Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Hotmail question please

panpete

Blokes name, birds body.
Hello
I have had a hotmail email address as my main email, for about twenty years, which became outlook.
I have lots of important emails that I need to keep, emails and photos.
I use apple devices, but not their email, as I wanted to keep hotmail. I use apple cloud storage.
I got an email from email.mail.onedrive.com today, saying the following:-
"Starting 01/02/2023, storage used across Microsoft 365 apps and services will include Outlook.com attachments and OneDrive data. This may reduce the amount of storage you have available to use with your OneDrive and impact your ability to send and receive emails in Outlook.com.To help during this transition, enjoy 3 months of Microsoft 365 Personal for free. You’ll get 1 TB of secure storage so you can continue saving important files and photos without interruption, plus premium OneDrive and ad-free Outlook!"

I have a few questions please
Does this mean I will have to buy one drive at £1.99 a month to avoid any inability to send and receive emails?
How will it affect my future ability to send and receive emails?
I am happy to keep using hotmail, as my main email address, but I am not sure how these changes will affect me.
I don't want to lose the emails I have sent and received.
I don't want my email address to change, as that happened before when they introduced changes and I went along with them.
All help appreciated please?
Thanks

Last edited:
Mail attachments didn't use to count against your storage limit but will do beginning later this year. Chances are you'll be fine but if you do have loads of big photo files etc you might need to delete some (after downloading if you want a copy).
They'll be offering extra cloud storage free for a while during transition but after a while it'll be paid. I'm not sure if it's some sneaky thing where you might get caught up if you forget to cancel.

Mail attachments didn't use to count against your storage limit but will do beginning later this year. Chances are you'll be fine but if you do have loads of big photo files etc you might need to delete some (after downloading if you want a copy).
They'll be offering extra cloud storage free for a while during transition but after a while it'll be paid. I'm not sure if it's some sneaky thing where you might get caught up if you forget to cancel.
Hello and thanks
I have lots of official emails that I need to keep for my records and some of them have photos on them, that I need to keep.
Will I lose these?
Will my email address change?
If I choose to try the 3 months of Microsoft 365 Personal for free will my email address change.
I am worried I won't be able to access my past emails that I need to keep.
What do I need to do now, as I am worried about losing the official emails I sent and received with photos.
Do you know if there is a telephone number or a chat line I can speak to a member of staff to discuss?

Hello and thanks
I have lots of official emails that I need to keep for my records and some of them have photos on them, that I need to keep.
Will I lose these?
Will my email address change?
If I choose to try the 3 months of Microsoft 365 Personal for free will my email address change.
I am worried I won't be able to access my past emails that I need to keep.
What do I need to do now, as I am worried about losing the official emails I sent and received with photos.
Do you know if there is a telephone number or a chat line I can speak to a member of staff to discuss?
The emails will mostly not take up much space, and if it's only a few with photos you might be fine. if you go into settings->general-> storage in Outlook you can see now much you're currently using; I'm using just under 4 gigs of 15 gb free storage.

The emails will mostly not take up much space, and if it's only a few with photos you might be fine. if you go into settings->general-> storage in Outlook you can see now much you're currently using; I'm using just under 4 gigs of 15 gb free storage.
Will I be able to keep that free storage after tomorrow?
I will check my settings to see how much I have got and will come back if I have any more queries.

Will I be able to keep that free storage after tomorrow?
I will check my settings to see how much I have got and will come back if I have any more queries.
Seems that way, your free storage remains and then you can sign up for extra which will be initially free then charged for, so obviously don't do that unless you really need it, and I would look to download and delete first if you are over the limit because I hate recurring fees.

I expect you'll be fine if I am; I use that account for work and send and receive loads of attachments including things like powerpoint and video files I work on.

Here is a screenshot of my storage up to now.
Will I just have to keep an eye on my storage and do nothing else?
Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 14.39.24.png

I expect you'll be fine if I am; I use that account for work and send and receive loads of attachments including things like powerpoint and video files I work on.
The email I got says this though "Starting 01/02/2023, storage used across Microsoft 365 apps and services will include Outlook.com attachments and OneDrive data. This may reduce the amount of storage you have available to use with your OneDrive and impact your ability to send and receive emails in Outlook.com."

The email I got says this though "Starting 01/02/2023, storage used across Microsoft 365 apps and services will include Outlook.com attachments and OneDrive data. This may reduce the amount of storage you have available to use with your OneDrive and impact your ability to send and receive emails in Outlook.com."
Not really investigated but this sound more the other way - they're lumping in all the cloud storage together so you'll get the email attachments added on to your OneDrive amount, but sounds like you're not really using the latter so you won't notice any change.

Similar to me then, looks like you'll be fine if that's all your old stuff and you've not even used a third of the free allowance (which is not changing).
Will they keep the free allowance?
I got rid of some emails and here is my usage now-under 4gb
Is it just a case of watching my usage?
Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 16.26.24.png

Hello
I have had a hotmail email address as my main email, for about twenty years, which became outlook.
I have lots of important emails that I need to keep, emails and photos.
I use apple devices, but not their email, as I wanted to keep hotmail. I use apple cloud storage.
I got an email from email.mail.onedrive.com today, saying the following:-
"Starting 01/02/2023, storage used across Microsoft 365 apps and services will include Outlook.com attachments and OneDrive data. This may reduce the amount of storage you have available to use with your OneDrive and impact your ability to send and receive emails in Outlook.com.To help during this transition, enjoy 3 months of Microsoft 365 Personal for free. You’ll get 1 TB of secure storage so you can continue saving important files and photos without interruption, plus premium OneDrive and ad-free Outlook!"

I have a few questions please
Does this mean I will have to buy one drive at £1.99 a month to avoid any inability to send and receive emails?
How will it affect my future ability to send and receive emails?
I am happy to keep using hotmail, as my main email address, but I am not sure how these changes will affect me.
I don't want to lose the emails I have sent and received.
I don't want my email address to change, as that happened before when they introduced changes and I went along with them.
All help appreciated please?
Thanks
i disconnected my phone from One Drive cos it barely worked anyway , you should realise that every photo you take hotmail now duplicate it on one drive unless you disconnect it , its a proper shitty thing for them to do cos people have valuable photos on One drive

i disconnected my phone from One Drive cos it barely worked anyway , you should realise that every photo you take hotmail now duplicate it on one drive unless you disconnect it , its a proper shitty thing for them to do cos people have valuable photos on One drive
I no longer send photos to myself on hotmail, I periodically check settings to make sure I am within the free allowance. Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom