutes which wasn't too impressive but hopefully that's a temporary thing. They picked up immediately and were really helpful this morning.

Ta :) Their decision not to do @zen.co.uk is a lot more understandable now.

Back
Top Bottom