Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Honestly, Pearl Jam or Stone Temple Pilots?

Who are better?

• Pearl Jam

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • STP

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
I have to say tho, that he liked and played pearl jam too.. and one of his fav memories was ten years old watching them live from back stage in aus, whilst his dad opened for them playing drums in Pirana.

Just something about the stp thing he had going on makes me squirm now. Not in a nice way. I suppose he ruined STP for me really. Bastard.

Pearl Jam are still producing high quality new albums 30 years after being formed. Their last one was issued in 2020. I’ve seen them live many times and their sheer technical musicianship is phenomenal. To quote Wikipedia:

Pearl Jam had sold more than 85 million albums worldwide by 2018, including nearly 32 million albums in the United States by 2012,[4] making them one of the best-selling bands of all time. Pearl Jam was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2017 in its first year of eligibility.[5] They were ranked at No. 8 in a reader poll by Rolling Stone magazine in its "Top Ten Live Acts of All Time" issue.[6]

Mike McCready can lay reasonable claims to being up there with the very best lead guitarists and Eddy Vedder’s voice is perfectly matched to the music. And the pair of them blend so perfectly — McCready uses his guitar like a voice that is trying to tell you something urgent and important whilst Vedder uses his voice like an instrument, raw and primal. When they blend, it’s hard to tell where guitar ends and voice starts.

Their best albums aren’t really the best known ones. I have a love for Binaural, No Code and Backspacer, none of which contain songs that I expect are known at all by many of the people who will make pronouncements about the band on this thread. Bands evolve or die and Pearl Jam are amongst the best at it.

But that’s just, like, my opinion, man. If you don’t like them, that’s your loss, not mine.

Vitalogy and Vs are pretty much perfect albums - No Code wasn't bad either but it did seem to go downhill a bit from there. I was a proper fanboy back in the day, trading bootlegs with people around the world in the early days of the internet (this was pre web when it was just flashing white text on a black screen). It was quite a geeky community.

As said, McCready is one of the great lead guitarists of all time IMO. And Eddie's voice... well.

Was never into either of them, but Stone Temple Pilots sound like a reasonable Nirvana knock off band and Pearl Jam just sound like really hard work to me. I really don't get it the latter but they're probably the better band. So I'm voting STP.

Pearl Jam are still producing high quality new albums 30 years after being formed. Their last one was issued in 2020. I’ve seen them live many times and their sheer technical musicianship is phenomenal. To quote Wikipedia:

Mike McCready can lay reasonable claims to being up there with the very best lead guitarists and Eddy Vedder’s voice is perfectly matched to the music. And the pair of them blend so perfectly — McCready uses his guitar like a voice that is trying to tell you something urgent and important whilst Vedder uses his voice like an instrument, raw and primal. When they blend, it’s hard to tell where guitar ends and voice starts.

Their best albums aren’t really the best known ones. I have a love for Binaural, No Code and Backspacer, none of which contain songs that I expect are known at all by many of the people who will make pronouncements about the band on this thread. Bands evolve or die and Pearl Jam are amongst the best at it.
#jamaddict

Was never into either of them, but Stone Temple Pilots sound like a reasonable Nirvana knock off band and Pearl Jam just sound like really hard work to me. I really don't get it the latter but they're probably the better band. So I'm voting STP.

They're completely different bands. Which is why the 'grunge' label was always so absurd. Cobain absolutely despised pearl jam but the media made a whole oasis/blur thing out of it because they were around at the same time and from the same city. STP were lumped into a bit too, soundgarden, even the pumpkins. all totally different bands.

Purple is an incredible record

Was actually obsessed with them when I was 16. When they played four nights at Shepherds Bush in 2003, I went to three of them :oops:

My ear has definitely changed since then :/

I wasn't obsessed but Daniel Johns was an incredible vocalist/songwriter considering he was only 15 (literally) and was just trying to copy Eddie Vedder when he won that song contest which launched them. As far as I remember he then developed anorexia and it all went tits up.

Back
Top Bottom